PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get to Bludenz, Austria

Tonic Please
29th Dec 2003, 03:17
Hi. Hope this is the correct forum. Cant see anywhere else it will go!

I am planning on seeing some friends in Bludenz, Austria next Feb. She says that the closest airports are friedrichshafen (glad she can spelll well) and /or Zürich. then take a coach I guess from thyere to the hotel. She said the most expensive one but the closest is Aprè-ski. I guess she nkows if she has lived there all her life.

The cheapest flight I found from dial a flight was 78 plus 25 odd quid in taxes. Not bad in my book compared to my 450+ flights to Canada!

Anyone give me a little help on getting there from 2nd Feb to 14th ish kinda time.

Thanks in advanced...Dan

Smooth skies :) (any chance of a jump seat nowadays if i give notice and proof of citizenship?)

:)

larry walker
29th Dec 2003, 03:45
Bludenz is 140 km from Zurich ,and 95 km from Friedrichshafen.

You should be able to get flights OK to Zurich.

Another possibility is the new scheduled service from Gatwick to Innsbruck. Bludenz is on the main rail route from the Austrian Tyrol to Switzerland.

wobblyprop
29th Dec 2003, 15:32
ryanair fly to Friedrichshafen from stansted.

Georgeablelovehowindia
29th Dec 2003, 19:22
If you're coming from Canada, then probably the easiest way to do it is to fly to Zurich and take the train. The station is underneath the airport terminal. As previously stated, Bludenz is on the main line into Austria.

Tonic Please
30th Dec 2003, 01:20
Oh, think I made it unclear. I actually LIVE in the UK. I meant that the flight being 100 odd quid, is slightly cheaper than my regular trips to Canada of 400 pounds plus! :)

But thanks guys. A great help. Id prefer to fly from Heathrow. I just needed to know if there were any other popular flights that flew there, or if there is a train (as someone has said), or a cheap taxi there.

What is the price of things in Austria? Is in an expensive country to my pound? They in the Euro arent they? I know sod all about economics, im afraid, and I am not expecting some preacher to come laong and tell me that I should do. I DONT.

Thanks again :)

Smooth skies,

Dan

LGS6753
30th Dec 2003, 02:35
Unless you have a death wish, don't fly from LHR.

EasyJet fly Luton-Zurich 3 times a day.
Cheap and convenient at both ends.

Tonic Please
30th Dec 2003, 03:11
How is it a death wish may I ask?

LGS6753
30th Dec 2003, 03:19
Root canal treatment is an unbridled pleasure compared to departing from Heathrow.

Tonic Please
30th Dec 2003, 03:48
:} I have flown out many times before. Its not REALLY that bad. What makes you say that?

Anyone else agree?

LGS6753
30th Dec 2003, 04:16
Unfortunately, our only world-class airport is extremely overcrowded, dirty, poorly designed, inconvenient to use, difficult to access, expensive, and seems to attract 'jobsworth' staff, who in fairness are probably overworked as well as stressed by their surroundings.
I much prefer smaller airports with better surface connections and fewer people. I'm afraid my experiences of LHR (as SLF) have been universally unpleasant.

Of course, if you know different, tell the world....:D

Tonic Please
30th Dec 2003, 04:52
I totally understand mate! I'm not trying to argue or anything, I just wanted to understand your opinion. :)

The main reason I say Heathrow/Gatwick is because they are closer to me (in Surrey), and I would prob have no way of getting to Luton. Quite a drive, and all the family would prob want to see me off. (Mum sis n dad). That meas off work and school. Whereas, Dad works at LHR so he could pop me in some day. Yes, he IS overworked and stressed. I understand what you mean. He's with cargo managing though.

If I can, I will get a lift there to Luton. Im going to check the prices of Easyjet now to Zurich.

I would fly Ryanair, but I want to fly to Zurich, not get on their advertised flights to Zurich and end up in Southern Norway and have to make my own way to Bludenz/Zurich. :} :ok:

Georgeablelovehowindia
30th Dec 2003, 18:16
See: www.switzerlandtourism.ch (Endless hours of fun!)

It has train/bus timetables and also details of the travelcard which you can pre-purchase on the internet, saving up to 50%

Your departure point is Zurich Flughafen. Fastest transit time I can see immediately is 2hr 22 min with one change.

cargoflyer
30th Dec 2003, 19:55
@ Dan,
why not try and find something to " ALTENRHEIN " Airport which is basically just accross from Bregenz (Austria) in Switzerland. From there to Bludenz it`s approx 50-60 km`s... - Can`t remember the 3-letter code for the place, but the 4-letter one is : LSZR

Yes, Austria is in the €-zone, and if you are going to a touristic area be aware that the prices might be a little bit elevated compared to other parts of country.. generally speaking reasonable on the price side ...

Cheers

LGWAlan
9th Jan 2004, 20:58
@Dan

Altenrhein (ACH) is only accessible with OS from VIE - you would be able to get a LHR-VIE-ACH routing. The VIE-ACH are ops either ERJ or DH3/4. ACH is from what I remember a small private airfield and although actually in Switzerland I believe counts as a donestic flight.

http://www.airport-stgallen.com

WHBM
10th Jan 2004, 01:59
Root canal treatment is an unbridled pleasure compared to departing from Heathrow.
That's ridiculous. I live close to London City and if I can't use that, Heathrow is my next choice. So it is for many millions of others. If the Bermuda 2 restrictions and slots were lifted, all the US airlines at Gatwick would be in Heathrow tomorrow morning. So would all the remaining BA longhauls as well.

My airport of non-choice is (not too far away) Stansted, disorganised, exceptionally rude and customer-unfriendly security staff, etc etc.