PDA

View Full Version : Converting Aussie CPL to work in the UK

Zulu_One
29th Dec 2003, 01:54
Hello all,
Just wondering if anyone has either done this and/or can provide any information.

I have an Australian CPL with around 300 hrs TT flying light singles for an outback Charter company.

I also have UK dual citizenship and passport, and want to move to the UK/England after I build up some more hours to work as a pilot there. So I want to convert my licence and also want to know if I should get my frozen ATPL here or over there ... I am mainly concerned with costs and also procedures involved in converting over ...

Any information appreciated

Cheers

Z1

redsnail
29th Dec 2003, 16:18
You can try searching these and the Dununda forums. The topic has been done many times.
Search also the CAA's website so you get the actual info pertaining to your situation.
Go to LASORS section G for the ATPL CAA info (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp)
There is talk that the process will become more streamlined in the future. So far I have seen no evidence of this.
I converted an Australian ATPL to a JAR one. It isn't cheap and it certainly isn't a speedy process.
If I were you, I'd get the Australian ATPL subjects done. This does give you an insight into what to expect with the JAR ATPL. (Note, at the moment, as I understand there is no one providing you with CPL theory in the UK) If you can, I know it's tough but try your hardest to get some multi crew turbine time. This makes life a lot easier for converting and getting work in the UK. It will save you some money too. Of course, you may well decide that Oz is ok.
These costs are based on an Australian going to the UK to do the flying and theory. I believe there are some places in the USA that also offer courses. I don't know any of their details.
In a nutshell, assuming no multi crew time etc.
Medical. ~200 quid. Must be done at Gatwick.
Theory. ~ 2000 quid done via Distance Learning. Time? 6-12 months.
*If you go full time, it's a minimum of 6 months in the classroom, so add ~100 quid/week on top. Course costs ~3-4000 pounds.
Exams. 14 of them. ~ 800 quid.
*Note, distance learning has 2 by 2 week on campus brush up components. This must be done in the UK. Exams can only be done in the UK, definitely not in Australia.
Flying. Here's where it becomes fun. You'll need to speak to various operators for the costs. Basicly, if it costs $A300/hr, just change it to a Pounds Sterling sign. A min of 15 hours is required to convert an ICAO instrument rating. Some of which can be done in a sim. I believe there is also a CPL flight test involved as well. (Check that with LASORS)
Getting the licence itself. ~200 quid.
As usual, there's more costs. Since you don't have 500 hours multi pilot.crew time, you'll need an MCC. That's ~2000 quid at least.
At the moment, the low houred guys are still finding it tough to get a start. It is improving. Many operators will only look at you if you've gone through a mob such as CTC/McAlpine. Check out their costs.

I haven't given you the exact prices as they do change. Usually upwards. However, you'll get a feel for the cost.