PDA

View Full Version : Be90 king air FO

winch launch
28th Dec 2003, 22:00
Hi,

I would like to know what is the very minimum requirements to fly a Be90 king air on the right seat, and to log hours for it. What I don t understand with that aircraft is that it is a JAR25 one, but apparently it can be flown with one pilot only. So do you need an MCC for that kind of aircraft? If I am flying next to a captain that has a CPL-IR-MEP, does it mean that I need the same qualifications?(the reason i am asking that is because since you apparently only need one pilot to fly that plane, then I thought that the Optional FO, might not need as much qualifications.) If you fly the plane as the optional FO, without asking for being paid, then do you need the CPL?
Do i need a type rating, and if yes what are the minimum requirements to start it?
Sorry for all those questions. A friend told me that he knew a guy that didn t have a CPL, but that managed to fly a pilatus PC-6(single engine turbo prop) without being paid of course. So I was wondering if it was possible to do the same with the right seat of a king air, which is apparently optional.

Thanx in advance if someone can make that issue easier to understand.

Winch

IRRenewal
28th Dec 2003, 22:08
King Air is a single pilot aircraft, but most operators find it is not possible to get affordable insurance for single pilot public transport operations. It turns out cheaper to pay an F/O. This F/O will need to be type rated.

On positioning flights and/or private operations there is nothing stopping you from sitting in the right hand seat without a type rating and if you have a valid FRTO licence you can even do the radio, however unless the guy in the other seat has a valid instructor rating on type you cannot log the time.

Regards

Gerard

PSD
29th Dec 2003, 02:42
And actually...

The rules say that with only a PPL your rights are to SHARE the total cost with your passengers...

So you can not sit as a non-paid F/O without a CPL doing to this fact.. but you can sit as a F/O and share the cost with your passengers.

You ALWAYS need a typerating or be on an approved typerating course to log flight time. In a piston airplane below 5700 kg you still need a "class rating" like SEP Land or SEP sea or ME ... and so on.

concordino
29th Dec 2003, 05:01
winch launch

you might want to check your references but the Be90 is not a JAR25 airplane.

it is certified as single pilot airplane both under JAR and FAR and so it is a JAR/FAR 23.