12th Oct 2001, 06:18
From Todays Toronto Star

Thestar.com > GTA > Crime
Oct. 11, 2001. 02:00 AM

Printer friendly version Mail this story to a friend
Charges dropped in testicle case
Tracy Huffman
STAFF REPORTER

The Pickering man who allegedly had his testicles torn from his scrotum by his common-law wife got his wish yesterday.

An aggravated assault charge against Donna Crichton was withdrawn.

Crichton, a 42-year-old clerical worker, appeared in an Oshawa courtroom just long enough to hear that prosecutors do not wish to pursue the charge because "there's no reasonable prospect of a conviction."

Her common-law husband, Barrington Wynn, 46, was not in court to hear the news. Shortly after her arrest he told reporters he deserved what he got. He also said he thought the case should be thrown out.

Prosecutors alleged that an assault occurred at the couple's home Aug. 27. Crichton intervened in a dispute between Wynn and one of the couple's children, court was told. As a result, the skin surrounding Wynn's testicles was torn, according to Wynn, who was treated at hospital.

"I asked him (my son) about something and he told me a lie, and I started slapping him," Wynn said at Crichton's August bail hearing. "She (Crichton) thought I was slapping him too hard. So she grabbed me. She just grabbed on to my nuts, telling me to leave the kid alone."

Crichton — who had been in a relationship with Wynn for 25 years at the time of the incident — has no criminal record or history of violence.

Outside court yesterday, Crichton would not comment on the case. She smiled when asked how she felt about the charge being dropped.

The crown's decision to withdraw the charge "is entirely appropriate," Crichton's lawyer, Irwin Aisen, said.

Aisen said he had no complaints about the police officers who charged Crichton, adding they acted properly under the circumstances.

It was for prosecutors to decide whether to pursue the charge, he said. "The discretion that was exercised by the crown was appropriate in this case."

[ 12 October 2001: Message edited by: widgeon ]