PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool Airport

dfearns
28th Dec 2003, 03:55
Apparently,
According to some of the Liverpool press, the London City route is in very high demand at the moment, that should keep VLM happy for a bit!

Liverpool Airport its self is in expansion again, they have had over 3 million people flying out there this year, And with euroManx now bringing in larger aircraft than they were (From a Beech 1900 to an ATR 42) This is due to a significant increase in demand.

Jetmagic now fly out of Liverpool to cork twice daily.

Air Wales flying to:
Cardiff twice daily
Newcastle twice daily
Plymouth Daily

easyJet are planning to base another aircraft at Liverpool.

P&O Cruises offering Liverpool as an airport to fly from to the Caribbean.

Liverpool as a city takes a lot of stick, but with the Capital Of Culture award and various other things going on the reputation of the city is on the rise, and it's well deserved!

Does anyone know of any rumours of any new routes starting from Liverpool?

DFearns

dada
28th Dec 2003, 20:55
and why does it take stick i wonder eh eh calm down eh

AOG-YYZ
28th Dec 2003, 23:18
and why does it take stick i wonder?

I often wonder that too. I find Liverpool to be the freindliest most interesting city in England. Liverpool has magnificent architecture a massive dock system with locks bigger than the Panama Canal, it's waterfront has been copied by at least two other cities, the Metropolitan Cathedral has been copied by a number of cathedrals, Rio being one of them. The Anglican cathedral is the largest church in that faith and the last of the great gothic cathedrals to be built. St. Georges Hall is the finest public building constructed in Europe in the past 200 years. As for sport, it has the Grand National Steeplechase, two great soccer teams and five golf courses rated in the top 50 in the world, two of them are in the top ten links. Liverpool galleries and museums are the envy of most capital cities and the concert orchestra is, without question, world class. Even some of it's pubs are tourist attractions. And I haven't even mentioned the Beatles.
But what do I know, I'm only a Canadian.
:D :D :D

surely not
28th Dec 2003, 23:54
Two great soccer teams????????

That would be Tranmere Rovers and ?:D

dwlpl
29th Dec 2003, 01:05
Tranmere Rovers in the city of Liverpool?

Surely not, surely not.

Wing Commander Fowler
29th Dec 2003, 01:54
... not a Liverpool basher by any means but - St. Georges Hall is the finest public building constructed in Europe in the past 200 years - They built the bloody thing back to front!!!

:O

chiglet
29th Dec 2003, 03:08
"Top Golf Courses" in
LIVERPOOL LOL,LOL,LOL
"Mersyside" has 1 That is ONE "Royal Birkdale"
I've played a LOT of golf in the area, and YES there are some superb GCs, but 5 in the top 50..:{ :{
Liverpool Phil, not bad..the Hall, very intimate. There are better Orchestras and venues.
Yes, Liverpool will be the "City of Culture" and good luck to them. I just hope that the experience will be better than the "Garden Display"
watp,iktch

Caslance
29th Dec 2003, 04:43
Shame the Council flogged off one of the finest Music Libraries in Europe though, what with being City of Culture and all that.....:ooh:

AOG-YYZ
29th Dec 2003, 04:49
chiglet:
Take it up with the British Tourist Board, it is from their publication here in North America that I gleaned the information from. The golf courses they listed are, Royal Liverpool (Hoylake) which they describe as THE "Premier English Links Course", Royal Birkdale, Formby, Hillside and Southport & Ainsdale.

And as for better orchestra's, certainly not the Halle, which is now a shadow of it's former self. I think the Halle died when John Barbarolli left. The BTA publication describes the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra thus:
"And mid-way between the two stunning monuments to the Devinity on Hope Street stands the Philharmonic Hall were the devine sounds of the worlds second oldest and one of the worlds truly great orchestras can be heard eminating from the accusticly non pariell hall. Which incidentally is the only orchestra in the UK to play in it's own purpose built hall".

Wing Commander:
Having seen St. Georges Hall, inside and out, I think I would concur with the BTB, assesment, back-to-front or not.
:p :p :p

dwlpl
29th Dec 2003, 04:52
Re St Georges Hall.

Which side is the back and which is the front?

Mouser
29th Dec 2003, 06:53
Wondered how long it would take for the Manc's to chirp up!

dada
29th Dec 2003, 14:58
calm down lad eh eh

symphonyangel
29th Dec 2003, 16:29
AOG-YYZ - The Royal Liverpool, Hoylake golf course is the venue of the British Open in a couple of years. I hardly think the Royal and Ancient would not pick one of Britain's premier courses for this event. The northwest should be proud of its golf courses and deserves to be recognised as England's Golf Coast, stretching as you say from the Southport and Formby courses down to the Wirral. Surely not even the most provincial of Mancunians can deny Liverpool that.

dwlpl
29th Dec 2003, 17:09
Re the last posting, it was not AOG-YYZ, but chiglet, that was doubting the quality of golf courses.

Also, Formby Hall is another 'up and coming' golf course in the area.

chiglet
29th Dec 2003, 17:50
"Liverpool" golf courses......
Soutport is in Merseyside, [used to be in Cheshire] Hoylake is on the Wirral, [also used to be in Cheshire, I believe]
quote "I've played a LOT of golf in the area, and YES there are some superb GCs, but 5 in the top 50?"
I am not "Knocking" the 'pool, but don't confuse the City with its County.
I didn't know that Hoylake was hosting the Open, that'll be fun
watpiktch

dwlpl
29th Dec 2003, 18:02
You did not know that the Royal Liverpool is to host the Open, and you a golfer!

I think you will find it has done so a few times (ten) in the past as well.

BTW, I trust that you are not in the transport/travel industry because you geography is all to pot.:ok:

kick the tires
29th Dec 2003, 19:56
without sounding boring, a second bus to service the 3 million passengers wouldnt go amiss!!

AOG-YYZ
29th Dec 2003, 20:39
chiglet wrote:
"I'm not knocking the pool"

Of course you are and are constantly doing it. You make snide remarks, inuendo, little derogatory assides and out-and-out untruths. You have, in my opinion, a very unhealthy hatred of your neighbouring city, which cannot be explained away by claiming "local, good natured rivalry".

Chiglet wrote:
"I've played lots of golf in the area, but 5 in the top 50?"

Take it up with the British Tourist Authority who publish the informatiom for the market over here. Here's something else that they say about Royal Liverpool (Hoylake); "Hoylake, as Royal Liverpool is fondly known, has hosted more open championships than any other English course although it has been off the rotation since 1967, the year Argentinian Roberto DiVincenzo took the Claret Jug. Royal St. Georges has only just cought up with Hoylake."

Pretty convincing for me.

Wing Commander Fowler
30th Dec 2003, 02:20
Dear deedubblyer of liverpool - good question!

Been a while since I've been back to look at it as my detention at her majesty's pleasure ended about seven years ago (doh! forgot about the new security disclosures.....) but from memory had a good view of it from my cell and seem to recall the original grand entrance was facing down towards the old tunnel entrance and the new proper entrance faced in kinda lime street direction.

Yes that would be the original escape tunnel I refer to - they had to build another due to congestion since the escape comitee didn't have enough muscle to prevent everyone escaping at once......

justinabeavor
30th Dec 2003, 02:30
What's all this Ra Ra Liverpool crap!, Anyone who's ever worked from there will tell you the situation is less than perfect:

*Not enough bus links to the town

*Only one hotel (bloody expensive) anywhere near the Airport, of course you have that s**t hole the Adelphi in the town or the other one the easy crews use

* City of culture!! more like vultures!

* its always "Ice-R-us" during the winter

Ok,on the positive side, the people are a good laugh, friendly, nick you anything for the right price, the drink's cheap, and the curry's good.

Is'nt that fat bloke with the orrible beard from there..Tomkinson or Tomlinson, surely every girls dream fella, makes my nipples har,yeah right.

LBAir
30th Dec 2003, 02:40
Not my opinion but........... Recently came back from Spain..... An Irish man thought I was from Liverpool and said to me "Did you know son, there are only 3 more shoplifting days to go untill Christmas!!"

from YORKSHIRE;)

Good to hear a fellow northern airport is doing well!!!:ok:

spekesoftly
30th Dec 2003, 03:12
chiglet wrote:Soutport is in Merseyside, [used to be in Cheshire]

When was that then; before or after Southport was in Lancashire? ;)

chiglet
1st Jan 2004, 00:39
speke,
Sorry, slip of the finger, I meant Lancashire, honest:confused:
dwlpl,
I play golf, very rarely watch it, but yes, it is a little remiss of me not knowing about the Open.
I have worked at Liverpool [Speke] in the past, and thoroughly enjoyed it:ok:
watpiktch

dwlpl
1st Jan 2004, 01:15
..... waiting for one of your 'anything to do with Liverpool hating/despising' punchlines.

chiglet
2nd Jan 2004, 01:57
dwlpl,
All I'll say, is that Liverpool and Edinburgh think alike:rolleyes:
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Mouser
2nd Jan 2004, 02:14
There you go dwlpl didnt take long.

chiglet
2nd Jan 2004, 04:26
Well as AOG-YYZ says, I'm always lying, denegrating and I also have a very unhealthy hatred of Liverpool.
What that has to do with the Capital of Scotland getting a new Terminal and [possibly] a 2nd runway, je ne sais pas
watpiktch

AOG-YYZ
2nd Jan 2004, 04:33
I have yet to find, on any other forum, anyone as rabid and anti anything as chiglet is anti-Liverpool. There is another contributer to this forum almost as bad as he is, but not quite. And do you know what? He knows precious little about his own city and much less about Liverpool.

Happy New Year to all.

Caslance
2nd Jan 2004, 05:15
Just what relevance has any of this, highly diverting though it is, to the subject at hand?

I was under the impression that we were discussing the welcome prospect of further expansion at Liverpool - clearly I was mistaken.

Does anyone know any more about the projected "fly-cruise" operation - ie, operator, type, etc???

chiglet
2nd Jan 2004, 05:37
Hey Cas
Do you think that our friend will invite us to Stockholm when he wins the Nobel Prize?
The "fly cruise" roumor, I feel is just that. There have been several "attempts " from Manch, some more successful than others. I hope that I am wrong, but time will tell. VLM "should" do well with support. Any news of "Longer Haul" ops yet [dwlpl, mouser, speke]? It's about time the 'pool flexed its muscles to grab a share.
watpiktch

Caslance
2nd Jan 2004, 05:44
Oooooo! Do you think he meant me then, Chiglet? How distressing......:zzz:

I have heard a rumour that Britannia are involved in the "fly-cruise" project, and I was just wondering if any of our colleagues from the far end of the M56 could shed any light on the matter.

dwlpl
2nd Jan 2004, 05:49
mouser

I was verrrry surprised it took more than 24 hours for chiplet to reply. Still I am glad to find he is a well balanced individual now that he two chipped shoulders, one chipped, Liverpool hating shouder and now the other shoulder is chipped with an equal loathing of Edinburgh it appears!

caslance

Information you wanted.

Cruise operator is PandO Cruises and will be sending people to the Caribbean from Liverpool on 19th November 2004 for a 15 night cruise called 'Simply Caribbean'.

The liner is the Adonia, aircraft is a Britannia 767 with prices starting from £1525.

More information at www.pandocruises.com .

Caslance
2nd Jan 2004, 05:52
So! My source was "on the money", then.

Cheers, dwlpl.:ok:

dwlpl
2nd Jan 2004, 05:58
caslance

It is indeed a pleasure to help you.

Getting back on track re the thread. If all/some rumours are true many of the readers/postees on PPRUNE will be surprised what is to happen at Liverpool in the coming months. :ok:

BAe 146-100
3rd Jan 2004, 19:28
What aircraft are to be used by easyJet on the new Liverpool - Berlin Schoenefeld service?

Thanks
BAe 146-100

ex-orange
5th Jan 2004, 08:16
Haven't noticed that any of you posters are from my home town (are you DW???)...so here goes -

St Georges hall is RUMOURED to have been built back to front - the said rumour also mentioning that the southern softie architect topped himself when he realised that the steps (which were supposed to have been built in the gardens - with the lions to protect the back of the building) were built coming down into the courtyard.

Sadly - there seem to be no plans to give Liverpool another runway - which is the only thing stopping it from becoming a great airport..as in all major cities the brown envelope talks loudest....

Chiglet - there will always be petty, small minded people who feel that they have to boost their own towns/egos by decrying other towns and their residents...obviously you are one of them and I would not demean myself by taking unction with you. However let me point out that for a golf club in Hoylake to be named after my illustrious and beautiful city can mean only one thing....

In addition - having lived in Southport for a not unconsiderable time (10 years) I was delighted to get back to the sanity of the Pool. Southport is more corrupt, base and has a higher crime rate per head than Liverpool.... need I say more????

Danny_R
5th Jan 2004, 09:23
Im on the border of Merseyside and Lancashire, but be just inside Merseyside as im an 0151, so ex-orange your not alone :D

chiglet
8th Jan 2004, 04:35
ex-o
Congratulations. You have now become a member of the "Most Exclusive Fan Club"
Your Welcome Pack is in the Post...enjoy
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

spitfire mk1
8th Jan 2004, 07:37
Danny, do you want to get involved? :D
I have worked at various airports including Liverpool and Manchester the latter when it was relatively unremarkable in size. I am glad to see both places doing well. Obviously my heart is in the 'Pool - but we can do without the recent bad publicity.

Danny_R
8th Jan 2004, 08:29
I will leave the bad mouthing of cities to the children among us, why can't we all just get along?

AOG-YYZ
8th Jan 2004, 21:51
Danny_R wrote: I will leave the bad mouthing of cities to the children among us

Hi Danny
I think that should read "City" as I can only find, in all the post's, just one city being "bad mouthed" and that city is Liverpool. I did, in one of my submissions, refer to the Manchester Halle Symphony Orchestra as being a "Shadow of it's former self". This was in response to a statement by 'chiglet' regarding "better ochestras" than the Liverpool Phil. And in my submissions I used, as reference, a publication distributed by the 'British Tourist Authority' to the travel industry in North America.

runawayedge
8th Jan 2004, 22:18
Maybe the best thing would be to flatten the airport....build two more fab golf courses...and then there might be seven of the top 50 golf courses in the world at Liverpool....the bus service could then be used elsewhere improving the bus service as well...any suggestions on names for the new courses...The Royal Lennon Links

ex-orange
10th Jan 2004, 08:27
Haven't received that welcome pack yet Chiglet.... - did you design it yourself??? You being the authority on all things Liverpudlian ;)