PDA

View Full Version : Computer Freezes On Start-Up (help)!

roach
27th Dec 2003, 22:13
Can anyone pls help with this problem?
W98 PIII 500Mhz
I changed a CD to a CD writer and then loaded the Nero software but instead of allowing the computer to restart someone pressed the reset button on the computer ( don't ask!). Now the computer boots to the point when the icons appear and the clock but it will go no further (the egg timer is now on all the time and the processor is inactive). Cont-alt-del gives no clues. Safe mode gives access but I don't know what to do now.
I have disabled the CD but the same happens
I have removed the Nero software ..no change
I was going to reload Nero or W98 over the existing files but in safe mode the CD is disabled.
The last thing I want to do is reformat (even if I knew how) as there are years of info and photos on the hard drive.
Thanks in advance for any replies and I am sitting in front of my own computer watching for a response...

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th Dec 2003, 06:08
roach,

Try pulling the Ribbon on the back of the CD Drive and see if it boots normally.

How many drives do you have on that Ribbon? (Do make sure you do not have two devices on that Ribbon with both being set to Master or both being set to Slave.)

Take Care,

Richard

roach
28th Dec 2003, 07:11
Thank you for the advice so far. The problem is that the PC "hangs" on start up, the icons appear and then the clock dissappears, if I put the mouse over the blank taskbar the egg timer appears. The processor has stopped clicking by this time and nothing else happens.
Richard...I have always read your informed comments with interest, the CD is a direct replacement for another and is the only device connected to the ribbon, it is also set as master. I tried a reboot with the cd disconnected but nothing else changed. I know the cd works because it allowed me to load the software before the reset button was pressed in error. I have this cd on my own PC with Nero and it works perfectly.
I am prepared to try anything except reformat as all the files and programs are there in safe mode.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th Dec 2003, 08:30
roach,

It sounds like you connected the drive correctly. By trying to boot without the drive connected eliminates the drive itself as the problem.

Try going into Safe Mode again and remove the CD Drive from the Device Manager. Then try to boot normally. If that does not work you will need to find the CD Drivers and manually remove them. (I doubt there would be anything in Add/Remove Programs.)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. You could disable the CD Drive in the Device Manager while in safe mode, if what I mentioned above does not let you boot normally.