PDA

View Full Version : Pubs near Alan Mann @ Fairoaks

The Nr Fairy
27th Dec 2003, 21:29
Doh - that's blown my cover !

I'm down at Alan Mann from 5th to 8th doing the 206 factory course. They mentioned that there's a pub nearby that they recommend for B&B - anyone know what it's called, and more to the point is it clean, tidy and value for money ?

flygunz
29th Dec 2003, 05:30
I believe it's called the Red Lion but not having stayed there can't say either way if it's ok or not. If you call Alan Mann they have an accommodation list. I've often wondered why there isn't a hotel at Fairoaks like the Aviator at Sywell, it might even make commercial sense!
Enjoy the course.

ppheli
30th Dec 2003, 00:26
NrF -
they may also recommend the Wheatsheaf 01483 773047 - that's certainly on ATCs recommended list if you get Wx bound.

Flygunz -
Commercial sense?? Manns?? I am not aware of the Mann Aviation group making any serious contribution to Alan's bank balance in years - I'd welcome a correction, but I think the last time the combined Fairoaks operation (sales, airport, fuel, property, training etc) made any decent "plus" figures was around 1980 when the 109 first came out and they sold five in a year (including Anglian Glazing, Westlands and Barratt Homes, I recall). Alan, meantime, makes his money from fish farming, while his long-term investor (who runs a Greek shipping line with yellow/black colours, yes that's relevant) seems to go along with it all.

Pubs - really, it depends who you ask. Pilots would advise the Sun in the High Street for beer, but engineers prefer the Red Lion. Never the twain.... and all that.

Hedski
30th Dec 2003, 06:02
You could also try the Metro or Holiday Inn in Woking town centre, 5 mins by car. Just be careful, Wetherspoons and the Rat n' Parrott are near, nightime etc.
Nightlife: woof woof ;)