PDA

View Full Version : Getting in2 Airline Ops

FinalsToLand
27th Dec 2003, 06:37
Hi People,
I'm after some advice,
currently work as a dispatcher for a handling agent at a regional u.k airfield but i really want to get into airline operations.

Whats the best way about doing this?
Ive only been dispatchin about a year, should i stick this out abit longer to get more experience then try?

Any/all advice accepted,
Cheaz :ok:
F.T.L

boredcounter
27th Dec 2003, 09:03
Dig out the contact details and write to all the Airlines with a C.V. enclosed.

One tip for you, if you are thinking of using e-mail, there are such things as capital letters. No not sarcasm, If an e-mail hits my Manager's inbox, as your post, in phone text fashion, it will last as long as it takes to delete. One years experience, ten or more!

Don't be scared to apply, telling the truth about your (stated here) experience. Just expect to start at the bottom, (without knowing your current salary) on less cash, in a trade full of 'dead mens shoes'.

There are plenty of threads here to read through on this subject.
Good luck, remember, if it is what you want, those who don't ask, don't get.

If you get the chance, focus on your strengths, and as with going for any job, it is up to you to sell yourself.

Use your foot in the door,

Bored

FinalsToLand
27th Dec 2003, 18:18
Thank's for the advice, I only use 'phone text' on forums and chats but when it comes down to writing out letters etc there always completed with capitals etc:ok:

F.T.L

Little Blue
28th Dec 2003, 00:45
Stick with dispatch/load control for as long as you enjoy it!
After nearly 11 years in Ops, I still really miss those days.
Ok, Ops will give u a bigger insight into the airline world, but, for me, I still haven't found a bigger buzz than walking thru a busy airport and "tramping the ramp"
Good luck

boredcounter
30th Dec 2003, 10:03
Given my year on the ramp, I beg to differ.....

Get off the ramp asap, the Ops room is Warm, dry and has coffee on tap. How can the buzz beat that?

I know what you mean really :)

Happy New Year all, stay warm, dry and stress-free if you can

Bored

BEST L/CONTROLLER
21st Jan 2004, 03:28
Get a bit more experience in the ramp, I do miss those days myself, as an ops/load controller for nearly 6 yrs I've been on the ramp and in the industry nearly 9 yrs now, I don't understand anyone who hates being on the ramp,

Try getting into ops or load control, like someone said earlier get the experience there also, airlines are a little reluctant to take people straight from the street as handling agents do, (i'm not sayin your from the street BTW) just get the experience doing the ground work, you'll love it in the end,

Everyone I've ever spoken to in this industry, from pilots to ATC controllers to station managers, they've all said it was the best time of their life on the ramp, I have to agree, the best job I've ever done, but I sure ther's 1 or 2 who differ that.

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Civil Servant
21st Jan 2004, 22:20
Was a Traffic Officer for British Midland in the early 70s.

Loved it, loved it, loved it.

As long as you enjoy it, unless you really want to get in out of the rain and wind, stay put. Ops pay is lousy at the lower levels and even at the mid/upper levels isn't fantastic given the degree of knowledge and skill you need to have as well as the responsibility. (Not to mention the cr@p that goes to and fro)

I've been Ops Officer, Ops Controller and Ops Manager. All have had their good points, but I always remembered my days as Traffic Officer with real fondness and a fair degree of whimsical nostalgia.