PDA

View Full Version : Oh oh, another Top 100 Albums list!

Radar Departure2
27th May 2001, 16:09
I know this has been around in various forms and will be again, but in the course of my surfing I happened to come across a Top 100 list, and even though we know we're going to howl in anguish at the selections, we have to see them, don't we?

This one came form Wall of Sound, whatever that may be, presumably a magazine. I'll just copy the Top 10 from the last four decades; you can check out the site if you want to see their final Top 100 list; I don't want to take the flak!

60’s

1. The Beatles
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. The Beatles
Abbey Road
3. The Doors
The Doors
4. Jimi Hendrix
Are You Experienced?
5. The Beatles
Revolver
6. The Who
Tommy
7. Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
8. Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin II
9. The Beach Boys
Pet Sounds
10. The Rolling Stones
Let It Bleed

70’s

1. Pink Floyd
Dark Side of the Moon
2. The Eagles
Hotel California
3. Fleetwood Mac
Rumours
4. Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin IV
5. The Beatles
Let It Be
6. Elton John
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
7. Van Halen
Van Halen
8. Boston
Boston
9. Simon and Garfunkel
Bridge Over Troubled Water
10. Queen
A Night at the Opera

80’s

1. U2
The Joshua Tree

2. The Police
Synchronicity

3. Michael Jackson
Thriller

4. Bruce Springsteen
Born in the U.S.A.

5. Guns N' Roses
Appetite for Destruction

6. Prince
Purple Rain Soundtrack

7. Peter Gabriel
So

8. Van Halen

9. U2
War

10. Paul Simon
Graceland

90’s

1. Nirvana
Nevermind

2. Pearl Jam
Ten

3. U2
Achtung Baby

4. Alanis Morissette
Jagged Little Pill

5. R.E.M.
Automatic for the People

6. Radiohead
OK Computer

7. Beck
Odelay

8. Smashing Pumpkins
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

9. Metallica
Metallica

10. Sarah McLachlan
Fumbling Towards Ecstasy

Here is the URL;

http://wallofsound.go.com/features/stories/top_100_albums/

Hey, if you're under 40, don't blame me!

RD

pax domina
27th May 2001, 20:57
I'm under 40 and think the list is a total piece of sh!t, although the 90s list is somewhat acceptable.

The 70s and 80s lists are particularly crap. Van f**king Halen and for f**k's sake Boston??!!!

The favourites of a bunch of clapped-out boring old farts! :mad:

PS - Nice to see you back, RD2! :) Get yerself to the CNS Bash, you know you'll have a lot of fun!

Hersham Boy
27th May 2001, 21:54
RD - you know I luv ya and I certainly love this thread, so here's mine....:

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Elton John)
Bachelor No.2 (Aimee Mann)
Shooting Rubberbands At The Stars (Edie Brickell)
Sgt. Peppers (Beatles)
Harvest (Neil Young)
Duke (Genesis)
The Colour Of Spring (Talk Talk)
Hunky Dory (Capt. Bowie)
Dark Side of The Moon (Pink Floyd)
Abbey Road (Beatles)

Woohoo!

Hershey

------------------
I'm in the hi-fidelity first class traveling set and I think I need a Lear jet

kopbhoy2
28th May 2001, 00:20
The 90's one is OK, however there's no way I'd have that whinging bint Morrisette on there...

My 10 favourites...(in no particular order)

The Beatles - 'Revolver'
Metallica - 'Master of puppets'
Thin Lizzy - 'Live & Dangerous'
The Stone Roses - 'The Stone Roses'
U2 - 'Achtung Baby'
Bob Dylan - 'The freewheelin'
Stiff Little Fingers - 'Inflammable Material'
Manic Street Preachers - 'The holy bible'
Metallica - 'Metallica'
Nirvana - 'Nevermind'

pjdj777
28th May 2001, 01:59
yeah, the 90's list has it's merrits, and the other lists have some damn fine albums there.

Thing is, I can never decide on this kind of thing, too many decent albums that suit too many moods. I've had a crack though, off the top of my head:

KingsX - Gretchen Goes to Nebraska
Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral
Radiohead - OK Computer
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Beatles - Sgt Pepper
Led Zeppelin - Presence
Goo Goo Dolls - Boy Named Goo
Deep Purple - In Rock
Jesus Christ Superstar OST (Feat Ian Gillan as Jesus)
Pearl Jam - 10

hmmm, some wierd stuff there, but I guess that's me, and I missed out some really important stuff to me like Free, Hendrix, Maiden, Foo Fighters, Blind Melon, Robert Johnson, oooh, it's harder than I thought

niteflite01
28th May 2001, 03:22
Here's mine in no particular order either :

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska
David Gray - Lost Songs 95-98
Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell
The Beatles - Abbey Road
Tom McRae - Tom McRae
Phil Collins - ...But Seriously
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Travis - The Man Who

Bit modern and a bit contraversial in parts but all fantastic :)

------------------
"Go around..I say again...go around"

pigboat
28th May 2001, 07:46
Pax, does this mean I gotta ditch my BeeGees and Abba 8-tracks? :)

kopbhoy2
28th May 2001, 13:21
Bugger...now I want to change mine! Forgot Springsteens 'Ghost of Tom Joad', Oasis' 'Definitely Maybe'....The Clash 'The Clash', first Iron Maiden album (punk NOT metal), AC/DC's 'Back in Black'...

pax domina
28th May 2001, 15:59
Pigboat - ummm, since this would require ditching my ABBA's Greatest Hits CDs (both volumes), an excellent promo CD sampler of mostly classic Bee Gees tracks (up through the disco heyday and including an extended version of "You Should Be Dancin'"), and a very scratchy and ancient vinyl record of Main Course (okay, so I really like the soaring vocals on "Fanny (Be Tender With My Love)", the answer is most definitely no!

;)

-signed-
pax d (the one with the strange, eclectic and bewildering, even to herself, music collection)

429 CJ
28th May 2001, 16:24
mmmmmmmmmmmmm, now let me see........ O.K, try these;

*1 Cold Chisel - Last Stand.
*2 Cold Chisel - Last Stand.
*3 C....... I think you get the idea too.........

.......*10 AC/DC - Blow up your video.

The Angels did some good stuff too!

Pax Does that mean no more playing More than a Feeling at 150 Db at 3am anymore? Bugger!

------------------
'Gravity' is just a myth that the earth sux.....anon.. (or was I just drunk again?)

[This message has been edited by 429 CJ (edited 28 May 2001).]

foghorn
28th May 2001, 16:29
Here goes my favourite list - everything from indie rock to dance music - what an unusual taste in music I have...

The Stone Roses The Stone Roses Does not lose its magic even after 12 years
Supergrass I should coco awesome
Pulp His n Hers Jarvis!
Fat Boy Slim Better Living Through Chemistry First album, best IMHO. I think he's going off these days
Underworld Beaucoup Fish Underworld never fail to make good music
Coldplay Parachutes Best album of last year
David Bowie Station to Station one of his wierdest and best
Various Radio One Essential Mix vol. 1 - Tong Cox Sasha Oakenfold I didn't really like dance music before I heard the Sasha/Oakenfold disc of this album
Chemical Brothers Surrender just get better with every album
Depeche Mode 101 Top live album
Alex Reece So far Another groundbreaker for me - didn't like Drum and Bass before this album
Radiohead The Bends

I could go on with some of my quite rare albums... I'll just put my most favourite one from them

Paris Angels Sundew Long since deleted album from Madchester one-hit, one-album wonders

[This message has been edited by foghorn (edited 28 May 2001).]

pax domina
28th May 2001, 17:53
'Course not, 429 CJ! It is rather a top melodic metallic tune, isn't it? What I'm arguing with is putting Boston on a Top 10 of the 70s list, while omitting stuff like Diamond Dogs, London Calling and Die Mensch Machine.

And to be honest, I will have to admit that I saw Boston (with Toto -groan- as an opening act, it was their third proper gig after two warm-up shows on Kauai) at Aloha Staduim in the late 1970s. Knew some local DJs at the time and went with a couple of friends to a promo party the night before on the Falls of Clyde museum ship in Honolulu Harbour. So, tucked in to the tour programme I purchased is a dollar bill that I had signed by all the members of the band. (Sad, very sad . . . )

I was fifteen and this was BC - Before (I discovered the . . . ) Clash. ;)

Where do I even start for a Top 10 list? I supposed the criteria should be the amount of time I've spent listening to the entire thing from start to finish, enjoying every song . . . which would exclude Hup! 'cause I don't like that country thing on side two.

London Calling The Clash
Rattlesnakes Lloyd Cole and the Commotions
Saint Julian Julian Cope (must admit it is the one I've listened to the most)
This is the Day . . . This is the Hour . . . This is This! Pop Will Eat Itself
Quadrophenia The Who
Temple of Low Men Crowded House
Armed Forces Elvis Costello and the Attractions
The Lexicon of Love ABC
She Was Only A Grocer's Daughter The Blow Monkeys (slightly edges out Animal Magic, although I think "Digging Your Scene", "Aeroplane City Love Song" and the aural orgasm of "Sweet Murder" are top tunes, overall I prefer listening to all of Grocer's)

Number 10 to be announced since Real Jukebox is refusing to open up and I can't look at the list of favourite tunes I've chosen to have at my fingertips . . .

-signed-
pax d (yeah, it's a weird list; off to re-boot this #%$&^* computer; and IMHO no way should From/of [to] Catch ;) be on any of those lists)

SLF 999
28th May 2001, 18:06
My choices
Boston - Boston 1
Thin Lizzy - Black Rose
Fleetwoodmac - Rumours
Rick Wakeman - journey to the centre of the earth
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Genesis - the lamb lies down on broadway
Alahna Miles - Alahna Miles
U2 - Under a blood red sky
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Paul Simon - graceland

Radar Departure2
28th May 2001, 18:39
*SIGH*

It's a funny one, this. I confess I was expecting an outpouring of fury from more than just Pax D over the final list, rather than more personal lists.

To us "List people" and us who cannot conceive of life without music, the chance to spill your own ideas is almost irresistible, isn't it? I'm having trouble refraining myself. :)

But come on, be honest now. To everybody who has posted their own Top 10 list; you have scanned everybody else's list. Did you do it quickly, looking for albums you knew and had an opinion on? Do you now remember any of the other albums on those lists?

There is no fun in not being able to comment on an album because we haven't heard it; we all want to agree or disagree, don't we? It's so much more fun!

1. Mantovani's Greatest Hits
2. Percy Faith Plays The Beatles.......

(Not really a music post at all, in other words; yet another inquiry into human nature!)

RD

OzExpat
28th May 2001, 18:56
I listen to music CDs every day that I'm in the office ... which is an event that's occuring far too regularly of late. Anyway, yeah, they're CDs that I buy specifically to have some music in a place that's otherwise too much like a fuhking morgue.

But, I have absolutely NO IDEA what the song titles are or even who performs them. All I can really say is that I hate/loathe/detest/despise and generally don't much like that heavy metal sh!t. So I guess that makes me a bit of a music moron, but them's the breaks, huh! :)

BTW, Pax, I'm sooo glad you aren't opposed to Abba's songs ... I'd have been forced to disown you! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

------------------
Dispela olgeta samting i pekpek bilong bulmakau!

foghorn
28th May 2001, 19:30
Pax Domina,

Wonder Stuff Hup! and PWEI - a bit of a Grebo, then :) ???

I have to admit I nearly added Pop Will Eat Itself Go Box Frenzy to my list!

pax domina
28th May 2001, 20:53
Foghorn - oh, golly, gee . . . ummm. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif

Seen PWEI twice - once in Orlando (during "Wise Up Sucker" Clint bent down at the front of the stage and shouted "Wise up! Show us what ya got!" in my face - I was ever so honored), once flew up very early Saturday morning to see them in Chicago that night (talked to Clint before and after the gig, got up on stage at the Cabaret Metro with the rest of the girlies to dance during - "Inject Me", I think it was) then flew back Sunday afternoon.

Seen the Neddies once - flew in to Newark, and on the same trip saw the Miles Hunt solo acoustic gig in New Brunswick, New Jersey parts of which were on the second video collection.

Which brings me to the Wonder Stuff - 21 or 22 gigs (not including the solo gig above), all in North America, 1990-1992. Sometimes brilliant, sometimes indifferent, sometimes worse than that. (The last gig I saw was at the grimy International Ballroom on the north side of Atlanta, opening for Siouxsie and the Banshees. It was a rather sad way to end the two year roller coaster ride that was my life at the time.) But an experience I would not trade for the world - and one which now literally seems a lifetime ago. Still have an impressive collection of, um, unauthorised live recordings. (Memories of people moshing to "Golden Green", bracing myself at the middle of "A Wish Away" 'cause you know the bodies were really going to start flying. Ah, the bruises!)

RD2, sweetie . . . the appalling list obviously is nothing other than a listing of "product" which shifted loads of "units" in the US. (Yes, those are the the terms "the industry" uses.)

[This message has been edited by pax domina (edited 28 May 2001).]

Eagle18th
29th May 2001, 04:09
Tempting as it is to add another top 10 list, I'll just say that any list of top 70's albums which includes Boston and Van Halen but omits The Clash's "London Calling" has no credibility as far as I'm concerned.

...altogether now...
"I LIVE BY THE RIVER"

pax domina
29th May 2001, 04:45
Eagle18th - I heartily agree, and said something I'd thought about writing in an earlier post.

As someone wrote in a letter to Creem magazine in the late 70s/early 80s -

"We all live by the river Joe Strummer sings about in "London Calling"."

[This message has been edited by pax domina (edited 29 May 2001).]

Dave Incognito
29th May 2001, 08:39
From the Sydney Morning Herald 29/5/01:

Last night at the 2001 APRA (Australian Performing Right Association) Awards, the all-time Australian top 10 songs from the past 75 years were announced. The list was chosen by 100 writers, musicians, critics and broadcasters.

1. Friday On My Mind – The Easybeats
2. Eagle Rock – Daddy Cool
3. Beds Are Burning – Midnight Oil
4. Down Under – Men At Work
5. Pub With No Beer – Slim Dusty
6. The Loved One – The Loved Ones
7. Don’t Dream It’s Over – Crowded House
8. Khe Sanh – Cold Chisel
9. It’s A Long Way… - AC/DC
10. Quasimodo’s Dream – The Reels

Have a good one, Dave.

------------------
Flying is easy - just throw yourself at the ground and miss.

PilotsPal
29th May 2001, 20:35
There's a lot of happy memories been revived by this thread - I'm amazed so many chose Sgt Pepper (yes, I still have my original copy and the insert in pristine condition with the little price sticker of 32/6d on the back).

Difficult to remember them all but long time favourite albums would have to include:

Van Morrison's Astral Weeks
Eric Clapton's Journeyman
Elton John's Too Low For Zero
The first Kate Bush one, title of which completely escapes me right now
The Pogues' Rum Sodomy and the Lash
Soundtrack of Bladerunner