PDA

View Full Version : About Global Aviation solutions

morenof
26th Dec 2003, 19:37
Hello...does anyone know anything about Gobal Aviation? I was approved to go to one of their assesment days next month and actually dont know anything about them or their program....all they said is that they will find you a job once you have completed the type rating course...is this true or just more bull?

Lomax
27th Dec 2003, 10:50
hey there,

nothing special, for just 850 pounds+your own expenses, you'll do a 45 min simulator test in which they'll ask you to shoot an approach and verify your spacial orientation, a psychometrical test, numerical reasoning and a psychological test.
If you'll be accepted, you will have the chance to work with Astraeus which consists of 5 planes.
good luck!

clearfortheoption
27th Dec 2003, 17:49
And if you perform a search you will discover much more....

CFTO

morenof
27th Dec 2003, 23:27
Thanks....I did the search like you guys said.....dont know if it actually helped because there are too many contrasting points.....I would really love to talk to someone who has gone through the TR course, got a job with one of their partners and got paid a decent salary to pay off the loan I would have to secure....If there is someone out there please reply...All I want is a little more information than what is out there available and I do absolutely hate to pay for training but these days is just another option for me, not the only one.

Hamrah
28th Dec 2003, 01:27
Lomax,

Just to correct one thing. Astraeus recruits it's own pilots, and does not have any supplied from Global. However, a number of other charter and scheduled carriers take pilots from Global.

Astraeus has 6 aircraft with a fleet of 8 aircraft for Summer 04.

H

Lomax
28th Dec 2003, 03:16
Astraeus recruits it's own pilots?

Then there's just Storm left :ooh:

clearfortheoption
28th Dec 2003, 05:19
I would really love to talk to someone who has gone through the TR course, got a job with one of their partners and got paid a decent salary to pay off the loan I would have to secure...

so do we....

Lomax
28th Dec 2003, 06:35
Those who will pay eventually will understand that it's not all what they said it would be, and once the rumors will start to spread Global will have less customers.
But, by that time they will have already sold enough type ratings/promises, therefore they will be satisfied with the initial income that they recieved before the spreading of the info, so they won't care too much about bad rumors.

CH4
28th Dec 2003, 16:46
Lomax

I'm not sure where you get your information from; obviously not a good source. I'm also curious to find out what your 'axe to grind' is?

With the exception of 2, every single pilot that is currently undergoing training has been placed in a job, as have some that haven't even started their training courses.

CH4

nicosnoko
28th Dec 2003, 17:35
Hi....

OK CH4 you know quite well global....
Tell us then which airlines global work with?

Is it such a mystery?

So according to you Astraeus has nothing to do with global.
and has aslo noting to do with bond aviation solution????

not sure...

Maybe you guys can help me here, so you buy a TR with global (Bond) then they place you in a pool awaiting for departure.
Do you have to pay any line training?
Do you get reduced basic salary?

Astreaus recruits its own pilots.....through bond....

Mabado et tibago...

Lomax
28th Dec 2003, 23:48
every single pilot that is currently undergoing training has been placed in a job

Using the same principle, I could say that I'm John Travolta ;-) Prove it my dear friend, these proofs are so important that some companies like Gulfstream Academy put pictures and names of their former students who were hired by airlines, on their website. It's the best way to advertise what you're selling and these are not classified information are they?

flyingoli
29th Dec 2003, 01:57
Hello guys,
Just a small words, because I'm really despointed. I have suceed the assesment, and then I was due to strat the Type Rating course in january. As it's writing on the global site, the course is done to get a job so financial package is avaiable. Global told me that I need to contact HSBC in Crawley, what I have done. The answer was clear, that's true HSBC do loan for GAS students but they don't have special arrangement with GAS. I'm not english, and unless I let the Full amount on an accompt at the bank, or I give a house or appartement in garanty, it's not possible to get a loan at HSBC. So HSBC is like other bank, and unless garanty no loan, so why GAS tell that financial package is avaiable? I'm a young guy who have spent more than 75.000€ for his initial training, I have no garanty, and no solutions to ask money.
So finally I'm really dispointed because I will not have the opportunity to do the course and I'm with 850 pound less in my pocket.
P.S.: Perhaps I don't have talked with the good person at HSBC, perhaps I'm wrong so any advice is welcome...
Flying OLI:cool:

morenof
29th Dec 2003, 18:38
flyingoli,

Im kinda in the same position as you are, but I havent paid the 850 pounds yet...Since you have already been thru the assesment day, did they tell you which airlines they work with? other issue...Im also not from the UK and I need financial aid, HSBC is the only bank they work with? I dont own anything except books and my car is worth about 150 euros (believe me, its that cheap). I have so many questions that it might be better to give GAS a call. thank you.

Alnilam
29th Dec 2003, 21:01
Hello guys!

One question?

Global and StormAviation are the same company?

I also received an appointment for an interview, but I'm still thinking about to do.

Hi, kinda I'm from Spain as well, I'd like contact with you, my email is [email protected].

Happy new year and a lot of jobs for all of us.

Thank you.

trainer too 2
29th Dec 2003, 21:35
Flying Oli, as CH4 is unable to prove like the likes of CTC with Easy and CAE with Ryanair are able to prove: who will you work for. If that is unclear stay away I would say and go to Gecat, CAE or CTC directly I would guess.... :confused:

dreamingA380
31st Dec 2003, 19:31
A few months back I responded to the GAS ad in flight... At which point I received all the info from GAS, including the 850 bucks for the initial candidate profiling?! It struck me as being massively overpriced. It was at this point I thought I could smell a RAT... and politely told them something about a touching it with a barge pole.
I hope I'm wrong, but I know too many people who are desperate enough (like me) and I know a few others who have taken a loan to put the 737 ticket on their license and are still looking for the first airline job ....All they have done is limit their options and put themselves further into the red.

Do your research, the market is improving and a few more doors are opening. I personally am maximising my options....How pi£*ed off would you be if you forked out for the 737 ticket then got an interview from Flybe....Do you really think they are going to invest time and cash into someone for the Q400 when they have a jet rating?.

Good luck and wishing everyone a more successful new year!

Lomax
1st Jan 2004, 13:08
Exactly ... as I was saying, they are now satisfied with the initial income that they recieved before the spreading of the info, so they don't care too much about all the bad rumors that is going on.

opsmaneurope
3rd Jan 2004, 00:00
Lomax,
Might you please ask yourself a question, namely how is it that none of the cadets currently completing their training are making posts here to the effect, 'Hey, I've got my type rating but Global haven't placed me with an airline yet'.

Think about it!

The mole
3rd Jan 2004, 01:38
opsmaneurope

They don't post on pprune so they don't get flamed by wannabees who haven't taken that chance and are still unemployed. I know of two who have been taken on by a UK registered company in the last three weeks but they are not about to advertise that fact.

5by5
3rd Jan 2004, 03:13
The expression is "dog eat dog !"

Lomax
3rd Jan 2004, 04:25
Beside what The mole was saying, I'd also add this: let's consider how long time Global has been advertising in pprune? 3 months at the most, let's give it a little time, it's not a well known company as CTC for example, and then let's see what will happen.
And by the way, at this point I have to admit it: I'm John Travolta
(see previous posts on this thread)
:E

opsmaneurope
3rd Jan 2004, 05:34
Having been in aviation since 1976 I learnt many years ago to forget the rumours and gossip and go with what you believe.
All I (and others) are reading here is rumours and gossip from seemingly newbies so I will take this opportunity to say au revoir.

Lomax
3rd Jan 2004, 06:00
I can't believe this!
Let me go with what I believe without thinking twice before spending 15K pounds or more! Yeah!
When I'll be sure that everybody will go with what they believe without doing researches, I'll start to sell type ratings

:rolleyes:

opsmaneurope
3rd Jan 2004, 06:46
Lomax,
I'm not suggesting you or others should not think twice before parting with 15k or more, for Christ's sake I'd give it considerable more thought than that before parting with that sort of money.
All I'm suggesting, is that it is very easy, on a site such as this, to 'shoot' one's mouth without investigation nor knowledge.
Au Revoir

Lomax
3rd Jan 2004, 12:51
All I'm suggesting, is that it is very easy, on a site such this, to 'shoot' one's mouth without investigation or knowledge.

I think the ones who have to investigate and offer knowledge are those who are selling type ratings/promises...everybody here is willing to have some proofs of what they say... no further comments. To me, their silence says it all.

opsmaneurope
4th Jan 2004, 07:01
I would doubt if any professional organisation would post their corporate results on such a 'hearsay' chat site.
That would be no way to run a business and if, as is said, 'silence says it all' then how about the silence of the guys and/or gals that are currently undergoing training with supposedly no job prospect thereafter?
I know that if I had parted with 20k with no job prospect thereafter I would be the first one here to bitch and complain.
As was stated earlier in this topic, perhaps they do have jobs to go to and perhaps their silence does say it all.
Amen

Luke SkyToddler
4th Jan 2004, 17:29
I would doubt if any professional organisation would post their corporate results on such a 'hearsay' chat site.
That would be no way to run a business and if, as is said, 'silence says it all' then how about the silence of the guys and/or gals that are currently undergoing training with supposedly no job prospect thereafter?
I know that if I had parted with 20k with no job prospect thereafter I would be the first one here to bitch and complain.
As was stated earlier in this topic, perhaps they do have jobs to go to and perhaps their silence does say it all.
Amen

Equally, if I was one of those people who had coughed up the £20 grand and I had got a good job out of it, I would certainly be happy to give G.A.S. a letter to that effect or at least use a nice photo of me preflighting my shiny new 737 or something like that. OATS / Cabair / BAE are all known to publish pictures of their successful classes / graduates in their literature after all.

That is hardly a 'corporate result' and even if it was, it's a bit late for anyone to turn round and say this is a scurrilous 'hearsay chat' site given the shameless publicity and free plugging that CH4 has been inflicting upon us for months :rolleyes:

I am not jumping on the GAS-bashing bandwagon here, in fact I fervently hope they succeed, I am belatedly coming to the conclusion that pay-for-type-ratings is here to stay and I would like nothing better than to see a company with a successful scheme for getting fresh type rated people into jobs.

Fair enough if they are a new company just getting things under way, and they may only be getting their first set of successes about now. I have no problem with that, but GAS need to understand, until we can see some kind of evidence of real people in real jobs then a lot of people are going to position them in the 'unacceptably high risk' area. I'll let other people gamble with their £20 grand until I can see a proven track record and documented evidence of people in jobs.

I think it's very important for their own sake that they provide these proofs because at the moment I'll bet the vast majority of their applicants are either unemployed, desperate or low timers. Once they've got the credibility factor, it will also start to bring in a whole different class of applicant - ie the ones like myself, high time with a good secure turboprop job who would like to move on, but aren't going to run the risk of leaving their current job to buy into this scheme and coming up with nothing.

Lomax
5th Jan 2004, 00:22
opsmaneurope,

et dixit amen amen :rolleyes:

trainer too 2
5th Jan 2004, 16:47
Hey CH4, Luke Sky Toddler etc:

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!! WHICH AIRLINES DO THEY WORK FOR ???????? WANNABEES BE AWARE: WITHOUT AN AIRLINE JOB NAMED AND CONTRACTED BEFORE YOU SPEND GBP 850 THIS PROGRAM IS A WASTE OF MONEY! :*

And LST: OATS / Cabair / BAE are all known to publish pictures of their successful classes / graduates in their literature after all. Sounds nice but they add names of airlines that they work for!!!!! :rolleyes:

:suspect:

Luke SkyToddler
5th Jan 2004, 19:25
Trainer

What on earth gives you the idea that I am in favour of this scheme?

Go read my post again, it's essentially the same message as yours.

I'm just as suspicious as the next man until they show us the proofs of contracted airlines etc.

And STOP SHOUTING :bored:

trainer too 2
6th Jan 2004, 03:24
:O Oops a bit trigger happy there dear LST... but the message we agree on than. :ok:

number
7th Jan 2004, 03:00
after reading all the posts about GAS i understood it's better to invest my 850 pounds by gambling in Las Vegas. the guy who was supposed to answer all the questions has vanished....
:confused:

trainer too 2
8th Jan 2004, 18:30
CH 4 still alive??? Any answers yet...

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Speevy
9th Jan 2004, 18:16
Ok guys, now I have a question for you?

Do you really expect CH4 to come and answer your questions after all the posts on this tread talking Sh!t about his company!
I have nothing to do with Global Aviation and I really think that we should not spend our money w/o a contract, but I am sure that the fact that he is not wasting his time answering to questions in this tread proves that he is serious about what he is doing!!!

Let me explain it:
he knows that if you are really interested about his program you would ask him these types of question by calling his company, instead you post on pprune which proves to him that you are the ones not serious about it.

We shouldn't pay for our type rating and we shouldn't expect that the aviation industry owns us a job but remember if there are people ready to pay thousand of pounds ok fine; I am not ready for that, but don't complain and b!tch about somebody that is just trying to work (because that's how it is, no one will do something for you w/o expecting something back!!)

Good luck and good flying
Speevy

Luke SkyToddler
9th Jan 2004, 22:44
Yes speevy I really do expect the guy to come on here and answer our questions :rolleyes:

This website nowadays is the premier resource of unemployed / up and coming / wannabe airline pilots in the UK if not the world and he's had a fair bit of free advertising off it already - do a search on CH4 and you'll see what I mean. Virtually all his entire target market (UK based unemployed FATPL holders) are aware of this website and I would say the majority of them at least lurk here from time to time even if they don't post.

He may not want to come on here and engage in talking sh!t as you put it, but these are fair and legitimate questions from intelligent professional people.

The flight training industry is absolutely crammed full of charlatans and rip off merchants, and if he wants to avoid being tarred with that brush it's long past time he put his money where his mouth is.

At an absolute minimum, I would like to hear the names of the airlines involved and the numbers of people 'assessed' on this scheme versus those offered a job.

Truth is, it's now been several months since he started taking £850 chunks of money off people for "assessments", and getting all high and mighty on the website here towards anyone who dared to ask for any proof of his credibility, his airline connections, or in any way wonder whether their money would be better spent elsewhere.

I haven't seen a shred of hard evidence of a proper airline involved with G.A.S. and I still haven't seen or heard of a SINGLE PERSON who's been through this scheme and got a paltry hour in a 737 out of it, let alone an airline job.

Come on CH4 this thread has been running for several days now and I refuse to believe you haven't seen it or read it. Let's have the proof - or at least some very good rebuttals as to why we can't have it :*

trainer too 2
10th Jan 2004, 17:26
Speevy,

There are too many people selling hot air on the net and if we can help any wannabees by making them aware of this by asking the right questions than I am happy. :rolleyes:

There is this other place that advertises in flight which name I will put here when I can find a copy, that advertises with an adress on Mayfair in London. When you do a search on the address you will find that it is a mailbox adress only... That is the reason for asing the questions. If the answer is x pilots are flying at Y airlines than I will lay down.

:ok:

Tosh McCaber
10th Jan 2004, 18:19
Jetavia-

Are you referring to the Cadets taken on via Pprune?

Hamrah
11th Jan 2004, 17:44
Jetaviva,

No that was the price for pilots joining the course directly thru Astreaus, i don't know for how long the price remained at that level though

This is absolute nonsense. Do you make this stuff up?

H

p.s. We are currently training 14 pilots for Global, all of whom have job offers at the end of their training.

trainer too 2
11th Jan 2004, 18:48
Maybe you can help the wannabee community then Hamrah?? :confused:

number
11th Jan 2004, 20:51
p.s. We are currently training 14 pilots for Global, all of whom have job offers at the end of their training.

And I'm sure you can bring us proofs of what you're saying, right Hamrah?
Prove it my dear friend, these proofs are so important that some companies like Gulfstream Academy put pictures and names of their former students who were hired by airlines on their website. It's the best way to advertise what you're selling. After all, these are not classified information, are they?
:hmm:

Luke SkyToddler
11th Jan 2004, 21:10
Thank you for that Hamrah

At least Hamrah's identity is well known, no one can deny the man is a real live airline ops director and an honest bloke and if he says there are 14 G.A.S. cadets with Astraeus with job offers at the end of their course, then I have no doubt that is the case.

number
11th Jan 2004, 22:00
At least Hamrah's identity is well known
if you say so...
no one can deny the man is a real live airline ops director and an honest bloke
no one can deny that I am a real live pilot without job and an honest bloke
and if he says there are 14 G.A.S. cadets with Astraeus with job offers at the end of their course
if he sais so...
then I have no doubt that is the case.
I have doubts

Chuffer Chadley
12th Jan 2004, 01:44
Number

It's fair enough to have doubts about what you read on an anonymous forum.

However:

Hamrah isn't really anonymous to plenty of PPRUNErs. He exists, I have met him, he is honest (so far as I can tell), and he does do good work for wannabees.

Put your doubts on this particular snippet behind you.

Ciao for now
CC:ok:

eagerbeaver
12th Jan 2004, 01:51
Hamrah is the real deal, he did my LST a while back.
From what i know Storm/G.A.S are linking up with Excel. They merely offer a service and are not forcing anyone to take up their offer.
Less of the handbags aswell.

number
12th Jan 2004, 02:43
From what i know Storm/G.A.S are linking up with Excel
if you say so
They merely offer a service and are not forcing anyone to take up their offer.
Even soothsayers don't force anyone to take up their tarot card reading

redsnail
12th Jan 2004, 03:48
Hamrah is fair dinkum.
I have heard from a source independant of PPRuNe about the Excel deal.

Danny
12th Jan 2004, 07:53
number, you continue to be an idiot in the face of good advice by people on this bulletin board, especially some who are not in fact anonymous. Trust me, I know Hamrah too. He is one of the most knowledgeable people in this industry. He is a very experienced airline pilot and is currently Flight Operations Director.

Now, you either trust me because I own and run this website or you don't but when I say that you are being extremely silly with your posts on here you should be very careful about the next post of yours that I read on this thread. I wouldn't want to have to prove to you that I really am who I say I am.

And some people wonder why they are unemployed? Having a licence doesn't guarantee you a job. You have to have a personality too. By all means, get angry or upset because of your unfortunate position but don't take it out on others who are in a position to give you advice. :hmm:

number
12th Jan 2004, 15:48
number, you continue to be an idiot
I've asked questions and showed my doubts about GAS and its spokesman, who did a lot of talking so far without offering any practical proof of what he was promising. Of course he is free not to prove it, but then at least can I be free not to believe him?
Trust me, I know Hamrah too. He is one of the most knowledgeable people in this industry. He is a very experienced airline pilot and is currently Flight Operations Director.
I'm sure he is and I haven't said anything wrong about him.
Now, you either trust me because I own and run this website or you don't
I trust you
but when I say that you are being extremely silly with your posts on here you should be very careful about the next post of yours that I read on this thread
I have just showed some doubts by asking questions which were never answered, I hope that those who sell promises/type ratings and then refuse to answer questions, will be warned with the same emphasis.
I wouldn't want to have to prove to you that I really am who I say I am.
You don't need it because you're not selling anything.
And some people wonder why they are unemployed? Having a licence doesn't guarantee you a job
I agree
You have to have a personality too
I agree
By all means, get angry or upset because of your unfortunate position
I'm not angry, but curious, and I usually don't take for granted what I'm told without a further verification, above all when it comes to spend plenty of money.
don't take it out on others who are in a position to give you advice
Advices are welcome, as well as doubts.

Waggon rut
12th Jan 2004, 15:53
It surprises me that there are still people out there who want to attack the very people who can give them a chance in this business. Hamrah, for instance has taken a lot of pilots from zero to shiny jet. There are very few people out there who do that.

Hamrah
13th Jan 2004, 20:19
Guys,

Thanks for your support.

Number is a wannabee, but with attitude.

Luckily, if you do a search of his postings you can find one where he posts an e-mail address.

It will make any future interviews interesting.

H

Snigs
13th Jan 2004, 21:26
Talk about burning bridges eh, Ham!! :rolleyes:

With an upper age limit of 35, even if I had the money and inclination, I'm already out of the equation (unless instructing constitutes commercial experience, but why an age limit anyway????) However, I would like to know this:

Of the 14 G.A.S. cadets with Astraeus with job offers at the end of their course how many already have jet/t-prop experience, how many have more than 1500 hours or less than 500 etc etc?

I don't think that it's as simple as it seems, I'd like to get a feel for who's being employed in terms of experience.

If that's too sensitive information with respect to Astraeus for a public forum then an email or PM would be welcome.

Sadly, as Luke Skytoddler suggested, the SSTR's are here to stay and they're probably the only chance I'll get to graduate on to a 737 or similar. However I need to know more, to mitigate the risk of denying my wife the few nice holidays she already deserves. :ouch: :cool:

Hamrah
14th Jan 2004, 00:45
Snigs,

1 Jet Captain
1 Jet FO
1 Turboprop FO
11 with less than 500 hours total time.

H

Snigs
14th Jan 2004, 02:18
Thanks,

The ratio is encouraging, I expect the 11 low houred pilots are fairly young, but that’s not their problem, it’s mine!

I still remember the comments made at the BALPA conference about age and the higher perceived risk of employing someone over 35 because they learn less quickly (which by the way I disagree with, surely intelligence has something to do with it as well). It seems that life experience is less valued.

Still, I’m encouraged by the stats. I’m still not convinced that a SSTR is right for me, I’m still confident that there is another way, but we’ll see how this year develops.

CH4
14th Jan 2004, 03:21
CH 4 still alive??? Any answers yet...
Yes trainer, I'm still very much alive. Forgive me for having taken a vacation over the Xmas/New Year period rather than staying at home to answer your questions. I'll check with you next time before I absent myself :p

By means of an update; there are currently in excess of 29 pilots, either in various stages of training or about to emabark upon their training through the Global/Bond scheme, ALL of whom have a firm job offer on satisfactory completion of their training.

Can I prove it? Yes. Do I choose to prove it? No. That is my perogative, not yours.

I haven't seen a shred of hard evidence of a proper airline involved with GAS and I still haven't seen or heard of a SINGLE PERSON who's been through the scheme and got a paltry hour in a 737 out of it, let alone an airline job
Luke, I don't owe you anything at all, least of all the proof you are demanding.

I will not publish the identities of those that have been sucessful, nor will I publish their pictures on any website. If some of them wish to come here and give a testimonial, then that is up to them. I rather think that they have much more to occupy their precious time with than to lurk here and read some of the drivel posted here.

If you care to go and read the earlier posts you will see that many of these questions have been covered before and the reasons given. I do not intend to repeat myself again.

You can believe or disbelieve, that is your choice; it still does not alter the facts. Whilst some of you wanabees have been occupying yourselves here ridiculing something you know nothing about, at least eleven of your colleagues have had the insight to find out about it and make the commitment. They will be the ones who used their time more profitably and will be shortly sitting in the right hand seat of a nice new shiny jet, building up their hours and putting money in the bank. Think about it. Shame that we have currently filled all of the positions that were open to the wanabees, for the time being.

The saddest part of all of this was that if you had taken the time to contact us directly, as was offered before, most of your questions would have been answered. The fact that it is probably too late for those that now have a change of heart is your problem, not ours.

My final comment is to dear Luke
That is hardly a 'corporate result' and even if it was, it's a bit late for anyone to turn round and say this is a scurrilous 'hearsay chat' site given the shameless publicity and free plugging that CH4 has been inflicting upon us for months

I reckon the corporate result has been very good. As for being too late; I guess that means you not us. Besides, all advertising here has been paid for; it's not free!

Number doesn't even rate a response. He needs a serious reality check.

The above is intended for the few, vocal individuals, who will know who they are (number may not realise). To all the rest of you wanabees, that read and digest what you see here; don't be disheartened. Prospects have not been so good for a long time.

CH4

Luke SkyToddler
14th Jan 2004, 05:01
That's a fair enough answer CH4 and I thank you for it.

Well done then, to the 14, or 29, people who paid their money took their chance and got themselves a jet job out of it.

And of course, condolences to those who paid their £850 and came up empty handed.

I will have to respect your right not to tell us what the ratio is of the one group to the other. I guess people will read as much or as little into
I reckon the corporate result has been very good
as they want to!

Personally, I was never in a position to apply for your scheme at the moment since I'm just coming up on my first turboprop command and I'm not even halfway through paying off what I've already spent to get into this industry. Furthermore, I still have a wee few months to go on my bond (a proper bond that is, ie one that requires no cash up front from the pilot!).

I still harbour vague hopes that when the time comes for the big jet job, I may manage to find an employer that doesn't require prospective employees to stump up their first year's salary as the price of admission.

However like every other wannabe on this place I still go all misty eyed when a big shiny jet taxis past my little turboprop, and should the job market continue to move in the direction it has done, then I am sure you may yet find yourself banking an inflation-adjusted £850 cheque from the Skytoddler account in another year or two :sad:

number
14th Jan 2004, 08:14
Guys,

I do apologize if I've offended somebody with my insinuous questions.
At the same I believe that wannabees still have the rights to go into what they are told without taking anything for granted.
Number is a wannabee, but with attitude
No, Number is a wannabee not particuarly gullible.
---------
People; we're talking about a lot of money here, are we allowed to have some doubts at least? After all we have to base ourselves just on words of who's selling, honest and genuine ones I'm sure, but still words.
A typical answer is: they don't force you to take that offer...
And my provocative reply is: even soothsayers don't force anyone to take up their tarot card reading
I see I've created a scandal with my sarcasm, and again, I'm sorry for that.
GAS is genuine? Good for them and for us.
Number doesn't even rate a response. He needs a serious reality check. Censoring opinions and questions, even the provocative ones, is not a good thing.
It actually gives the impulse to go through some aspects which have been vague. Can I prove it? Yes. Do I choose to prove it? No. That is my perogative, not yours. I won't bother anymore.

Puritan
14th Jan 2004, 15:35
Snigs, you wrote ‘I expect the 11 low houred pilots are fairly young’.

Well I suppose it depends on what you mean by fairly young but I think it would be true to say that, predominantly, the people attending the Bond / GAS courses seem to be in their thirties or older.

Aside – don’t loose heart on the age thing, e.g. I certainly know of at least one other bloke :D who was nudging forty when he got is first break – thanks to Hamrah & CH4 – going straight from light aircraft and onto a B737 with GoFly.

Luke, you wrote 'condolences to those who paid their £850 and came up empty handed'.

But those people are not empty handed.

For the vast majority this was there first experience of attending a full-on airline assessment – which in itself alone would prove useful experience.

As a result of the assessment and subsequent debriefings, the assessee’s now have a much clearer understanding of where their present abilities put them - certainly in terms of them being able to transition directly to a jet and / or whether this would be a sensible idea for them to consider, or not.

Imho, just because - and for whatever reason - some who attend the assessment are not presently undertaking a jet-type rating does not mean that it has been a waste of their £850 – far from it.

M.85
14th Jan 2004, 22:15
puritain,
How does Parc or Bond find out if the interviewees are able to go directly to a jet?a part from the sim ride?
Can such people have the certainty over someone s fate/ability?
I doubt so..but i agree it may give a very good experience as what is expected during an interview..the price i believe is steep..

M.85

Puritan
14th Jan 2004, 23:39
M.85 w.r.t. 'How does Parc or Bond find out if the interviewees are able to go directly to a jet?a part from the sim ride?' - the very fact that you've written this shows that you seemingly have a bit to learn about the classic full-on airline assessment process.

Typically this is in three parts:

1). Psychometric testing - It is known that good / safe pilots exhibit certain personality traits and so tests are given to analyse these traits.

2) The simulator test – When Bond & GAS do these tests they are conduct by airline TRE's ( type rated examiners ), and highly experienced ones at that.

Nb. The level of knowledge / ability to both teach and conduct tests required to become a TRE are, putting it mildly, very high. That said, don't mistake the lofty heights of being a TRE with also of being a complete bastard. You can rest assured that the TRE's who conduct the assessments at Bond & GAS are superb blokes, veritably total aviation people who've been there, done it, and got the T-Shirt - the kind of blokes you'd like to go out with for a good curry and beer - but wherein they are also true aviation professionals.

When it comes to measuring somebody’s ability, the simulator component of the assessment ( in our case being run by a TRE ) has two intents:

A) To determine a persons present ability, i.e. do they at least have the basics ? E.g. how good is their instrument scan, are they able to keep ahead of the aircraft, do they posses situational awareness, how is their CRM, do they exhibit good judgement, etc ?

B) To determine their ability to learn, i.e. how adept are they at being able to quickly absorb, and then put into practise, new information ?! This is especially important when people are being considered for the transition to a jet type-rating. Nb. If you were to ask any of the ‘first-time on a jet’ students attending the TRTO type-rating course they will all tell you that the learning curve required is phenomenal !

Aside – did any of you see the program called ‘Spitfire Ace’ ( it was on UK Channel 4 on Monday at 21:00 ) where four low hour PPL’s were given a chance to compete to learn to fly a Spitfire ? If you did, it should not have escaped your notice that one of the foremost criteria in the minds of those making the assessment was the ‘learning curve’ of the candidates – and that this was in preference stick & rudder skills. QED.

3) The interview – Most airlines conduct interviews to determine, in a face-to-face manner, how well the applicants come across as people ( the point being that the last thing you’d want is to be sitting for hours-upon end in a tiny flight deck opposite some complete tosser – even if he can fly the aeroplane ! ).

Now given that the assessment is the same for one and all, the outcome is very much down to the individual, his / her flying skills, learning curve and personality.

W.r.t. 'Can such people have the certainty over someone s fate/ability?' – see my response above and, err, what’s fate got to do with it ?

W.r.t. ‘the price i believe is steep’ – well, if you can do it for less then please do go ahead.

Nb. To compete on a level playing field you will need to hire a jet simulator, a TRE ( or two - and they don’t come cheap ), provide psychometric tests ( remembering that you, or your staff, will need training on how to administer and mark these ), advertise your service / product, administer & coordinate the whole thing, plus manage various other sundry tasks and requirements, wherein to help you cope with the demand it's likely that you will probably need some permanent office staff ( at least two, or three, people ) and they will need an office to sit in, phones, computers, email, etc...... Oh, and as you’re in business, you’ll need to make a profit too; So, over to you !

M.85
15th Jan 2004, 19:28
Puritan..
Roger that.

M.85

Saitek
16th Jan 2004, 02:37
I have followed the ups and downs and company versus wannabe tug of wars with great interest for weeks. As a recent 32 year old grad, I was reluctant to apply for many of the same reasons as you number, and whilst it is perfectly acceptable to have reservations about anything, some of these slightly derogatory, shoot from the hip comments are not, I feel, justified.

Global/Storm are a business and not the Job Centre and exist as such, the companies service is producing suitable, type rated pilots and for that it has to be financially viable just like gecat or anyone else. Even if only 1 per 100 who hand over £850 obtain that all important first job thats the market. There is no crime in asking someone to pay to have their suitability assessed and what scheme, airline of college can guarantee that you will walk into a job? none... so derision is not the answer.

I would like to add that I am not in any way linked to either company, I am in the same frustrating boat as you number, a wannabe daily trying to scale Everest . I am sure that Global/Storm can work, albeit not for everybody, because at a union AGM last night, on the the subject of TRSS's, I heard a very highly respected and long standing chief pilot state what the company have told you, that 29 people all have contracts of employment, doing initial line training with 1 airline and then they will be employed by another and this was in a peer group of other suitably decorated 'bigwigs' from the UK majors and there is no way he would simply make it up.

Splat
16th Jan 2004, 04:13
Saitek

Spot on. Drop me a PM as we had a chat last night......

Cheers

Splat

G-bomp
17th Jan 2004, 18:56
Hamrah,(or Puritan as I believe you work for Astraeus)

Are Astraeus/Bond still running their type rating/line training courses or have they finished as a result of the Global scheme?
If you are still running courses are you taking people onto Astraeus from these courses( Summer contracts or otherwise)?

Thank you for your time

Bomp

FBOZH
18th Jan 2004, 02:34
Those who have started in November/December all have positions with Ecel essentially but what about those starting in February/March? 24 pilots trained up every month, this will probably leave a few jobless.

little bo
28th Jan 2004, 21:03
Well I have to say that I just read through all 5 pages of this topic with great interest. I am one of the Global guys who has just finished training. The reason why none of us have posted any replies here, is quite simply the fact that we have not had the time.
I have recently finished base training an shortly will be going to my assigned airline for differences and line training and to begin what I hope to be a very long and enjoyable career.
I was a low houred wannabe who spent the last 2 years endlessly sending out C.V’s. The GAS scheme has given me the opportunity to finally get my foot on that all exclusive ladder we here so much about.
Of course at the end of the day its up to you if you want to go down this route but for me I couldn’t have asked for a better opportunity. I have a jet rating on my licence, a right hand seat waiting for me in a very respectable company and a very healthy wage pack to go with it…
So please for your sake, if this scheme isn’t for you than don’t go for it. But please stop wasting your time and mine (the time it took me to read through all of this) on slaging off something that you obviously no nothing about. I apologise to anyone who was simply showing a genuine interest in the scheme, as any constructive comments have clearly been clouded by jealousy.

Puritan
29th Jan 2004, 01:33
little bo - your current 'profile' says 'Occupation: student' and your 'Current a/c type:' is not filled in.

You might now like to ammend this to say:

Current a/c type: B737

Congratulations, and welcome to the club ! :ok:

little bo
29th Jan 2004, 20:33
Thankyou Puritan, I think I might just do that.

Fingerbang
2nd Feb 2004, 20:27
Ditto Little Bo's thoughts above. Everyone going through the scheme has been working HARD. And the same goes for everything else in flying in my relatively short experience so far...... you work hard, you keep your head down, and you get on with it.

dreamingA380
3rd Feb 2004, 16:17
Congratulations little bo...

Any top tips for the £850 selection day?
What did you get quizzed on? and what was the sim detail?

any light you can shed would be much appreciated as I'm seeing them soon.

Cheers.

redsnail
4th Feb 2004, 04:08
Heard you were doing this little bit of fun. Good onya, hope it all goes well. :ok:

Hampster
4th Feb 2004, 16:41
Hi all,

After submitting your application form how long does it usually take before you receive a reply and if successful, how often are courses run ?

Thanks