PDA

View Full Version : PPRUNE Chat???? Not bloody likely.....

ex-orange
26th Dec 2003, 10:40
Terribly miserable:(

Having waited an absolute age to get back on here after serious problems with old 'puter - which decided to explode after I loaded AutoCAD onto it - I now have a lovely new one which won't let me onto chat....:{

Every time I try to log on - and I was a bit of a chat-head - known originally as EXORANGEBIRD - for those with a long memory - it tells me that I have to download Java.

I press all the right buttons but the bloody thing won't download - just sends me to some Microsoft page and then I get lost and seriously pissed off coz I have to spend all my time playing in the forums instead.

Please someone give me a nice easy step-by-step guide of how to sort this. :sad:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
26th Dec 2003, 12:36
ex-orange,

Try:

Java Virtual Machine Updates (http://www.comusolv.com/updates/javavm.htm)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. The reason you do not find JavaVM on the Microsoft Site is due to the falling out between Sun and Microsoft.

BRL
26th Dec 2003, 14:42
Hi Ex-O, long time no see, welcome back.

These things tend to happen to computers that 'fall off lorries...' ;)

Take it easy :D

Onan the Clumsy
26th Dec 2003, 21:30
or...for breakfast have some bran if you're hungry

Or would you have to be ex-ex-orange for that?

ex-orange
27th Dec 2003, 07:20
Richard - what can I say???? Just off to see if your link works... :ok:

BRL - my puter was built by a very nice man who provided all the receipts thank you!!!!! ****** me laddie ( and there are some who would!:E) just coz I'm a scouser doesn't mean all my stuff is dented! :mad: :eek: you naughty boy!

Os - what the ferk are you on about - the name's ex-or - not exlax! xx :uhoh:

Here goes - see you in chat if its a success!;)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Dec 2003, 10:35
ex-orange,

Always glad to help. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. We should really thank ORAC who gave me that link a while back. :ok:

ex-orange
28th Dec 2003, 01:42
Can't believe it - Downloaded from link and now its telling me that its only an update - it still won't let me on!!!!! Apparantly you have to have Java on your machine in the first place for it
to work.

Who's bloody idea was it to update this site anyway!!!!!!!!:ugh: :{

Need more help......................Please:sad:

LunchMonitor
28th Dec 2003, 05:47
HI EX O

I dont think its so much the site updated as the fact you have a shiny new machine which is running xp and probably doesnt have Java enabled after MS and Java had the falling out mentioned earlier. Try this advice from yahoo for peple who have difficulty using Java to play their games.

Internet Explorer 5.XX or 6.XX for Windows

Click "Tools" on the menu bar, then select "Internet Options".
Click on the "Security" tab.

For the Internet Zone, be sure that the Security level is set to "Medium" or below. If you have chosen to customise your Security settings for the internet zone, be sure that under the Java Heading "Java Permissions" is NOT set on "Disable Java". You will want to select one of the three safety levels instead. Also, be sure that under the Scripting heading "Scripting of Java Applets" is set to "Enable" or "Prompt".

Next, click on the "Advanced" tab.

Scroll down until you see the sub-heading "Microsoft VM".
Check the boxes next to "Java logging enabled" and "Java console enabled" *Note: if you have checked the box next to "Java JIT compiler enabled" and are experiencing freezing problems, uncheck that box.
Note to Windows XP users

By default, the Windows XP operating system comes with Internet Explorer 6 browser without the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) installed which is required to run Java programmes such as Yahoo! Games.

However, if you install Windows XP over an existing installation of Windows (upgrade an older version) that already has Internet Explorer with JVM installed, you should be okay.

If you do not have the JVM, the first time you try to load a Java applet you should be prompted to download the JVM from Microsoft. If not, you should be able to visit Windows Update, a Microsoft site that checks your computer for updates and patches that will help your browser work better. Look for updates referring to the Microsoft Virtual Machine.

Hope this helps

LM

Eric T Cartman
28th Dec 2003, 22:52
I'd not been able to access chat for sometime - I tried downloading Java from the Sun site - no luck ! - tried changing security settings for this site (including accepting all cookies) - still no luck :-(
Finally found this link :-
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/MSJavWU_8073687b82d41db93f4c2a04af2b34d.exe
Downloaded MS Jave - installed it & - voila !! - back in chat :-)

Rupert S
28th Dec 2003, 23:00
if you got yerself a mac, you wouldn' have this problem := :}

Wing Commander Fowler
29th Dec 2003, 02:10
Guess he prefers playing with his computer to lurking in a playground wearing a mac.... hehe

:8

ex-orange
29th Dec 2003, 08:44
Lunch monitor - tried yours first - as it looked the easiest - but actually don't have a "Microsoft VM" sub heading in my advanced bit....odd!

Then tried Cartmans - which for some unknown reason was trying to make me jump back onto my realdownload window

Last and not least tried TCS's link - which is downloading as I type....If this works I owe you a bj TC :E xxxxxx - unless you're a burd! :uhoh:

ex-orange
29th Dec 2003, 17:09
FIIIIRRRRK - as those on chat last night will testify......guess who wasn't chatting.....sob.....hic...

To add insult to injury:- I'm in work today so thought whilst there was no-one about I'd have a little gab from here....and yes it let me on first bloody time.....only to find....THAT I WAS THE ONLY ONE ON THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JAVA/MICROSOFT - Work of the devil....:\

Eric T Cartman
29th Dec 2003, 18:18
@ Ex Orange

"Then tried Cartmans - which for some unknown reason was trying to make me jump back onto my realdownload window"

What is the "realdownload window" ? Is it something to do with Real Player ? If so, this could be a problem area as RP will install itself in your Start menu & could be messing things up.

When you go to the link I quoted, it should simply open a window allowing you to download the file "msjav86.exe" direct from Microsoft to the directory of your choice . Close down any other running progs, disable any anti-virus software & click on the .exe file to install it. If this is not happening, I don't know what to suggest :-(
(unless of course, you do have Real Player installed in which case , you could try uninstalling it, loading Java & re-installing!)

BRL
29th Dec 2003, 18:20
Try and register a new name and then try that from home. It could be something dead silly like that. If not, try going to the Digichat homepage and looking for thier support pages Q&A.

ex-orange
31st Dec 2003, 07:42
Cartman - Have erased all signs of Real Player and STILL can't download JAVA...
BRL - must have missed you by seconds on bloody chat when I was in work...........:{
Am thoroughly pissed off - keep going to the Java site and trying to download and all it gives me is the window that LOOKS as if its downloading but isn't - kept my computer on ALL NIGHT in case it would finish....needless to say it didn't.

What on earth am I doing wrong?????

Lonely, sad
ex-or :ugh:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
31st Dec 2003, 08:47
ex-orange,

Are you logged on to your computer with an account that has Administrator Privileges? (If you are, disable your Antivirus Program before you install it.)

Take Care,

Richard

tinpis
31st Dec 2003, 09:15
Go to here http://www.flashpeak.com/

Download free SlimBrowser

Problem fixed.

BRL
31st Dec 2003, 20:55
Click on Start then Control panel. Is there an icon in there saying "Java Plug-in". It is a red and blue logo thingy?.

Keef
1st Jan 2004, 09:54
My browser has the option to disable Java. Maybe yours does, and it's "off"?

I have two different Java versions loaded - one for the Eurocontrol website (an obsolete version, but it has to be that one), the other the latest version for everything else.

ex-orange
3rd Jan 2004, 04:16
Well - really thought we'd cracked it with slimline browser tinpis. Machine let me download it, for once. Then installed it quite happily. Clicked to have it as my default browser and all hell was let loose. Kept telling me it couldn't find the server - when we were already connected and said I should fiddle with my privacy and security settings - both of which are set at virtually nil!

Ended up uninstalling it just in case I screwed up AGAIN...

Am starting to believe that I'll never get this sorted and am totally flucked off with the whole thing. Anyone got any more bright ideas...??????

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Jan 2004, 13:09
ex-orange,

With all the time you have spent on this, my guess is a fresh install of WinXP must be sounding pretty good to you by now. I really do not like that you are having problems downloading and installing programs. That is just not normal for a healthy OS.

Take Care,

Richard

ex-orange
4th Jan 2004, 07:56
Have decided to rejig my puter to an earlier date and try to sort out the problem before installing realdownloads...can't see any other way of doing it so.....wish me luck and thanks to all who have tried to help me xxx

I may be gone some time.....:cool:

;)

ex-orange
4th Jan 2004, 21:42
Then unrejigged - thought that'd work and it doesn't...thought system restore would work - you know with the space time continuum (? how IS that spelt?) but no such luck ..... anyone fancy being my computer fixer for the day????? I cook a mean Carbonara....x :O

PPRuNe Radar
4th Jan 2004, 22:46
I assume you got the automatic download page from TCS' link. Try the manual one and see if it makes a difference.

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

The Windows online installation download is 1.35M in size and then you would presumably have to stay online whilst the rest of the programme installs. The 'offline' installion file is 14.5M and may be a safer bet. If you can't get either or don't have broadband, let me know and I can bung the full install version on a CD for you.

Otherwise I could send Danny around ... tho he's not PC literate, just Mac potty trained :)

Regards

Radar

ex-orange
5th Jan 2004, 00:08
Went to the site you said - have been there before - and downloaded manually. It said that I've downloaded the same on my puter before but I downloaded again.... When the installation box came up I pressed to accept .. it then said that me proxy server settings were wrong... Went into help and the instructions there said that I should open the control panel and look for the teacup sign.... there is no bloody teacup sign.... What now hon? Send me that CD x:uhoh:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Jan 2004, 05:36
ex-orange,

I would be happy to fix it for you, if you do not mind flying across the pond.

I still think we could easily fix it by first trying a repair with the WinXP CD, and if that does not work, a fresh install.

Otherwise you are going to spend weeks on this and never get your comp the way you want it.

Take Care,

Richard

ex-orange
5th Jan 2004, 06:17
Richard darling... much as I would love to fly over to visit - with pc of course... the problem has been (almost) solved by the kind intervention of Pprune Radar who has promised -very kindly - to send me a disc so I can install offline.

I think that the problem lies with the guy who built my pc and subsequently installed my software.... he doesn't seem to have given me any discs to re-install anything - so windows update won't work as I think my version may be slightly Captain Hooked - if you see what I mean....oooops. Big apologies to BRL - the computer may not have made a crash landing from a passing artic - but it looks like the software did....:uhoh:

Thanks to all who've tried to help - fingers crossed for the disc to work... xx

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Jan 2004, 06:57
ex-orange,

If you cannot install SP1 for WinXP, your OS might not be legit. If you have WinXP Pro and your CD-Key starts FCKGW... then you were Capt. Hooked. :eek:

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. If you would like a program that lets you view your CD-Key, send me a PM with your email addy and I would be happy to email it to you.

ex-orange
9th Jan 2004, 08:35
Thanks to all of you that have followed my plight...and to all who have tried to help.

PP Radar's CD arrived today - was duly installed and am now firing on all cylinders in chat......:E :ok:

Thanks again to all concerned...xxx

Ex-or

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Jan 2004, 09:21
ex-orange,

That is great news! Happy Chatting. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

BRL
10th Jan 2004, 00:49
Excellent news, well done Dubs :ok:

I was going to write something reeeeeally rude now but I won't. :O ;)