PDA

View Full Version : Anybody I just need advice!!!

Speedbird19
26th Dec 2003, 05:39
Hiya Guys, I've posted on here several times before about this. But my situation is I am 19, I have nearly finished my JAA PPL(A), I also have 200 hours instructing on Grob Motor Gliders.
Sounds okay so far.....but. My eyes, are outside of initial CAA Class 1 limits, but within Renewal Limits.
I just get my self worked up about this unesecary (hormonal Teenager Syndrome!) as I have tried everything to make them better, but I went for an eye test and they have just got a little worse.
I have contacted the CAA, and have been told about a restricted Class 1, but for this you need a stable prescription for 3 years and to be 20 years old. At 20 when I go nxt year, it is impossible for my eyes to have been stable since I was 18 as I am still "growing".
I really need some advice should I go and do the other option which is to gain an FAA CPL/IR which would be an option by the end of the summer as I will have to right amount of hours to do so???
Ohhh, I need some help and reassurance, I am not giving up and am so determined to emabark upon a career that I have dreamed of since a small boy.
:(

Rod Eddington
26th Dec 2003, 18:34
i beleive (not 100% certain) that there is some way of getting around this by taking an FAA class one medical and then converting it to JAA. i don't think the FAA have any pre-set prescription limits (just have to be correctable to the set standard - makes a lot more sense than JAA!) so you should be able to get an FAA class one (they have medical examiners in the UK i think). then when you have the FAA class one you convert it to JAA - the medical for the conversion is equivalent to that of a renewal so you should be OK. i'm not entirely sure about any of the details - i've just picked this up from posts on this forum so it might be worth looking into this option further by doing a search on the topic. good luck

cheers
Rod:ok:

Jinkster
26th Dec 2003, 19:55
As Rod said I have heard something about the conversion. The FAA or the Canadian CAA will do something. However if this doesnt work then an FAA licence and fly in the US or an 'N' reg in the UK.

Best of luck - have you asked about eye surgery or the likes?

Speak to some experts - I know someone who went to Harley Street in London.

Jinkster

Flyin'Dutch'
26th Dec 2003, 22:31
SB19,

It is indeed true that the CAA seem to look favourable on people with experience and class1 medicals by another ICAO state.

The scenario is usually one whereby the person has got say an FAA CPL or ATPL and now needs a class1 for a JAR licence.

Not sure if the same would work if you are just getting a class1 medical.

The FAA is indeed only interested (refraction wise) in a good corrected vision, so it does not matter how strong your prescription is.

There are a fair few FAA AMEs (and one more at that since early this month ;) )in the UK but not sure if there is one in Devon.

However here (http://ame.cami.jccbi.gov/amelist.asp) is a list so you can check that out yourself.

I see what Jinkster is saying but think you need to talk to the CAA first before you have any refractive surgery done. They are very conservative when it comes to that. Some techniques are better than others but long term complications are possible and can endanger your ability to achieve any class of medical.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck,

FD

Speedbird19
27th Dec 2003, 23:16
Thanks guys, I will most prob go the FAA CPL/IR route, and will continue to build up my PPL Hours in the mean time just to back up my claim when I go for my Class 1.
You cant beat expereince I guess! ;)
Thanks all for the advice and I will let you know as soon as something definite happens!