PDA

View Full Version : Charter Pay Rates???

halfmoon
25th Dec 2003, 23:04
Just wondering what a "typical" pay rate would be for a Navajo/402 pilot flying charter would be? Are these usually salaried positions?

thanks for any responces

404 Titan
25th Dec 2003, 23:13
halfmoon

Depends if it is VFR or IFR, but when I last flew a C402/404 about 3 ½ years ago I was on about $38000 + allowances and other duty pay. Maybe someone can quote a reference to the award for what it is worth these days.

:)

halfmoon
26th Dec 2003, 00:12
Thanks 404,

Would you consider 38K a year an average salary for a cabin class twin? Thats seems a little high to me, or what i'm used to in the US.
The reason i'm asking is i'm heading back to OZ next year to work, looking into options for work..
any other responces appreciated

Woomera
26th Dec 2003, 03:58
Pilots (General Aviation) Award (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/other/cth-awards/variations/P0059.html)

maxgrad
26th Dec 2003, 12:39
PRESENTLY FLYING A SHAFTONE NOW
PAY AROUND 35G NO EXTRAS

apache
26th Dec 2003, 15:54
RPT PA31 wage is about 37K.. plus allowances... which equals about 37K!

When I was doing charter in C310 / PA31, the daily wage ( casual) was $200... but no allowances, unless you did an overnight.

I was only getting 2-3 days per week as well.

and this was one of the BETTER charter co's.

I believe that some casual bankrunners get about $150 per day.

sedgie
27th Dec 2003, 15:19
$26,000 to fly a C402/PA-31-350. 6 days a week on everything from day vfr to night freight. That was only 6 months ago on the QLD coast

RYAN TCAD
29th Dec 2003, 15:34
Hi guy's - and gal's.

Woomera - and onlookers - check this out. i believe this is the latest award around.

Its titled PILOTS’ (GENERAL AVIATION) AWARD 1998) and is varied up to 4 April 2003.

click on the link

http://www.wagenet.gov.au/Wagenet/Search/view.asp?docid=234464&query=()&page=0&quickview=Y

and select which part of the award you would like to view from the left hand column.

Everyone should LOG this website -

http://www.wagenet.gov.au/WageNet/HomePage/HomePage.asp

and check anything and everything out. No longer will you be in the dark with regards to who pays what - from Qantas right down to the c-152 bugsmasher pilot!

Cheers all

Bo!

Icarus2001
29th Dec 2003, 15:41
Also available here...

http://www.osiris.gov.au:443/html/awards/16/P0059/top.htm

Willie Nelson
29th Dec 2003, 18:51
I was full time on the PA-31 good conditions and 40k+ however the pay off was that I was far away from civillisation. When I looked into East coast jobs, I was appalled at the pay (eg. initially $165.00 per day then $185.00 when you are more experienced :rolleyes: ) this was long for long days and either 2 or three days per week........... You have got to be kidding.

Willie

G11
30th Dec 2003, 10:30
Everyone can complain until the cows come home but if an operator is not listed as having to pay the award then he does not have to pay it. As per the links abv.

Also, the public are not interested in paying extra for charter just so the Pilot gets more, if two companies have the same aircraft and operating costs and one is more expensive because they pay the Pilot an extra $80 a day then that company won't get the job and that Pilot won't get paid at all!!!

This is a factor in Aussie GA, best bet is to do your time and move on ASAP. If you don't make it to an Airline with better pay, your wrong if you think you will get $50k flying piston RPT/charter.

SAD BUT TRUE.

The whole industry is not set up for that and never will be.

More chance of QF paying less than GA paying more.

G11.

Woomera
30th Dec 2003, 12:42
G11. Not so. A company does not have to be "roped in" to have a legal obligation to pay the appropriate Award rates of pay.

G11
30th Dec 2003, 13:34
Woomera,

What do you mean "roped in" ???

Why is there a published list of all the operators who abide by the award if everyone has to pay it anyway????

If you have any claification on this please advise.

Thanks.

megle2
30th Dec 2003, 17:24
Have a gander at the Respondents to the award listed in the link above.

There is a large percentage that do not exist anymore, have not been around for years, but still listed!

Conversly there is an equal amount that do exist but are not listed.

Seems odd to me.

CHAIRMAN
30th Dec 2003, 19:32
Woomera,
As I understand it, if you are not named as a 'respondent' to the award, and it is a FEDERAL award (there is no STATE equivalent), then there is NO obligation on you to pay other than the Federal Basic Wage! Crazy?!
Megle2, I agree that the list is L O N G out of date.
Question? Who updates the list? And did they retire on a fat pension in about 1986?

Woomera
31st Dec 2003, 06:43
G11. "Roped It" = served with an impossible ambit claim, the employer rolls over and agrees to the Award. (The last AFAP ambit claim I saw some years ago included over 400 days per annum in various categories of leave!)

Chairman. You are probably correct. My reference was to the fact that, under legislation, every Australian worker is covered by either the Minimum Wage or a Federal or State Award.

For advice, call the Department of Industrial Relations in your state or the Australian Industrial Relations Commission.

Lawrie Cox
31st Dec 2003, 06:50
The Australian Federation of Air Pilots is the pilot body respondent to the Awards referred to in the above posts.

The Awards were in fact recently updated as part of the required legislation. The actual respondents list stays in place due to the amount of companies changing names and helps in what we call transmission of business cases. I suggest that if pilots were serious about making the award worthwhile supply the info on a regular basis to us. We do request from our branches updates to go through the required roping-in process. The next will probably occur March April. Be aware that it is a costly and time consuming exercise which we do on behalf of our members as is always the case it is not free. If you have an operator in mind I suggest you provide the following to us:
Full Name of Company;
Trading Name if different;
Full address (not PO Box)
Type of AOC
Aircraft flown
Operation (GA - Fixed or Rotary, Aerial Ag, Regional Airline, etc.)
Please send to the AFAP
[email protected]
Lawrie Cox Industrial Officer AFAP

megle2
31st Dec 2003, 15:10
Laurie - Fair comment

but when you take out the Respondents who may have changed hands and could be still around there is still a heap of listings that folded / passed away or closed up to 20 years ago.

The list should be relevant to the last five years.

Mind you, as a former AFAP member and rep I know how difficult it is to get written feed back.

CHAIRMAN
5th Jan 2004, 19:24
How about the yellow pages for a good place to start?