PDA

View Full Version : What was your best "Rotorhead" Christmas?

SASless
25th Dec 2003, 08:18
Helicopter flying gave me two of the best memories of Christmas I have. One revolves around the bush operation known as "Papa Charlie" in Bristow records. About 150 miles east of Bandar Abbas in the middle of nowhere Iran....stood a tent camp that had no source of heat besides a wee dram or two taken internally. Cuisine amounted to lots of beans and goat and flat bread. Laundry was done in a bucket...hobbies were hot air ballooning and kite flying....and the odd game of Uckers. The Christmas celebration involved a cats chorus, bagpipes, large amounts of beer and whiskey and a most memorable night. Christmas songs sung outdoors in the cold...under a very pretty starry sky.

The other was in a small country in SE Asia during a period of unpleasantness. Pouring rain, poncho's and steel helmets, rifles slung upside down, ankle deep mud......and soldiers singing Silent Night.

TheStormyPetrel
25th Dec 2003, 08:41
Lovely thread - just wanted to say Merry Christmas. Unfortunately I waited until I'd had several glasses of champagne (yes it is still Christmas morning).

Your memories are worth sharing. Mine seem shallow by comparison. However, the best was a Christmas when hubby arrived in helicopter at the back gate.... that was great :)

In general my best Christmases were when my kids were young, enjoying the magic of Christmas, and my hubby was home to enjoy it.

Merry Christmas to all.