PDA

View Full Version : Junk E-mail

trolleydollylover
26th May 2001, 02:05
Does anybody know how to get rid of the B'stards who keep sending me junk e-mails. It is making the use of e-mail pointless, today I had 84 pieces of rubbish. I hate these gits.

------------------
Whoa there bigfella, whoa!

RW-1
26th May 2001, 02:16
Seriously ?

Well, you can try mailing to [email protected]

If that fails, you can usually send them to an address at your provider's, sometimes it's [email protected] , etc.

Last resort, filter them out with your mail client.

Luckily I have my own domain, if I get a tiring one, I'll change the forward to an autoresponder, really cranks them with as many undeliverable messages until their provider cancels them due to that mail piling up on his/her server :)

And of course, being an aviator you could find out where they are, fly over and drop something (It just slipped off the aircraft officer ... honest!")

Hope that helped.

------------------
Marc

PPRuNe Dispatcher
26th May 2001, 13:09
See www.spamcop.com (http://www.spamcop.com) and www.spamcop.net (http://www.spamcop.net)

---PPRuNe Dispatcher

Carpet Rodent
28th May 2001, 18:09
If you're using Web-Based e-mail (Yahoo, Hotmail etc), you'll have an option to block an individual e-mail address, available from your Options menu. If you're on POP3, a request to your ISP will have to be made. I'm lucky, as I have my own domain and can block individual addresses or even entire domains from sending junk-mail to me.

Hope this helps

------------------
Carpet Rodent: The politically correct name for a RUG-RAT

Evo7
29th May 2001, 13:07
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">
Well, you can try mailing to [email protected]
</font>

Only a good idea if it is from @aol.com etc. The reply-to address is almost certainly faked, but the people at aol, hotmail etc. might get try and do something about it. However I'd guess that they must get so many complaints that they are unlikely to follow each one up.

If it's from some other domain, they will ignore the abuse complaint - if they are spamming in the first place they are hardly going to care - and you've just confirmed to them that your e-mail address is live. So they'll sell it, and you'll get much more spam...

[email protected], the lot of them. :mad:

greg1
29th May 2001, 15:42
TDL

The problem is with spyware .dll files and "cookies" (as they are termed). They tend to log your browsing preferences and habits and transmit them to people you would not want to hear from. Harmless but very anoying.

Go here to solve your problem: http://www.lavasoft.de/aaw/index.html

Download and install "Ad-Aware 5.0". Run it from time to time. Freeware last time I checked.

Hope it helps -Cheers

------------------
------------------------
Think Rate! Don't Think! Don't Think!

Squawk 8888
30th May 2001, 07:16
My favourite tactic is the "spambot snack". Be sure to set up a fake return address in your mail/news client, then put together a list of email addresses of known spammers and post them to usenet. The software that goes through the newsgroups and adds addresses to mailing lists will dutifully put the spammer into all of the other spammers' mailing lists :)

------------------
Per dementia ad astra

Big Red ' L '
30th May 2001, 10:07
Simply get a new PPRuNe E-Mail addy. I havn't had one bit of spam with mine and its available from anywhere as its web-based.

Good Luck.

------------------
Its not the fall that kills you...Its the sudden stop.....

trolleydollylover
30th May 2001, 13:36
Cheers chaps I will try some of these, the filters dont tend to work though. I like the idea of putting a spammer on a spammers spam list. I think I have that right...cheers!

------------------
Whoa there bigfella, whoa!