PDA

View Full Version : SQ pilots do the walk.

Foreign Worker
24th Dec 2003, 21:10
Once considered the creme de la creme of International Airlines, Singapore Airlines are suddenly faced with a massive exodus of not only foreign pilots, but their own nationals, who are resigning at all time records for what are perceived as more lucrative jobs away from the small island nation.

SARS again resurfaced only within the past week, when a Taipei resident attended a conference in Singapore, causing - according to CNN - some 90 Singaporeans to be quarantined, for fear of having been exposed to the SARS virus, an outbreak of which Singapore can ill afford.

SARS had a devastating effect on Asian airlines during the last Northern Hemisphere winter.

As a direct result of the SARS scare, Singapore Airlines - in a "knee-jerk" reaction - dismissed a significant percentage of their expatriate workforce, and imposed a seemingly punitive and savage wage cut on those who remained.
Now that the tide has turned, pilots seem to be sending a clear message to SIA that loyalty is a two way street.

CDRW
25th Dec 2003, 08:50
Would be interested to know which publication that article came from.

Fortunately for the gestapo management, alot of the expats and locals are literally trapped into working for this outfit in the form of the "bond" - however having said that it is interesting to note that nearly every local pilot I have met has an application to another airline and many are prepared to loose a considerable amount of money to make it happen.

Next year will be interesting times - but won't hold my breath as the gestapo will simply move the goal posts.

Merry Christmas and for all of us - good luck for next year.

Jim Morehead
26th Dec 2003, 03:02
The second previous message had some words of advice that some (management and labor) may miss.

LOYALTY IS A TWO-WAY STREET.

Employers AND employees have to understand that there is no free lunch. But....about Singapore,I like to ask a few questions.

Since they sacked a number of people and have hired,is the hiring ONLY for the SQ CARGO Company? Will the SQ Cargo be a no bidding situation? What number of days off could one expect or has anything been promised?

On the main SQ airline , are all of the expats outside of SQ given 8 on and 8 off and a schedule 3-4 months in the future basically with the same trip(s) repeated over and over?

IF,and I say if, SQ were to eliminate the expat bases outside of SIN, what would a SQ "local" or an SQ expat based in SQ expect in terms of days off and hours? Any information would be appreciated. I am just trying to learn what the "current" situation is for expats in the various places around the world where jobs are available.

ATTN: do not panic...I am not looking for a job <bfg>. I am just trying to find out the facts and work on facts and not emotion. pilots USUALLY do that!

New York Pilot
26th Dec 2003, 03:31
One unmistakable fact is that Singapore Airlines will always be under the opinion that they can do any thing that want and people will still want to fly for them. Somehow, I just do not feel that way...

Happy holidays to all and to all a good night!!!!!