PDA

View Full Version : student food

bluemoon
25th May 2001, 22:56
eg beans on toast with mayonnaise. ever tried it - it's yummy.

Natterjack
25th May 2001, 23:11
Can't say I have to eat beans on toast to survive, but it is rather tasty... mmm McDonald's.

------------------
I spend most of my money on beer and women; the rest I just waste.

kabz
26th May 2001, 00:33
Some pasta. Some chopped tomatoes and sweetcorn. Can of tuna. Drop into bowl and microwave for 6 minutes.

Yum. Used to live on it.

RW-1
26th May 2001, 01:22
Farmer's Salad:

Cottage Cheese.

Small cut up pieces of tomatoes, celery (and even green pepper if you are inclined).

Add a slight amount of sour cream, like one spoonful to the bowl.

Sprinkle some Dill Weed into it.

Mix.

Very good, and generally ok for you too.

------------------
Marc

WildBill
26th May 2001, 01:27
Kabz,

Have you tried adding Chicken Tonight sauce. French something or other. Causes the tuna to have an identity crisis, but tastes pretty good...:-)

WB

If it doesn't move fast enough, eat it...

little red train
26th May 2001, 01:30
Favorite was

thin chopped onions browned.
slices of the cheapest rumpy steak possible.
simmer away in 1 tin of tesco value beer!

Yummy.

no cooker?

bake-beens (ring-pull no tin opener)
tabasco sauce, lots of pepper.

or

tinned fish (ring pull, again no tin opener)
tabasco sauce, lots of pepper.

tom775257
26th May 2001, 02:46
As a student I feel qualified to respond:
*Pot noodle.
*Sainsbury's ready made chicken vindaloo
*Stella Artois

the only way to live

OLD_EGG_BOUND
26th May 2001, 03:07
Boil some spuds and carrots together. Saute some finely chopped onions. When spuds are cooked add some milk and butter and mash along with carrots. Add corned beef and onions then grill. Season to taste.
Serve with beer.

Luke SkyToddler
26th May 2001, 03:10
Students, hah! Nothing but rank amateurs when it comes to eating on the cheap ...

Tesco's value baked beans 'n' sausages, 37 p for a humongous great can ...
Tesco's value bread, 15 p / loaf
Tesco's value margarine, 49 p / tub
Tesco's value frosted cornflakes, 79 p / packet
Milk for the cornflakes, complimentary, courtesy of the flying school coffee machine :)

Groceries sorted for the week for less than 3, and it's been a decade since I was at university ... flying instructor you see http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Natterjack
26th May 2001, 03:22
Why go to such extents, for example cooking beans and toasting bread, when one can simply ring for a takeway? ;)

------------------
I spend most of my money on beer and women; the rest I just waste.

Hersham Boy
26th May 2001, 12:53
My student household killed two birds with just the one stone: live on Guinness.

Gets you lashed and 6 pints have about the same nutritional value as a 'Have you ever been to a Harvester before?' meal.

;)

PS. Hated Pot Noodles back then - luv 'em now. "Spicy Pot Noodle - oooh, I'M scared". lol

------------------
I'm in the hi-fidelity first class traveling set and I think I need a Lear jet

Throtlemonkey
26th May 2001, 14:20
As a student I lived on simple quick recipes, the faster the better.
Favorite one was two minute noodles with a small tin of tuna (preferably one with a ring pull) thrown in.

I was a truck driver before I became an airplane driver and then I lived of hamburgers from the next town ordered over the UHF radio, caffiene tablets, coke, coffee, cigarettes and frozen sausage rolls wrapped in foil and wedged behind the turbo to cook.

Grainger
26th May 2001, 16:50
My favourite is the Vegetarian Lunch:

Three pints of beer and a cheese and onion toastie !!

LGL737
26th May 2001, 16:54
This is a really easy one:

Minced beef mixed with sweet corns and onions and then alot of ketchup poured over. and another good thing about it is that it only take 9 minutes to prepare it.
(it'll last for 2 days if you take more minced beef)... surprise :)

rgds
LGL

edited for spelling

[This message has been edited by LGL737 (edited 26 May 2001).]

Rollingthunder
26th May 2001, 16:55
Beware of those cups of noodles packaged things. Usually excessive qty's of sodium.

Burger with fried egg where the lettuce would usually go.

Fries with mayonnaise.

Sausage and raw onion sandwich.

[This message has been edited by Rollingthunder (edited 26 May 2001).]

bluemoon
26th May 2001, 20:02
yesterday i found two dead beetles in my le creuset cooking pot. it appears they had fallen in and, as they were unable get out again, starved to death! being a veggie i didn't put them to a nutritional use, such as beetleburgers with beans on toast and mayonnaise. it must have been quite a stressfully slow and horrid death for them both. mind you it could have been much worse, they could have died in one of those cheap crapy pans from woolworths

[This message has been edited by bluemoon (edited 26 May 2001).]

Boss Raptor
26th May 2001, 20:48
Try shopping at Aldi or Lidl and the Buy One Get One Free at Iceland 'BOGOF' is a major advantage...

Never a student but did 3 years as an instructor and find it difficult to stop being frugal...I am a boss after all!!

Charlie Foxtrot India
27th May 2001, 07:54
Monday: Bacon Sandwiches
Tuesday: Bacon sandwiches
Wednesday: Bacon Sandwiches
Thursday: Bacon Sandwiches
Friday: Bacon Sandwiches
Saturday: Bacon Sandwiches
Sunday: Bacon Sandwiches.

Baggy
27th May 2001, 13:30
I seem to recall that rice - cold, hot, boiled or fried - and more rice was a good combination....

traveler
27th May 2001, 14:39
In my poor days I would put some pasta sauce from a jar on a slice of bread and stick it in the oven. Voila; pizza. On the weekend I would treat myself occasionally to a mushroom or bell-pepper. When a pity check would arrive from my parents I'd go all out and add ground beef or pepperoni. Those were the days. :)

Charlie Foxtrot India
27th May 2001, 17:30
And for a special treat and when you can't afford Nutella, try a "Drinking Chocolate Sandwich"

Take two slices of white plastic bread
Liberally spread whatever [email protected] marge you can afford on one side of both slices
Sprinkle drinking chocolate until you have a layer approx 1cm thick on the lower slice
Squish the other slice on top (so the marged side is on the inside)
Eat - but don't sneeze!

Yum!

Alternatively you can mix the marge and drinking choc into a fudge-like paste and then spread just like Nutella.

For added fun, try it with nine layers of plastic bread.

A word of caution, students, about that dangerously addictive substance, Hellmans Mayonnaise.
When my sister was at uni she lived exclusively on Hellmans and white bread. To this day, twenty years later, she carries an emergency jar of Hellmans in her handbag, in case she gets peckish on the tube or eats out unexpectedly. Yes, even in the poshest restaurants the Hellmans is cunningly and subtly applied.
I had to go cold turkey when I came to Aus, you can't get it here! Waah!

[This message has been edited by Charlie Foxtrot India (edited 27 May 2001).]

dingducky
12th Jun 2001, 15:34
my sis recommends a 2 minute noodle omlette.
cook the noodles and drain em
then add them to an egg that has been beaten and has the flavor thing mixed in.
the cook it up as a wonderful omlette :)

------------------
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

VnV2178B
12th Jun 2001, 15:58
A fresh lardy cake, a pint of chilled milk and a couple of apples - lived on that for months - but it was a very long time age.

Do NOT try tinned anchovy and condensed milk sandwiches, the taste is horrible and they repeat on you all afternoon (and evening, and night, and the next day...)

DD, is it the omlette thing that makes your sister b*nk like a demented rabbit ?
Perhaps we should have a 'tested aphrodisiacs' thread !

VnV...

con-pilot
12th Jun 2001, 20:23
When I was in college many, many years ago there was only two food groups.

1. Pizza, pizza, pizza, pizza and more pizza.

2. Beer.

P.S. Hate pizza now, still love beer.

Send Clowns
12th Jun 2001, 21:04
Fry an onion with garlic. Add tinned tomatoes. Add oregano, basil and black pepper to taste, tabasco if available. Start cooking pasta. When pasta is done, drain and add to other. Simple!

Lived on that at uni. Tastes great with cheap wine or beer, very healthy, cheap and filling. If grant check has only just been depositted can add vegetables to taste, suggest courgette, mushroom or pepper at the frying stage.

------------------
'Me here at last on the ground, you in mid air'

BahrainLad
12th Jun 2001, 23:14
Best is going to Tesco Hypermarket in Newcastle and getting all the cheap food at 10pm when they sell it of. Have to decapitate the old biddies first (those stupid trolley things make handy weapons) and then grab the food.

Bread at 2p a loaf. Why???????? Why don't they just give it to people???????

Summer Students Eat Vodka Jellies - or so I'm told ;-)

BahrainLad
12th Jun 2001, 23:18
Oops....forgot 'special' foods as well.

Brownies anyone?

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh Flood Control.

ScottishBurd
13th Jun 2001, 02:01
Bachelor's supernoodles,a tin of corned beef & an onion.Makes you feel so full you won't want to eat for a week..

OzPax1
13th Jun 2001, 02:08
Aussie Uni students need four things:-
*Bread
*Butter
*Vegimite
*Their home State's beer

I knowit, cos I did it!

:) :)

OzPax1 http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

[This message has been edited by OzPax1 (edited 12 June 2001).]

tom775257
13th Jun 2001, 05:53
On a slight side note,
has any one seen the best addy ever??
the supernoodle vindaloo add playing 'ring of fire' in the background.
comic genius to a drunk student such as myself...

Blacksheep
13th Jun 2001, 09:04
"Minesweeping" in the canteen is the best way to live and it supplies an interestingly varied diet too. Thursday is feast day when Pizzahut do "All you can eat for a pound"

When my daughter was in Newcastle there was a young matchstick-thin Gothic chap who came into Pizzahut every Thursday night and ate four or five large Deep Pan Hawaians back to back, coughed up his quid and left. I reckon that was the only food he ate all week.

Through difficulties to the cinema

Windy Militant
13th Jun 2001, 18:37
Never been a student had, to get a proper job as soon as I left school. However a couple of stories that have reached me over the years that may amuse and disgust you.
1) Friend of mine went back to college a couple of years ago as a mature student. He told me of a kiddie at the same college who was taken to hospital suffering from scurvy or possibly rickets. His lecturer decided that when the student's teeth started falling out at a lecture that enough was enough. Seems that when his grant ran out our hapless hero cooked up a vast quantity of porridge, lined a drawer with newspaper then filled the drawer with the porridge and allowed it to set. Over the next few weeks he would cut slices of the cold porridge to eat as and when he felt the need. Apparently when he was hospitalised there was half a drawer of mould encrusted porridge still left.
2) Never liked Pot Noodles and definitely will not eat then now having seen what the Japanese do with them. A friends girlfriend was actually sick having had a pot noodle for lunch, then been shown the SHAG POT web site by a colleague at work. At least I think she said it was called the shag pot. Apparently you fill it with hot water, allow to cool, fit the rubber diaphragm and its just like the real thing
3) And finally students should never eat anything green unless it used to be bread!

dingducky
13th Jun 2001, 19:51
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">DD, is it the omlette thing that makes your sister b*nk like a demented rabbit ?</font>
nope different sister! :)

------------------
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.