PDA

View Full Version : Change in prescription

Rupert S
24th Dec 2003, 05:50
My eyesight prescription has just changed (for the better I'm happy to say!). Do I need to inform my AME to have my medical altered (class 2)?
Thanks in advance
Rupert S.

Flyin'Dutch'
25th Dec 2003, 21:43
No, you don't have to.

FD

Rupert S
25th Dec 2003, 23:27
Thanks for your help - what happens if you go over the limits of the medical though? Do you then have to say something or are you granted a grace period until your next medical renewal? :ok:

Flyin'Dutch'
26th Dec 2003, 00:14
If you have a condition which you know or suspect may render you unfit for flight you have to ground yourself.

You would then contact your AME or the CAA to see what needs to happen before you can be certified fit again.

Of course one can elect not to do this but you would be flying with an invalid medical and therefore you would hand your insurance an easy get out clause if anything happened. Not very sensible.

So, no there is no grace period.

FD

Beethoven
28th Dec 2003, 02:09
According to my AME,you would be very unlikely to lose your medical through prescription strength alone.I still have my class 1 even though my glasses are now stronger than was allowed for my initial issue.Whenever I renew,there is a question on the form as to whether my prescription has changed in the last year.I have never told him as soon as it happens but then my renewal is every year.