PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Bournemouth accom & EPTA

Arrowhead
24th Dec 2003, 01:37
I am going to Bournemouth in the New Year to do my IR, and need some advice:

1) Where should I live? I have the B&B list, but its so hard to choose between them all. All I need is a bed, desk, TV, and evening meals if I want, and a short trip to the school. <£17/night (excl meals) would be nice.

2) Which instructor should I ask for? Are they all equal? Is one worse than the others?

3) What else about the IR at EPTA should I know? Any other advice/tips of things I should know or ask for.

Any help would be much appreciated.

>>--->

parris50
24th Dec 2003, 22:19
Did my MEP, IR and MCC at EPTA. I stayed at Stour Park. Very friendly and helpful. You get a decent room, TV excellent facilities including the use of the kitchen, swimming pool etc. There's usually quite a few other pilots there as well and you are very close to the airport. I stayed there last spring/summer and was charged £15 per night in breakfast.

They have 3 Seminoles and and FNPT 2 so I never lost any time through a/c going tech.

Charges are based on airborne time + 0.2 hours for taxi. This can work in your favour at times when the airport is busy which it often is. At £330 per hour it can make quite a difference!

Instructors are good. They take a real interest in your training and are always on hand to answer any questions.

lionco
26th Dec 2003, 20:03
Arrowhead check your pm;)

Gin Slinger
26th Dec 2003, 22:09
1) I tried a couple off the list in Southbourne, and they were both fine, provided you can put up with typical English landlady asking you too many questions first thing in the morning. Southbourne is handy for weekend pissups if that's your cup of tea.

2) The two I had were both excellent, and I didn't hear any complaints about others whilst I was there.

3) Make sure you do plenty of prep in the evenings, and if they still haven't got round to fitting a Hobbs meter, try to get as much practice as you can in the Fresca. Although bear in mind 2), as with any type of flight training, your success is down how much effort you put in more than anything else.

oskar
30th Dec 2003, 04:25
hi,
I did my ir at eta in bournemouth, excellent instructors and atmosphere. The place that i stayed was called byland house holiday flats and they are brilliant, there are other students there at present doing there ir and also a couple of air traffic controllers. The couple that own it are called anne and graham barber, really nice people whom will take care of you, might even do your washing if you ask nicely. they charge between £100-150 a week for a flat which includes cooker,fridge,tv and all other mod cons.It is placed in westbourne which is 10 minutes by car to the airport. their website is www.bhfa.co.uk and look under byland house,If it is peace and comfort you want go there. good luck in your ir