PDA

View Full Version : SilkAir to Darwin

Wirraway
23rd Dec 2003, 23:52
Tues "The Australian"

SilkAir takes a southern dive
By Steve Creedy
December 23, 2003

Singapore Airlines has hailed the first flights to Australia by subsidiary SilkAir as a "good first step" which could lead to operations into the Northern Territory.

SilkAir will operate two charters using A320 and A319 aircraft into Darwin in February.

A German travel company will use the jets to bring 256 tourists to the territory as part of the package.

Germany is the territory's biggest source of international tourists and the NT Government had put a business case to SilkAir arguing that it could begin charters.

Acting NT Chief Minister Syd Stirling said yesterday the German decision to charter aircraft added weight to the argument that the time was right for increased international services to the territory.

SilkAir said the charters, worth about $200,000 in direct visitor spending to the NT, would raise awareness of the Territory and heighten the possibility of future operations to Darwin.

The airline said the challenge for NT tourism officials was to build markets with sustainable yield.

SIA is also joining forces with other investors on a low-cost carrier with planes able to reach Darwin.

==========================================

knackeredII
24th Dec 2003, 06:38
Considering SilkAir are going to lose about a third of their pilots over the next couple of months, it will be interesting to see how they plan to crew any expansion!

B772
24th Dec 2003, 07:03
I do not think 2 Charters to DRW will cause any problems

Kaptin M
24th Dec 2003, 07:59
"I do not think 2 Charters to DRW will cause any problems"
I would have thought that losing "about a third of their pilots over the next couple of months", would have made it almost impossible to crew existing schedules, let alone any extra charters, as I understand Silk Air pilots are flying about the max now, at their current understaffed levels.

Where's everyone going, knackered? Or is it a case of, "just anywhere OTHER than here"?

knackeredII
24th Dec 2003, 17:53
Did I say that 2 charters were going to cause any problems? I was referring more to the aforementioned 'future operations'.

B772
1st Jan 2004, 06:31
knackered11 are you suggesting Silkair will loose a third of their pilots over the next couple of months to Jetstar ???

stable approach
1st Jan 2004, 08:11
They are losing ( loose means rattling and about to drop off ) them to Dragonair, EVA, Valuair, Emirates, Sri Lankan and Qatar.

Kaptin M
1st Jan 2004, 10:07
"What ye sow, so shall ye reap".
Informed sources tell me that for the first time in its history, there are more locals leaving Singapore than there are expats leaving (probably because the expats are bonded!!).

knackeredII
1st Jan 2004, 20:02
B772, I'm looking really hard to see where I mentioned 'Jetstar' but I just can't see it! There are other airlines in the world other than Australian ones, as the last couple of posters so kindly point out.

The just concluded CA may change the minds of a few but the numbers will still be around a quarter of the total strength. Almost none are looking at Jetstar.