PDA

View Full Version : Timing of the airline meal

jnp
23rd Dec 2003, 17:02
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I've had a look around and couldn't find anything on it...

I'm always surprised that on long-haul flights departing late (ie after 11pm) they still serve a meal. By the time its served and cleared away, its usually at least 1am and several hours of precious sleeping time have been lost.

I know that you're not obliged to eat it, but firstly you feel like you ought to (as you've paid for it!) and secondly, if you're a light sleeper, you won't nod off until all the noise/commotion dies down anyway.

My point is, why the obsession to serve a meal at an odd time of day? Passengers will most likely be accustomed to the time-zone they're leaving, so if its a midnight departure, why not let everyone go to sleep (they've probably eaten earlier in the evening anyway) then serve a nice breakfast at a sensible hour (ie after 6-7 hours sleeping time).

I know the likely answer will be that airlines define this as 'part of their excellent in-flight service', but personally I'd consider the opportunity to get as much rest as possible a higher priority than a midnight meal and surely I can't be alone...

Am I??

Boss Raptor
23rd Dec 2003, 17:53
I always arrive at the airport to get a meal in departures prior to boarding. However on the other hand many passengers may have a long journey (many hours) to the airport and little time/opportunity to grab something to eat...nothing worse than to be hungry all night.

I think there would be far more complaints if you withdrew the late evening meal service than positive approvals.

Now showing a movie after the meal service starting at 2300+ does keep people up...again however the advent of seat back screens has reduced the disruption that this used to cause to passengers who chose to sleep.

Jerricho
23rd Dec 2003, 18:44
You're not alone in thinking this, but may I put this to you. I may not be "midnight" for every body on the flight. Connections from other flights from anywhere could mean that while not the majority, people aren't all on the same time zone.

I believe it's also a little ploy from the airlines. A passenger with a full belly is going to be more likely to drift off to sleep, rather than sit there and bash the call button every 15 mins for a drink.

Personally, I don't eat most airline food. Especially on long haul flights.........really screws with the constitution if you know what I mean.

PAXboy
23rd Dec 2003, 22:18
On the old 'Ya gets wot yer pays for ...' VS introduced a dining service in Upper a couple of years ago. In the Clubhouse, you can eat a full meal whilst waiting to board. Once onboard, tell them that you don't want meals and they will not wake you until the start of the let down - if you so request.

Alternatively, if very tired but you still need to work, ask for breakfast four hours before landing, so as to have time to wake up and work. Sorry to sound like a paid advert, although chance would be a fine thing. :rolleyes: OK, well how about a few Flying Club Miles in my stocking? :E
============================
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

WHBM
27th Dec 2003, 17:28
Is it not really the case that, regardless of the time of day involved, long haul flights tend to serve a larger meal an hour or two after departure, and a smaller meal an hour before arrival.

TightSlot
28th Dec 2003, 09:13
The difficulty is that not everybody shares your perception, jnp . The mechanics of providing a meal for several hundreds people are such that you cannot please all of the people all of the time, you have to try and manage a percieved majority requirement. I think you make a reasonable point, and when flying as a passenger I would (personally) agree with you. But my perception is coloured by by knowledge and experience of air travel, my personal preference, and my ability to prepare for the flight by feeding myself in advance, based on that perception. The same may not be true for everyone.

It is sometimes possible, in First & sometimes Business class, because of the lower volumes, for the crew to consider staggering meals according to demand. In economy, the equation is much more complicated. Boss Raptor & Jerricho make valid points about the varying origins and requirements of passengers on any given flight.

The point is (surely) that everyone is different. For myself, I can't think of anywhere I'd less like to get drunk that in a metal tube being propelled through space at speed, but clearly there are many that would disagree as to the best way to spend an evening. I just ask for an airline to get me to my destination alive, more or less on time, and with staff who can exchange elementary courtesies with me very occasionally. Sadly, this is not always possible.

:{