PDA

View Full Version : December China Airlines Update

Jim Morehead
23rd Dec 2003, 10:42
I thought any of you interested in Aviation this part of world would like an update as 2003 comes to a close. I do my last trip of the year to SFO tonight,so I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. And Chinese New Year is just around the corner.

Hiring at CAL continues with classes planned for the next three months. CAL continues to see pilots retire and I believe there are four new airplanes coming in 2004. The biggest expansion will be 2005.

A new 747F Freighter arrived this month making CAL one of the largest operators of this airplane type.

This month's new pilot class had a group from Brazil and they went to the 737-800. I think there are 14 pilots starting in January. I had heard they may be the remainder of the SQ guys who were, well uh "released".

From the other threads,you can see that the Canadians are coming. I recall that they have interviews in Feburary and March. One friend from AC who was interviewed prior to the trip to YVR starts on March 1st. March may be a big month for new guys starting as I think there are two classes that month.

The last 747-200F airplane flies this month and some of those guys will transition to 747-400 and others go to different fleets.

Another development in TPE is that the Asiaworld hotel where we stay is being renovated and now is a Holiday Inn. The sign went up yesterday. So if you are looking for the hotel, it is now called the Holiday Inn Asiaworld. It is right across the street from a major sports stadium which will be completed in 2005. The entire area is in the northeast part of Taipei near the domestic airport.

I thought it was only fair to invite the hotel GM to our First annual expat Christmas party last night. The GM was gracious enough to visit with us and he brought a few trays of goodies. All of the new young guys made sure that the plates were left clean!

Anyway,I hope that the New Year finds you all happy and healthy no matter where you are flying.

jet4hire
24th Dec 2003, 08:22
Thanks, for taking the time to give us an update in CAL for this month.

I have been in contact with Susan Fan via email the last information I received she was asking me for a suitable CAL airport city so that, I can travel from for the Jan interview. I did reply and since then I have not heard from her again. Any sugesstions? I really would love to joint CAL.

Thank you for your feed back! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2004. keep up that good attitude! :ok:

"hire4ajet"

ausflyer
24th Dec 2003, 09:19
Hi there Jim,

Thanks also for the update. Merry christmas to you all. (Pls check your PM's)

Cheers,

Ausflyer,

Western Samar

Pete Conrad
24th Dec 2003, 13:15
Well done Jim, take it easy and have a good Xmas.

speedtwoten
24th Dec 2003, 13:27
Great thing's Jim for updating,
just curiousity do CAL will contact the applicant no matter they are accepted or rejected just for their information??
Merry Christmast and every happiness in the New Year.:)

Jim Morehead
25th Dec 2003, 06:42
Well...I made it to Lake Tahoe and had to buy a real full fare ticket on Southwest to get to Reno,so don't let that get around. Sorta like being caught buying a newspaper when there are plenty of good used ones on the airplanes.

On the question of whether they'll answer every application, I don't know. I think they have an acknowledgement procedure.

I can tell you that they have had many applications and obviously not all are going to be successful(depends on how you define success).I did see a large box of applications yesterday and they can't get through all that they receive each day.
So you have to be patient. I know it is hard when you are job hunting like I was a year ago.

Again,thank you for the compliments. I am just hoping to match "buyer" with "seller". It is nice when a company is expanding.

There was one development that I saw on the CAL website yesterday and it may be somewhat neutral,but I think it is more positive.

There is a Taiwan Company called the Foundation (maybe best described as a government) who owns and leases airplanes to China Airlines. They own some of the simulators also. CAl has 4 747-400s that were leased. Apparently they bid and bought them. I don't know who else might have bid for them. They are 4 of the older 747-400s as if a 13-14 year old airplane is old.

That's ggod news as there was some talk that they might have replaced them one for one. By owning them and keeping them, that will add to the expansion for 2004-2005 that CAL will experience.

The web site of www.china-airlines.com will have the PR announcement about this development.

I hope you all have a happy Christmas and Holiday season. If Santa Claus is going to stop by Reno and Tahoe today, he'll need at least CAT2 qualifications. W1 X 1/2S++ and a foot of snow in the driveway. Skiing is going to be good this next week in the west.

Jim Morehead
3rd Jan 2004, 12:48
JET4Hire
Hey I heard you won the lottery and I need your e-mail to find out the address to deliver the money.

How about dropping me your e-mail to me in a PM or directly at
[email protected]

JIM