PDA

View Full Version : NGO Flying

F33
23rd Dec 2003, 01:33
Anyone know how to get started, or who to talk to to start flying got NGO's ? I hear its a hell of a way to build time and get variety of aircraft ... Do you contact the UN and Red cross direct ??

Jelly Doughnut
23rd Dec 2003, 04:55
Howzit
the so-called humanitarian flying is done mostly by private companies subcontracted to the aid organisations. Try Rossair, King Air Services, NAC (Lanseria), Naturelink (Pretoria) and Balmoral or Fedair (Durban). Most operators use Caravan, King Air, B1900. Do a search under this forum, this has been discussed lots of times before you will find all the info you need including contact details etc.
Good luck, it is some of the best flying you can do!
Cheers
JD

F33
23rd Dec 2003, 14:09
cool man ! thanks ! appreciate the info and all ........
I am reading mixed reactions here on these forums ..... Some say its good some bad, and mixed reactions about these companies as well. Surely that side of the market can't be that bad !?!?!? Although, africa is not for sissys !!! :cool:
Whats the word in working up there and for these people ??
there are so many damn rumors out about companies at durban and lanseria it just leaves a lot of uncertainty .........

Cardinal Puff
23rd Dec 2003, 15:21
Why'd you want to fly for the UN? 47 chiefs and two Indians make for confusion of mythical proportions. The chiefs can barely agree on which way is up, less where they want you to go and what to carry. The two Indians are just biding their time while waiting to become chiefs and earn fat salaries warming a seat while they are immune from being shot down for screwing up.

Better you listen to your mother and become a lawyer, like she wanted you to do when you left school.

Majutes
12th Jan 2004, 10:29
Puff has clearly worked with the U.N. before. He's hit the nail on the head. All the same it is a great way to build your time up and have a laugh at the same time

planecrazi
13th Jan 2004, 00:46
Cardinal Puff did hit the nail hard on it's head. Having spent 6 years with UN and one year with the Red Cross myself, I can confirm the Red Cross was far a better operation to be a part of.;)

Al380
13th Jan 2004, 01:19
Planecrazi,

Do the red cross have its own fleet? I was told they only used subcontracted companies too.
Cheers

planecrazi
13th Jan 2004, 20:44
It was subcontracted with a South African Company, as Head Office, and a local company was formed in Kenya which was used, of a similar name.

Wireless
14th Jan 2004, 01:40
With regard to working for such companies, is it usual to recieve block time off after a period of working or are you expected to move permanantly to the area of operations?A friend of mine worked for Zimex in North Africa and he worked something like 6 weeks on and 4 off. I understand that they aren't involved in humanitarian flying so things may work differently. I have been to see MAF in Kent but they hardly let you back home except to raise more cash. Also, how much do companies such as Air Serv pay their crew?

I have just about finished saving the funds for my FAA CPL/IR after 2 years of saving! I am looking to train around May. I have 300 hours at the moment. I will have around 400 when I finish. My intentions are to perhaps go out to Maun to see if I can get a job to build hours. I know that the NGO companies such as Air Serv require more flight time, so my aim is to get some hours first then see if I can get a start. Ideally I do want to find work that I can do for some years as opposed to just building hours, so I think I would need to find work that gives block time off and pays a reasonable wage if I am to be sensible about maintaining my sanity!

Cheers, Bill

mini
22nd Jan 2004, 15:21
Add Safair, C-130's (SA) and ALS, B 1900 & ATR 42 (Kenya) to your list.

Most UN stuff is handled by the World Food Programme either directly or through UNHAS (Humanitarian Air Service)

A lot of the AN's are operated by Ukranian Co's - cheapest bidder remember...