PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Mystery Aircraft

pulse1
22nd Dec 2003, 21:11
When and where did it fly?

http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/65/41/KraftCPS/1/1.jpg

I'm trying to make it bigger but, so far, unsuccessfully.

Man-on-the-fence
22nd Dec 2003, 21:26
Give us a chance!!! I can barely see the image let alone identify it.

Aerohack
22nd Dec 2003, 22:08
Portsmouth Aerocar Major, sole prototype first flown from Portsmouth Airport on 18 June 1947 by Major Frank Luxmoore. Prototype Aerocar Minor was abandoned, one other CKD airframe reportedly shipped to India as pattern aircraft for planned production there.

pulse1
22nd Dec 2003, 22:29
Gosh, that was quick. Well done Aerohack.

For those who might be interested, the Aerocar was designed and built by Portsmouth Aviation Ltd (was Portsmouth, Southsea & Isle of Wight Aviation Ltd). It flew in the 1948 Farnborough Show but was too heavy and expensive to make it commercially.

PSIWA Ltd owned Portsmouth and Ryde Airports and used to operate a service to the Isle of Wight using a variety of aircraft which included a Klemm and a Wessex (G-ABVB).

My workplace which is owned by PA has a very nice mural of Portsmouth Airport halfway up the stairs. The Aerocar has pride of place in the foreground.

Bre901
23rd Dec 2003, 00:06
Pulse1

Is there a reason to hide it from us ?

treadigraph
23rd Dec 2003, 00:22
Looks like the results of an improper liaison between a Rapide and an Islander...

Aerohack
23rd Dec 2003, 00:58
Well, Treaders, it was aimed at the very markets/roles that those two fulfilled so admirably.

Loki
23rd Dec 2003, 02:46
So, who actually designed it? It has overtones of Hurel et Dubois about it. The name also calls to mind the Miles Aerovan.

Aerohack
23rd Dec 2003, 03:02
Portsmouth Aviation's chairman and managing director, Lionel Balfour, began design work in 1942 on what later became the Aerocar. Frank Luxmoore and others contributed to the final configuration, which Balfour explained thus: "The many distinct advantages of the twin-boom layout, from a structural, aerodynamic and general utility viewpoint, have begun to be recognised in recent years, as exemplified in the de Havilland Vampire, Fairchild Packet, Lockheed Lightning and Northrop Black Widow…some of the advantages of the arrangement result in fully-supported twin rudders for good single engine control, efficient and high aspect ratio tailplane and elevators, lightly-stressed cabin enabling ample doors to be provided, with opening rear end for easy stowage of awkward loads."

treadigraph
23rd Dec 2003, 05:37
Blimey - just looking at a proper pic of said wee beasty, and I amend my description to an improper liaison between a Lockheed Lightning and an Airspeed Horsa. Or is it the Edgley Optica? I think. Actually, there is a connection there... sort of...

If you are all good and say your bedtime prayers, I'll post a full pic here on the morrow.

Bonne Nuit...

Amended - do I mean Horsa? Think I actually refer to the Waco Jacko Hadrian...

Later... Here it is

http://www.tpsconsult.co.uk/dump/aerocar.jpg

Flap40
24th Dec 2003, 17:21
Looks like it ought to be an early prototype of the OV-10 Bronco:)

LowNSlow
24th Dec 2003, 19:35
Well I like it :D

Please bear in mind that I also like the Aero 45, the Cessna 337 and the Argosy........

Torres
29th Dec 2003, 06:46
LowNSlow, then you'll certainly like this hot one...........

http://www.vectorsite.net/avp513-1.jpg

:}

LowNSlow
29th Dec 2003, 13:05
torres can't see it old chap.