PDA

View Full Version : skype.com

22nd Dec 2003, 13:10
Has anybody ever used it and what experiences have you made? Is it even useable? I see its been downloaded 4,277,706 times and counting, so there must be some incentive.
These guys are promising free, high quality phoning over the net. I havent used it, mainly because I dont know anyone that has the software on their pc. Sad, I dont know one out of 4,277,706 people:{

Has anybody used it, and would you recommend it?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Dec 2003, 13:44

Looks like only 56,031 downloads at download.com, here is the link:

Skype beta (http://download.com.com/3000-2349-10225259.html?tag=lst-0-1)

You should get a friend to load it so you can test it out. Let us know how it works.

Take Care,

Richard

Capt Snooze
23rd Dec 2003, 11:06
Thoroughly recommend it!

Currently using it out of a hotel in China to a private home in Austalia. It has better quality sound than Callserve. (Not knocking Callserve, which provides an exellent PC to Phone service, at low cost). It is extremely easy to setup, and works 'out of the box'.

The only problems I have had have been occasional signal quality degredation, and once a 'dropout'. I suspect this relates to the quality of the hotel's internet connection, which is sometimes 'patchy', plus the fact that I am pushing the bandwidth a little with a simultaneous video link via MSN Messenger. (grin) I am able to improve this by simply hanging up and reconnecting, sometimes several times. I always, ultimately, get my good connection back. Since the service is free, I don't see this (reconnection) as a problem. Interestingly, MSN Messenger's audio link will not work through the hotel's firewall. Skype has no problem.

I too was sceptical when I first read the website, but cannot speak highly enough of the product now.

Two qualifications:
Firstly, I have broadband both ends, although the authors claim it will work over 33.3 dialup. I have used it successfully with dialup at one end. Haven't tried it with both ends on dialup.
Secondly, it needs XP at both ends according to the website.

Good luck with it,

Snooze :ok: :ok: :ok:

PPRuNe Towers
18th Oct 2004, 18:31
Most of us trialling it at the moment here in the Middle East. Filthy signal quality where we are based and it is claimed call charges comprise 20% of GDP!

Impressions - pretty good computer to computer but so far a real struggle dialing computer to phone. No points scoring here but the built in system on my computer keeps 2 way video going but PC to phone is just about unusable on the same line. As with Snooze no problems with hotel firewalls despite it being set to stop file sharing services according to our cabin crew.

However, everyone wants to persevere until we get somewhere with decent lines. The dial out to regular phones side is brilliant for us long term travellers. Non computer literate family, friends and just day to day business calls would be brilliant in parts of the world where income from phone calls is a significant part of their GDP.

Developed by the guy who created kazaa so can we invent a phone number spyware rumour??:O

Tech note: On my operating system there is a glitch paying for computer to phone line credits. Something you might not like is having to accept 3rd party cookies for the non Skype payment server to process your payment. This happened across 4 different browsers. This is known to them and a chat window based assistance system will confirm this for you. Oh, and there's been a few more downloads in the intervening months - my log-in screen says 26 million plus.

Rob

drauk
18th Oct 2004, 20:26
As a piece of software I have found it to be very good, but as with any VoIP solution it is only as good as the network (and not just your connection to the Internet, but the entire pathway to your recipient).

They push it as VoIP that "just works" and on that basis it scores highly - I've used it on various devices on various types of network and it has never needed any tweaking. Computer to computer "calls" on a good network are better quality than a regular telephone.

SkypeOut, the service which allows you to terminate one end of the conversation at a regular phone has been a bit more variable. I've used it from Africa and Asia to call the UK and the US at about 1.1pence per minute - I'd not use it for a business call because you do sometimes get cut off, but for keeping up with friends and family it has proven to be very good.

sparkie
18th Oct 2004, 21:05
I agree with the other comments in this forum. I have been using Skype for a few weeks now and, no doubt about it, skype to skype is great, sound quality excellent most of the time, occasional time delay, but I only have a dial up modem so suspect any problems are at my end

I recently purchased a 10 Euro credit and tried a couple of dial up numbers ie friends in Australia and USA. Again the quality varied, and with the time delay on occasions the other party tends to get a wee bit agitated.

Overall I would say its great for the free calls ie skype to skype, but improvment is needed on the calls to landline numbers, especially when they have to be paid for ...albeit cheap rate.

'morse code-the emp beater'

Metro man
18th Oct 2004, 22:35
Have dial up at home and used Skype to call within Australia with acceptable results ,slight delay on the line. Called Philippines once again acceptable ,particularly as it was half the price of a regular phone call.

Difficulties calling UK for some reason ,resorted to regular phone instead.

To sum up definately worth trying ,see how it works for you on the sort of calls you make.

webby
22nd Oct 2004, 14:30
used Skype for Pocket PC on a Dell Axim X30 624Mhz, tried it within Singapore, excellent quality..both ends broadband.

will update when i fly to ICN and SFO.

FYI.

Ausatco
23rd Oct 2004, 07:25
Excellent Sydney Australia (from my PC) to Phoenix, AZ, USA (house phone).

Sydney to a Melbourne (Australia) housephone is clear, but there is quite a long delay which my elderly Mum found confusing.

Cannot get audio when calling my mobile. It rings and can connect, I get charged, but no voice either way:confused:

AA

Capt Snooze
24th Oct 2004, 04:38
Just an update since my first post.

Still using Skype, the the newer versions are even better on the sound quality. As others have noted, the quality of the call does degrade with the quality of the internet connection.

I mentioned Callserve in my first post as a solution to PC to Phone requirements. This has since ceased to function out of this hotel (like a lot of things :* ). iConnectHere successfully provides a similar service with the added advantage of the ability to use it as a 'calling card' from other phones, including public ones. This part of the service is not available in all countries, but works in the ones that I need, so I am yet to try the new Skype PC to Phone addition.

Has anyone had any success with the USB connected phones as opposed to the headset or speakers solution? They are claimed to improve voice quality even more.

Any input appreciated.

Snooze
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

BMM389EC
31st Oct 2004, 07:21
I've also bee using it-and it's worked well-when I can get credit on it! It always comes up refused/cancelled. Very irriatating.And I have no dodgy credit history!

PPRuNe Towers
26th Feb 2005, 12:21
Mike, wonderful bit of serendipity seeing this thread revived in the light of developments and updates in the Skype software.

Can't comment on the conference call facility yet but over broadband and laptop to laptop using a Logitech 2 usb headset I'm getting the most incredible clarity I've ever heard on any comms system. The entire Mac tribe making up our crew agree it is even better than the excellent operating system level chat program installed in all Apples.

PC to phone is also remarkably good with one caveat - as bandwidth goes down due to traffic/contention ratios or whatever Syke seems to hang onto the signal but a delay is introduced. Most folks cope but my experience is that the many on the other end of the line, especially the elderly, find the experience unpleasant and difficult.

Skype is obviously being constantly improved and developed. As far as I'm concerned, and as a permanent road warrior, it has become the comms utilty of choice.

Regards
Rob Lloyd

26th Feb 2005, 19:23
I've been using for close on 6 months now, desktop to laptop, broadband. Works really well. Can recommend it ayntime. :ok:

Metro man
27th Feb 2005, 08:32
Tried it last night Oz to UK, with a very good dial up connection (50k). Person at the other end didn't even notice any difference until told ! Nice clear line, slight delay. Adjust you style of speaking, ie pretend you are using radio and wait until the other party stops talking before you start and this minimises it.

At AU$0.03/min well worth it as once you have your internet connection, there are no hidden charges like with the prepaid calling cards, ever read the conditions on these ?

Jerricho
27th Feb 2005, 08:48
I'll just add another big thumbs up for it. Using it to call Brisbane from Winnipeg and the sound quality is excellent. And it's damn cheap.

Mo Heekan
28th Feb 2005, 18:42
Great service, just atrocious bill payment method. Skype accepted my visa card first time round but has rejected it evr since, even though the Bank here says transaction went through. Back to Callserve

Confused..........:confused:

PPRuNe Towers
28th Feb 2005, 21:25
Like many other I've had problems paying a top up. Finally used the PayPal option which is clearly labeled as beta and flags health warnings as you enter. However, it worked fined and credit is now healthy again.

Regards
Rob