PDA

View Full Version : Employment

Tosh McCaber
21st Dec 2003, 23:28
For discussion-

We keep hearing on these threads as to how the job market is picking up, and some contributers enthuse that things getting better all the time- But- it is taking one heck of a time to happen.

Does anyone really believe that, according to government sources, "air travel will grow by 100% over the next ten years"?

These claims are not bourne out by the statistics in PPJN, and the general anecdotes which contributers to Pprune are making. Things have fundamentally changed since 9/11 and the subsequent downturn- airlines, both those close to the borderline, of whom there are many, and the few profitable, have tightened their belts. For instance, on talking to someone in BMI the other day, it appears that they will not be recruiting for the foreseeable future- certainly not in the next year.

It really is not fair to have people spend many tens of thousands of pounds, on promises of instant employment by marketing departments in the schools, only to find that, two to three years on, they are still knocking their heads on walls, still trying to find employment. I'm not speaking personally, but I know of many ex-student friends who are in this position.

Why are there no formal statistics of how many people are on the job market, and how many are actually obtaining emploment, on a year on year basis? Surely, this is not rocket science, and could/ should be collated by either the CAA or BALPA.

Pilot Pete
22nd Dec 2003, 19:20
Just the ones I know of who have recruited this year or plan to next year, in no particular order;

EasyJet 'lots' and ongoing
Britannia 20+ and ongoing
Eastern 'several'
Flybe 'lots' and ongoing
Virgin Atlantic 'I know of a couple, but am sure there has been more'
Monarch '15 I know of plus more I believe'
Highland 'a few'
Loganair 'don't know how many, but they have definately been recruiting'
Ryanair 'lots and ongoing'
Thomas Cook 'I have heard are looking for up to 25 in early 2004'
bmi Baby 'ongoing, don't know numbers'
GB Airways 'again, don't know numbers but they have recruited'
Channex/ Jet2 'several and ongoing'
DHL '10+ low hours earlier this year, but they have lost loads and are still short'
Air Southwest 'several'

So that would seem to back up the fact that things HAVE picked up since Sept 11th 2001. I am sure those who are in the know could put figures on the ones I have mentioned above and perhaps add others to that list.

I am not saying that this is a huge bulge in recruitment that will see all Wannabes gainfully employed upon completetion of their training, far from it, but it is an indication that recruitment has picked up and will gather a bit more pace in 2004. A lot of the airlines mentioned above have not recruited since Sept 11th and now just cannot 'not' recruit any longer as they don't have enough pilots to fulfil their flying program.

The long term projection is for a huge increase in passenger numbers over the coming years which will inevitably lead to more pilot jobs as long as world events don't keep getting in the way. This will however take some years to filter down to the depths of Wannabe experience levels. Most carriers take a mix of experience which means that the large pool of Wannabes is dipped into, the main point being though that each individual has to do everything to give themselves a chance of being picked out, but failing that must concurrently be doing everything to climb the experience ladder in terms of hours and 'types' in order to get away from the 250hr 'hold pool'.

So IMHO things look much better now than they did 12 months ago, but as for the flying training organizations 'selling the dream', well it's the same with many products really; the salesman always points out the benefits but rarely the shortcomings. Entering into a transaction(s) where you are going to spend many, many thousands of pounds does require a little forethought and research and anyone who fails to do that and stills spends the money doesn't necessarily deserve what they get, but you get my drift don't you? This site is a good place to start to formulate an opinion about the industry for a Newbie.

So to continue the debate, anyone else able to add numbers/ airlines to the list I have started? That way we don't need the CAA or Balpa to formulate the figures, we could get an indication for ourselves.

Best of luck.

PP

Edited to add what I have just read in the Log;

300 for easyJet in the next 12-18 months
210 Emirates
100 China Airlines

and varying numbers from a few to 50;
Channex/ Jet 2
GB
My Travel (!)
Astreaus
Excel
B Med
European
Britannia

Many others are still to release planned numbers for 2004.

mesh
27th Dec 2003, 10:34
Im pissed, 03.18 at night. Only read the first part of this thread.....all I can say is I am 8 weeks through all this bull****...and I can't wait for the rest.....I whon't bore you about how nuch I earnt or how I don't know if I'm doing the right thing but I am, and only I know that! My parents are asleep next door wondering about their son Who had such a great career in media and told it to **** off! But....I went out with my mother shopping today and she met friends who we havent spoke to for years...he flew for 15 years. I spoke to him with my mum listening in and I think she got it! Simple as that......Anyway, Im going flying in 10 days time and when I awake at 07.00 and go for breakfast I might not fly but do you know one thing......I will fly and I will fly on and on of I'm given the chance.....and when I'm above the clouds on a brisc January morning I will look up, left and right and smile.......