PDA

View Full Version : Little grass strip somewhere in Shropshire

REvans
21st Dec 2003, 07:05
I wonder if any of you can help me identify a little grass strip somewhere along the A41 towards Chester. The strip seems to be parallel to the road but I've driven past it quite a few times and still cant manage to get the name of it.

Cheers,
RE

Spikeee
21st Dec 2003, 17:02
Looks like Waverton microlight strip

Spike

Ian_Wannabe
22nd Dec 2003, 00:38
Might be way off the mark, but it could be Turnhill - I pass that every time I head towards Shropshire from the Chester area and it runs directly parrallel with the road

Whipping Boy's SATCO
22nd Dec 2003, 01:40
Ternhill isn't a little grass strip, it's a fair size military airfield!!! However, if you were travelling North along the A41 and turned right onto the A53 at Ternhill roundabout towards Martket Drayton, after about 1/2 mile you would see a little grass strip on the left (just before the Muller Yoghurt factory). Looks nice and pretty and I have always wondered who owned it.

Regarding the strip on the A41 near Chester, I would agree that it may be Waverton but this isn't very close to the road. The only other airfield/strip I know of on the A41 is Tilstock (just South of Whitchurch) which is pretty obviously an ex-military airfield with the control tower and 2 hangars to the West of the A41 with the airstrip to the East.

REvans
22nd Dec 2003, 04:35
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. The one I mentioned in my first post would be on your right if heading north towards Chester, but Im sure that it is close to the road because I remember seeing a windsock a few aircraft and maybe a few hangars (although cant be sure of this). Ill look into all of the names listed all the same.

Thanks again

EDIT-Just put Tilstock into a seach engine - so thats what that square concrete building is! Also looked on a map and it does suggest that Waverton is the airfield I was curious about.

Rote 8
22nd Dec 2003, 17:11
The strip may be Peplow, which would be on the left heading North up the A41 somewhere between Newport and Market Drayton (near to Hodnet) and shortly before reaching Tilstock.

Tilstock was once a large wartime field that is now home to the Shropshire Skydiving Centre. The A41 bisects the old airfield with the strip used by the parachutists to the right of the road, but with the tower and some of the old hangars on the left hand side.

Ternhill is a fair size military airfield that is used as a satellite for the helicopters of the DHFS at nearby Shawbury and as Whipping Boy’s SATCO points out would not be the sort of place you would confuse for a grass strip.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
23rd Dec 2003, 01:05
Definitely not Peplow, I live there!!! I would stick with Waverton.

Negative 'G'
23rd Dec 2003, 03:18
Ah Waverton:eek: :rolleyes: :eek: Ahhhhhh WAVERTON !!!!!!!!!

Yes I do actually have Waverton in my log book but I'm quite sure that it will never be entered again !
Without looking at a chart/ road atlas etc.. I don't know if this is "your" field, but I'd be quite surprised if it was because when I "arrived" there several years ago(1995) that's exactly what it was........ a concave field full of 12"- 24" high grass with a rather large Oak (??) tree in the middle and we all know what concave fields hold in the middle don't we ? Oh and lets not forget the garden shed with the yellow 'C' on it...............hehe !

In fairness I think that its purely a Microlight strip as they where the only things I saw tucked away in a barn whilst there, things may have changed though in 8 years who knows ?

Hope this helps, Merry Xmas to all.

Neg G :D

WOW.......I've just had another 8yr memory flashback (2 in one day:D), I'm sure there was some kind of Surface to Air missile at Waverton pointing skyward just to deter you even more from attempting a landing/arrival !