PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I need to restroe my PC to its previous settings

aiglon
20th Dec 2003, 21:06
I seem to recall that there is an interrupt command that you can use when starting up your computer that will allow you to restore it to the state it was in up to 6 sessions ago. My son has just been using my computer to access the internet and has managed to download a gimmicky toolbar that I don't want and I cannot get rid of. I'm hoping that if I use this restore method, it will get rid of it.

Aiglon

flyingwysiwyg
20th Dec 2003, 22:25
Hi Aiglon,

What Operating System are you using?

For Windows XP Home or Pro it should be as simple as allowing the computer to boot up, and then going to Programs, Accessories, System Tools and then running System Restore.

Find the date (day before you let your son use it) and restore to this point.

If its Windows '98, you may have to go into Programs, Startup and find the offending toolbar application and delete it (unless it is part of Internet Explorer?)

If it is '98 or ME, it may be that you have a utility called System Snapshot which allows you to restore to a particular point, however my memory is a little hazy on that and I don't have a machine here running '98 or ME.

If it is part of IE then you should be able to switch it off from TOOLS and then INTERNET OPTIONS and then via the ADVANCED TAB? have a look for the offending toolbar and de select the check box. You may have to restart IE before it dissapears.

Hope this helps.

F - Wyg

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Dec 2003, 01:09
Aiglon,

If spybot does not do the trick, give:

Lavasoft's Ad-Aware (http://lavasoft.element5.com/software/adaware/)

a shot.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. If you have the name of the toolbar we could give further details on how to remove it.

aiglon
21st Dec 2003, 01:40
I'm using 98 SE. I've managed to get rid of the toolbar - found it eventually in the list in Remove Programs!

But I'm sure - just as a matter of interest - that there is a way in 98SE to restore the registry to a previous setting during the reboot. I've done it once before but that was with someone telling me what to do and now I've forgotten!

Aiglon