PDA

View Full Version : Chiefton / Naviajo Endoresment

The Counter
20th Dec 2003, 10:50
Can anyone offer suggestions where to get a PA-31 endoresment around Brisbane or surrounds for a reasonable price?

flying_phonebox
20th Dec 2003, 12:50
G'day,

Had a mate that did his at QAS on the sunshine coast or somewhere close. He didn't have to do the 2.5 hr minimum that most of these places con u into either! :)

cheers

Square Bear
20th Dec 2003, 17:09
It all depends on experience I quess but if you are upgrading from something smaller and they offer to do it in less than 2 - 2.5 hours tell them and flying phone box.....

"your *****ing dreaming".

If you don't already fly a cabin class twin or better, find a company that gives good a very good ground briefing (several hours) , two separate sorties for the endorsement and can offer some ICUS to consolidate (bargain for free ICUS, you will probably get it).

Those that offer a quick and cheepie endorsement are setting you up for what happened at LAUNY many years ago.

The cheap quickie endorsement is the quickest way to leave aviation......IN A BOX.

Set the standard and all the best.

Transition Layer
20th Dec 2003, 17:48
My thoughts exactly Square Bear...

I did my Navajo endorsement with very little in the way of multi time, and with only two other endorsements to my name (BE76, PN68).

The endorsement itself was done in a bit less than 2.5hrs but was followed up immediately by about 7 or 8 hrs ICUS on real charter runs. I know I would have felt extremely underdone and uncomfortable with the aircraft had it simply be left at the bare endorsement.

Cheers,
TL

The Counter
20th Dec 2003, 21:14
Thanks guys for your input and sorry about the spelling mistakes.

I've heard of a mob in Tamworth that does both the endorsement and then some ICUS on a freight run, they want $650.00/hr for the endorsement only the ICUS is thrown in.

What do you think of the price ???

Square Bear
21st Dec 2003, 14:59
The Counter

Sorry but I can't really offer any advice regards the current pricing of Navajo Training or even the charter rate.

I do seem to recall that around 8 years ago it was in the area of $400 - 500 an hour.

Don't forget to consider the cost of any ground school involved as that can be 5 or 6 + hours... but maybe the company you have in mind have just included that in the hourly rate of the aircraft training.

Having said all that and unless you have a fair amount of expience or fly similiar size aircraft I would wonder why you would want to pay for the endorsement. I would think that there would be very few operators who would rent you one (if they did it would be a pretty extensive check ride) and most companies operating these aircraft would have own check and training, meaning that if you worked for them you would eventually get it for free. :D

Anyway that's your business, I only offer that as my two cents worth.

If you go ahead with it make sure you get the ICUS to consolidate as a bare logbook endorsement won't mean much.

Good luck

0tter1
21st Dec 2003, 15:42
From memory doesnt FTA at archerfield have a Cheiftain?? VH-FUI? Did my endorsement in the a/c but not with FTA. Was a few years ago... Or possibly try Sunland Aviation, they might be able to cross hire one for you.(FUI) shh dont tell, dont think they like having it used for endorsements,
Good Luck :D

High Altitude
22nd Dec 2003, 05:36
$650 ph + ICUS thrown in CHEAP take it...

Jamair
22nd Dec 2003, 08:13
Qld Av Services @ CDR do PA-31 endos in a Navajo (ZJZ) 07 5492 7040; last time I looked it was $700/hr dual. The aeroplane is available for hire as well (note- in any PA-31 no crew door or no Air Con means you will lose approx 1/2 your body weight in sweat during the course of any flight). Time taken will depend on ability which will mostly depend on your total multi-time. Ground school is included, extensive engineering and systems paper.

FTA does have a Chieftain but don't do private hire or endos outside the company.

I think Johnsons at Port Mac do PA-31 + ICUS.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a PA-31 unless you've got a job lined up or can hire one to get actual command hours - ICUS don't mean much to most operators or (more importantly) to their insurers.

Navies are getting old but well-kept ones are still nice aeroplanes - handle well and reasonably roomy. Systems are not too complex and OEI ops are not too hard.

0tter1
22nd Dec 2003, 12:57
I agree with jamair, if you are simply after the sticker in the book and another type on the resume then go ahead. Besides if you were to score a job with a company operating a PA31 then they would do sufficient in house training(ICUS) before they let you loose in the sky. Would also recommend QAS.
Good luck

rmcdonal
22nd Dec 2003, 18:23
I know the crew in Tamworth, well worth it. Not only well you get the endorsment, but the ICUS time realy is on a freight run, It well take you in and out of Tamworth, Armidale, and then Inverell twic a day. And in winter you can expect an approach into Armidale EVERY day.

Harry_Porter
22nd Dec 2003, 19:49
Hey guys, Dont want to hijack the thread. But does anyone know a place to do an Islander endo in queensland?? Just after type rating, dont require any follow up training..
Thanks
Oh yeah would recommend Johnson at Port Mac

drshmoo
23rd Dec 2003, 12:58
Did mine at Johnsons at YPMQ in March 03 and it was 2.3 dual at $566.50/hour. They were very good. Try to get endorsement paper done B4 you get there to save time also. Transtion Layer on the cash, ICUS runs on real charters are crucial to being confortable with the aircraft.

Pinky the pilot
23rd Dec 2003, 16:20
Ohmigawd!!! Someone actually wants to do a Bongo endorsement and just for the type rating?????:confused:
With all due respect Sir; You are suffering from something terrible. I recommend copious intake of amber fluid in the company of any experienced Bongo drivers, preferably ex PNG based.:ok: :E

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

scramjet
23rd Dec 2003, 16:30
In Cairns try Cape York Airlines 07 4035 9399 or Aero Tropic's on 07 4035 9138

solowflyer
31st Dec 2003, 08:56
Forgive my ignorance but what does ICUS mean?

G11
31st Dec 2003, 09:30
In Command Under Supervision

Mainly used in Australia for the purpose of training Pilots on specific aircraft types after a type endorsement. i.e a IFR charter flight can not be conducted unless the PIC has 10hrs on type so ICUS can assist in building these hours and learning the finer points of operation from a type experianced Pilot, who does not have to be an instructor.

G