PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Europe

uwochris
20th Dec 2003, 02:25
Hey guys,

Here's the deal- I am 22 years old currently living in Canada. I am just finishing up my degree and my flight training right now, and will be done everything in the next 4 months or so.

I am curious as to what is needed to fly in Europe? Will having a EU passport do the job? Or, do you need some form of residency?

I would like to apply for my European Union Passport (I am assuming having this will allow me to look for work anywhere in the EU, along with the converted JAA licenses). My mother was born in Holland, and I currently have family in: England, Holland, Switzerland, and France.

How can I go about applying for my EU Passport? Is it a tough thing to get? Can my mother or her family sponsor me?

I hope somebody can help answer my questions. I would love to have my EU passport, but don't know how to go about applying for it (or even if my mom can sponsor me). Also, I wonder if having the passport alone will allow me to apply to some of the cadet programs throughout Europe... or could I convert to JAA and apply to some airlines?

Thanks in advance and enjoy the holidays!

coolguy
22nd Dec 2003, 18:34
Ge the required Hrs in Canada and then start converting the License. IF Ur mom is Dutch then u can get a EU passport, first u have to get the Dutch passport . ( Not too Sure Bro)

Anyway these days ti get a Job in EU ( or in UK) a JAA license and a a EU residency is important.

Good Luck .

scroggs
22nd Dec 2003, 18:44
I don't think anyone can get an 'EU passport' as such - you need to get a passport from one EU country. I would contact the embassies or high commissions of the EU countries you believe you may be qualified for nationality of, starting with the Dutch. They will be able to advise you further of your chances. You may find that different nations (the EU is not a nation!) have different policies about who may be qualified for nationality.

If you have a Canadian ATPL, I think it's very unlikely that you would be eligible for any kind of cadetship in any country. To convert your Canadian ATPL to a JAA ATPL is expensive, but achievable - and essential if you wish to work in the EU, as is the right of abode which your EU nation's passport would give you.

Once you have the passport and the licences, you would be free to apply to any EU or JAA (not the same) airline.

Scroggs