PDA

View Full Version : On the shortlist - so what now?

The mother alligator
19th Dec 2003, 20:38
I attended OASC about three weeks ago, and last week received a letter informing me that I have been shortlisted for a pilot bursary. I was just wondering what the chances are of actually getting it now. I know that this is a good thing after reading Tim's wedsite, but I did tell them that I would be prepared to leave university to go DE if they offered it. I have a nagging feeling that I am not going to be considered for the bursary, and that they are just going to chuck me in DE - not that I would mind, just that I'd rather get the bursary. Am I being too confident already?
Finally, it has taken me a lot of hard work to get this far, including research on these forums. I would like thank anyone who has given me any help at any time over the last two years (having being unsuccessful first time). I know you all get bored of the same questions, but, it does help.
Cheers guys, any information would be greatly appreciated in advance.
TMA

Slow-Rider
19th Dec 2003, 22:05
First of all well done for getting through the fun and games of OASC!

As far as i could tell from when I went though it's impossible to say what your chances are at this point because it comes down to your scores, the slots, competition (as ever!) and the opinions of the boarding officers.

I would hazard a guess and say you wont be offered DE. Firstly you are already a student and as such it doesn't make a great deal of sense in inticing you to leave university when the RAF is more than happy to pay you to continue going there.

Secondly, the only time when they would do that in my opinion is if they are really despare to recruit suitable candidates.
I know that during the summer OASC had 22 places for DE with over 4000 applicants and some strong candidates were turned away, so clearly it doesn't look like they need to pilfer from the bursary to get suitable candidates.

As I said that is all just my take on it but in my opinion you should not worry too much about being offered DE over a bursary.

Well done with getting this far and best of luck in the sift!Patience is a virtue! ;)

Big Cheese1
20th Dec 2003, 21:59
Slow Rider,

Out of curiosity, how many slots do they have for weapon Systems Officer in a year, and approxiamtely how many apply?

Good luck mother alligator!!

Slow-Rider
21st Dec 2003, 00:54
I'm afraid I don't know. What may be an indication though is that this time last year OASC said they were not sponsoring new WSO's which suggests to me that there are fewer slots.

I should point out that 22 slots for pilot is by no means the total number of slots that was just how many were left at that point.

Hope that helps.

Yeller_Gait
21st Dec 2003, 05:28
On a similar note, how many WSO (AEO) are the RAF looking for in the near future? Perhaps this number may give an indication of RAF thinking with regard to Nimrod MRA4, given that the only commissioning opportunities for AEOp's will see them go straight to Kinloss, do not pass go, collect your £200 etc.

Is it right that the RAF can stipulate that you can only be posted to one location on commissioning? Whatever happened to the "You are commissioned and an officer first, aircrew second" stuff?

Almost makes me want to apply for a commission, just to try the system :yuk:

Dimensional
22nd Dec 2003, 23:50
I went on the shortlist for a GD(P) bursary and 6th form schol and got it ... in fact, I'm about half way to first solo on das Teutor now. :)

It's not all bad news, and the UAS is a great place to be.

Tonkenna
23rd Dec 2003, 15:52
Yeller_Gait,

Yes, as an officer you are that first, but of course if you are an AEO I am sure that the chances are you will spend the majority of your time at Kinloss. Not everyones fav place I know, but there are plenty of people who like the stability. I have seen AEOs in lots of other places to, so the opportunities are there if you want them. Pays better anyway:ok:

The mother alligator
24th Dec 2003, 23:54
To be honest I didn't really think that it was bad news at all, and I assume that they have not said yes to anybody yet, and that they are waiting to see the rest of the candidates. I was just wondering really how many they shortlist to the amount of places available.