PDA

View Full Version : Which way do you prefer it?

bugdevheli
19th Dec 2003, 06:47
Your tail rotor that is. Do you prefer it with the blade sweeping up into the main rotor downwash, or do you like it going the other way. Which way and why?

Jcooper
19th Dec 2003, 10:14
Actually in the safety course they say they knew about it before the r22 but realized the gearbox would weigh more to have the blade go into the downwash...that would nix anything on the r22

Spaced
19th Dec 2003, 13:23
As far as Im aware having the advancing blade of the TR sweeeping up into the down wash of the MR is the best way to go.
The reason is that when hot/high especially you can get a bit more out of the TR, delaying/preventing the onset of LTE.

Shawn Coyle
19th Dec 2003, 22:18
This was the subject of research in the 60's and the answer was 'top turning aft' is the best direction of rotation for the tail rotor.
Why the Lynx started off with it going the other way 'round is a question I've never had satisfactorily answered.

Dantruck
20th Dec 2003, 01:24
Give me 'top turning aft' anyday.

Superior tail rotor authority awaits.

Dan

Hilico
20th Dec 2003, 02:42
Many years ago in Pilot Magazine, I think it must have been Mike Dible who noted on one a/c the top blade going forward; 'excellent feature if you ground the TR to have the pieces going away from the cabin.'

Personally I'd rather keep the TR away from terra firma and settle for the layout that gives the most authority.

sycamore
20th Dec 2003, 03:03
Shawn, you really must get out a bit!!Thinking laterally , so to speak, who makes the Lynx??? Answer?---Youv`e got it!!!

But, should it be a pusher, or a puller??