PDA

View Full Version : A Question for the Avionics guys.

Random Electron
19th Dec 2003, 00:40
Due to the epidemic proliferation of speed cameras on UK roads, I was thinking of buying a radar detector.

Perusing the many web sites devoted to selling these units I am now completely baffled.

Have any of the avionics guys or gals made a study of what is available?

If so, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

STC
19th Dec 2003, 01:49
Suggestions? Slow down. Obey the speed limit.

And what makes you think "avionics guys" would neccessarily be experts in the field of radar detectors?

Random Electron
19th Dec 2003, 04:08
Er, well Officer, I think they would know more than I would.

GIANNI
24th Dec 2003, 00:28
Avionic men usually earn more ,hence faster cars ,hence more need for radar detectors !!!!!!!:ok:

24th Dec 2003, 01:27
R.E
About 8 months ago, I purchased a BEL Euro 550 radar detector. It's not cheap (approx £300), but it has fantastic reception. It will pick up speed cameras on motorways about 3/4 of a mile away, and I've not had any false alarms from it.
For the record, I don't speed on minor roads, A or B roads, but I do sometimes exceed the limit on motorways, (as do a fair % of the driving population if they are honest).

avoman
24th Dec 2003, 02:27
I am delighted with my Blackspot Road Angel. That is one of the GPS based devices. Halfords price is £399 but it is possible to get it for about £320.
Updating the database takes seconds even on a slow internet connection.
Obviously it never misses a speed trap it knows about.
I also have a Fireblade motorcycle. I did not buy that to ride slowly.
I adapted the Road Angel to use on the bike too. See my website www.coolbiker.co.uk
Does the additional laser detector work? I have not been gunned for a long time so I cannot tell you.
The best part is being able to relax about cameras and attend to driving. Now there is two of us looking out for me! Indispensable.

Random Electron
29th Dec 2003, 03:16
Thanks 419, and Avoman, you have given me somewhere to start!