PDA

View Full Version : Anyone flown in Las Vegas?

gijoe
18th Dec 2003, 23:10
I'm lucky enough to be off to Las Vegas in the New Year for a spot of work and fancy a bit of aviating whilst out there.

I'm not looking to get a Temporary Airman cert etc but purely at rocking up at an airfield, climbing in with an instructor and going around Nevada for an hour with said instructor doing the radios and being P1, and me flying.

Anyone got any contacts or advice?

G

david viewing
18th Dec 2003, 23:46
Try Westair aviation at North Las Vegas. Contact is John Guiles. They are used to UK PPL's and even have a S England chart pinned to the wall to make you feel at home! They have a good fleet with some 172 SP's. http://www.westairaviation.com/

PhilD
19th Dec 2003, 01:04
I'd support that recommendation - I flew with Westair at VGT in October, and they are a friendly and helpful bunch with good availability and some nice planes - especially the new 172s.

Onan the Clumsy
19th Dec 2003, 02:08
When you have some down time, rent a car and go and look at Red Rocks :ok: It's a twenty mile scenic drive to the north.

gijoe
19th Dec 2003, 05:20
All - thanks for your replies.

I already planned to get in the car and head north to the ski mountain...after a trip in a 172 that is.

Cheers

G

BigEndBob
19th Dec 2003, 05:50
Flew Westair last year. Also try Boulder City, about 40 min out of Vegas.
Don't stop in Vegas, fly out to Grand Canyon and Death Valley.
You can't go all that way and not see these great places (from the air).
If you have more time fly out to Monumont valley, Bryce or Lake Powell.
You start to realise how BIG America is.

cgjog182
19th Dec 2003, 22:17
If you're a golfer, drive out to St. George, Utah. About an hour forty-five. I know, I know, but it's a lovely trip. Check into the airport there and rent in the morning. You're close to Zion Nat'l Park. Then, play golf at Entrada at Snow Canyon. The most beautiful public course I've ever seen. Forty bucks includes the cart.

Vegas is fun for a very short time. Golf is expensive and not all that good.

Have a nice time.

Fred

cirrus01
20th Dec 2003, 04:13
Did exactly that, earlier this year............

Pitched up at " First Flight Aviation " North Las Vegas.... 1 hour 20 in a 172 just under 100 bucks plus instructer fee. Good outfit with friendly staff . It will probably pay to plan spending at least 2-3 hours , so that you could fly out to somewhere like Lake Havasu .

:ok: