PDA

View Full Version : Premature Voluntary Release

sarboy w****r
18th Dec 2003, 17:39
Chaps,

Here are a couple of questions for which I would appreciate some genuine answers. What is:

a) Amortization cost of promotion to Sqn Ldr?
b) Amortization cost of 2nd OCU?
c) Means of leaving RAF before amortization period of first OCU is complete?

I am faced with all 3 over next year or two, and have some extremely difficult decisions to make in a very short period of time.

I am particularly interested in answer to (c) - has a precedent been set for those wanting to leave before amortization period has been completed, and what is the average time from request to PVR to exit? What if one has job offers outside the Service already?

I would be extremely grateful for any advice or information, either on this message board, or by PM for those not wishing to air their dirty linen/experiences in public. Advice from those that have faced similar situation particularly welcomed.

Thanks,

SBW

detgnome
18th Dec 2003, 21:34
OCU is normally 3 years; not sure on promotion, but if you want the pension then you have to do 3 years in the rank.

bigley
19th Dec 2003, 00:54
Not quite true detnome, you have to do 3 years if you are acting and only 2 if substantive. As for 2nd OCF/U, it is up to PMA if and when they release you. Have heard of an on going case where PMA will accept only 6 months post OCU, Service needs dependant of course.

Mmmmnice
19th Dec 2003, 04:38
SBW - 'fraid I can't help with your tricky decision, but I have to ask: have you always been a SBW, or did you once have proper job? All my linen is dirty, so it's a bit difficult to know what to wash first!!

sarboy w****r
19th Dec 2003, 16:13
Sorry mate, have never had a proper job. Am learning that agreements (do this crap post and we'll let you do this other post when you finish), don't seem to be honoured, but am instead offered "how about this completely sh*te 180 degree career change instead, with no possibility of ever going on to do what you have asked to and been highly recommended to go on to?". Talk about an Officer's word being his bond and all that!

Bah humbug,

SBW

Unmissable
19th Dec 2003, 21:24
If you ever get a promise from BINNSWORTH, try e-mailing postings officer something like this:

'We agreed on the telephone that following this SH**e job I am being sent to, I will be sent to Florida on an exchange posting"

Your e-mail HAS to be placed on your file and therfore is fact. .....They keep a record of your conversation on file so why shouldn't you....... I tried something similar once and had a phone call within half an hour trying to wriggle out of what he said. This was later backed up with a reply e-mail (on file again) setting straight the converstation for the archives.

:E

Pontius Navigator
20th Dec 2003, 02:46
SARBoy,

I think it is 12-18 months but why not ring PMA. If you want to keep your head down get a mate to do it.

My Desk Officer once promised that I would complete my tour when my post was dis-established. It was my one and old tour where I have lived near where I worked.

He was posted.

The new DO posted me within 4 weeks, or rather he tried. My boss backed me up and the original DO was still there although he had been promoted. Was my DO pissed off.

He then put together 8 months of courses to get me off the dis-established post and to Finningley. My 'new' posting came in 4 months early. Boss called me in, did I want to hold them to the original promise. I was tempted but did not want to risk getting Victors. OK, so I may have missed VC10 and Oxfordshire but I still have a job 17 years later in the same house to boot.

sarboy w****r
20th Dec 2003, 21:18
Thank you all for the advice, and to all that have sent PMs. I think I have what I need.

Unmissable, I am not looking for anything as glamourous as an exchange to Florida, just simply fighting for a posting to a helicopter base near Basingstoke...

Cheers,

SBW