PDA

View Full Version : MS FS2004 Help Please

Captain Airclues
18th Dec 2003, 05:27
Having just bought a new computer I thought that I would enter the world of virtual aviation, so bought MS Flight Sim 2004. Having just loaded it I have a problem. When I try to fly, the upper half of the screen has the scenery but the ower half is black. When I move the mouse over the black bit, boxes appear with the names of flight instruments. By pressing some of the buttons on the joystick I can change to something called 'Virtual Cockpit', but I feel that the previous screen must be incorrect. Have I done something wrong in the loading? Is it a duff CD set or is my new computer a fault?
Please keep the answers simple. I've got one or two hours on the real thing, but this virtual flying confuses me.

Many Thanks

Airclues

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Dec 2003, 07:11
Airclues,

It is hard to guess without any details about the computer. Depending on the company that built the computer, they may or may not have loaded the drivers you need to play the game properly.

If you could provide us with either the specs on the hardware inside the computer or the make and model so we can look up the specs would really help.

I would start by getting you the latest drivers for your motherboard, video card and sound card. That should solve your issues.

Please include the operating system you are running when you reply.

Take Care,

Richard

Captain Airclues
18th Dec 2003, 16:24
Richard

Many thanks for your help

The computer is;

hp pavilion 1370.uk
3Ghz
1 GB DDR
200GB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600
Windows XP Home Edition
MS Sidewinder Precision Pro Joystick

When I press the top left button on the joystick the screen changes to 'Virtual Cockpit' and it works fine, but the initial screen has the black half. I bought the software in the US but the computer in the UK. Do you think that it is the computer or the software? Is it possible to re-load the software or do I have to uninstall it first? This is the first software that I have loaded onto this computer.

Airclues

shack
18th Dec 2003, 16:33
I had the same problem as you andwas using the same graphics card. If you download the latest Nvidia Detonator driver it should solve your problem.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Dec 2003, 22:58
Airclues,

I would start with nVidia ForceWare WinXP 53.03 Drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_53.03). That should solve the Graphics issue. If not, then we will look at the Motherboard Drivers.

Is it the 1370.uk or the t370.uk?

If it is the t370.uk then your motherboard is the ASUS P4SD-LA with the onboard Realtek ALC650 AC97 Sound. (We can get you the latest drivers for them too should you need.)

Take Care,

Richard

Captain Airclues
19th Dec 2003, 03:43
Richard

Yes it's the t370.uk (really should wear my glasses!)

I downloaded that file but no luck. Do I need to do anything once I have downloaded it, or does it install automatically?

Thanks for your help.

Airclues

Naples Air Center, Inc.
19th Dec 2003, 05:34
Airclues,

You need to install the file after you download it. (Double Click on the file and it will go to a setup menu.)

Take Care,

Richard

Captain Airclues
28th Dec 2003, 18:55
Richard

Sorry for taking so long to reply but I didn't think that the Flt Ops Director would accept "Trying to sort out FS2004" as a valid reason to miss my trip.

I have managed to indstall the driver, and all is now working perfectly. Many thanks for your help.

I hope that you have a happy and successful 2004.

Best Wishes

Airclues

Naples Air Center, Inc.
29th Dec 2003, 02:54
Airclues,

That is great news! Enjoy the Eye Candy from FS2k4. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. It does not matter how long it takes to reply, all that matters is that we solve the problem.