PDA

View Full Version : Aircrew Max All Up Weight Limits

Runaway Gun
18th Dec 2003, 05:18
Who ate all the pies ?

During an annual aircrew medical I was advised by the clever Medic that I was 'a bit too overweight'.

Holding back the aggressive stance considering that the said medical expert had a barge-ass and drank like a vicar, I had an argument that went something along the lines of 'those who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones'.

Has anyone else had any unfair dealings with military doctors and nurses?

Just how big are aircrew nowadays? Surely it's something hereditary... :p

http://www.heathenworld.com/elvis/elvis1.jpg

small_dog
19th Dec 2003, 02:07
I had to lose 9kg to have my medical category changed from temporarily unfit to fit for aircrew. I did grumble a fair bit about it (to myself I add) as I could run the mile and a half in 10mins 30 secs thus I thought I was in shape and had a good level of fitness. But I did crack on and lose weight through dieting (cutting out alcohol, chocolate, sweets, pizza and take aways and actually following a sensible diet plan in a woman's magazine) and taking lots of exercise. I managed to shift the 9kg in two weeks and have now lost a further 2 kg. The result is that I'm now classed as fit for aircrew, I finally have a physique I'm proud of and none of my clothes fit (which is a real p1sser). My point is that initially, I was incensed about having to lose the weight as I thought I was perfectly normal (if a little big boned) but now, having lost the weight, I can see just how fat I was and also how much I was kidding myself before ("they don't take into account muscle weighs more than fat" "I've got big bones" etc etc). However much I wanted it to happen, I knew the medics were not going to turn around and admit they were being overly strict, so I just got my head down and "played the game". A book called "eating for England" has helped me eat sensibly and realistically since I've stopped the diet, and I manage to enjoy the odd stella or four occasionally without putting the weight back on.

Yeller_Gait
19th Dec 2003, 06:47
It does seem strange that some people are picked up for being slightly overweight, downgraded etc, while other fat b*****ds get away with being overweight for years. Perhaps it is because of the rate of weight gain, rather than weight alone, that causes the docs to upset you?

And on a similar point, why do the various in-flight catering establishments around the world always supply high-cal, high-fat foods? Is it because that's what the crews want, or is it because they are cheaper to produce/buy? Now let me think about that ....

Having said that, 10/10 to Wadd in-flight for the menu/food they produce, even if the crisps are cheap and full of fat. Anyone remember Bensons crisps at ISK?

Mach the Knife
19th Dec 2003, 19:46
From a racing snake point of view........ I really don't see a snag with fat blokes flying as long as they are capable of lasting the distance and don't get all tired and puffed out and can't fly the third ACT sortie of the day. However, it is an issue as I now fly an aircraft with a zero/zero seat where, regardless of the command ejection selection, If I in the front seat pull the handle, matey boy in the back goes out too. Now if you have Lardass in the back the seat becomes a zero/30 or whatever to compensate for the extra pies on board. I don't want to reduce the envelope of my seat to a lower limit. The answer........ Send the porkers single seat or crew the big fellers together!

Pindi
24th Dec 2003, 19:11
Years ago, when USAF's SAC was operating the B.36 (which had an endurance of weeks !) an article appeared in the SAC flight safety magazine on this subject. Its theme was that the young,
slim, super-fit co-pilots, many of whom had been pulled out of fighter seats, were often hopeless candidates because they became restless after a few hours. In contrast, the old lags, well-seasoned, overweight and contented, whose only exercise was lifting their drinking arm, were quite happy to sit there for hours on end without getting bored or feeling the urge for strenuous exercise. Does anyone remember this ?

RRAAMJET
25th Dec 2003, 03:16
SmallDog : "...sensible diet plan in a women's magazine...":suspect:

Don't forget to cut down on the "pickles and ice-cream", and get plenty of calcium for when you start breast feeding the Nav.;)

Did you save the article on the "streamlined applicators - what's best for your shape"?:E

There's a good chap.

(Actually, v. well done on the weight loss, matey, whatever works...):ok:

L J R
29th Dec 2003, 06:48
Runaway Gun,

Even though you didn't like the Doc's comment - At least he made it.

If it was news to you that you may be overwight, maybe you should have a think about you health.

Don't get me wrong here, I am first to admit I may be unhealthy, drink too much and need to jog a little more, BUT, if someone in the medical profession told me that I was 'a little........anything' and it was not already known to me, I would take note.

I recommend you take note of any medical advice on your health, as often it is the early signs that show a problem that could develop later.

Besides, he is only doing his job, and like us, he has limits that have to be adhered to.

Don't forget to add a few knots to that rotate speed and take note of the effect of C of G. For hints on % MAC, consult the R to S.

Impiger
29th Dec 2003, 15:32
Imagine the scene:

Six foot 4 bloke built like a No 8 and reasonably fit and active is told to lose 2 stones (about 12.5 Kg in new money) by Doc at annual medical. Our gallant aviator hasn't been that weight since he was 18 but makes the effort (no chip butties, beer, pies or curries for a couple of months).

After strict dieting regime has lost almost a stone but is still 'overweight' at the next weigh-in and grumpily grabs the chart from the Doc. Within seconds realises that the chart stops at 6 foot 2 inches and is clearly labelled 'WOMEN'. We didn't have female aviators at the time.

'So let me get this straight I was 2 stone overweight for a woman 2 inches shorter than me?'

Oops.

Any other aircrew medical howlers out there?:*

Runaway Gun
29th Dec 2003, 15:33
Thanks for the comments and laughs.

However I do think that these guys are sometimes fairly extreme, and don't take common sense into the 'equation'.

At 183cm height and 85kg, I was told that I was in the Overweight section of the BMI chart. I was also questioned about my 9kg weight gain in the last 12 months, and I told them that it was due to weight training in the gym. It was obviously not fat.

(That's 6ft and 186lbs for the Imperial Forces amongst us)

I later found out that most of the PTI's who did lots of body building were classed as Obese. Yet they often had next to no body fat.

None of the doctors and nurses seemed anywhere near as fit :hmm:

Fox3snapshot
3rd Jan 2004, 23:46
Geez Runaway, I saw ya throwing away those pints in WA, The South Island and the North Island...and my reliable intel has confirmed similar in your new abode.

I figure as you are not much if any younger than me (and of course basing this on my own current constitution) your gotta be hav'n the same problem all us olda fellah's do.....

RUNAWAY TUMMIES !

:E

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE, ITS GOOD TO BE BACK!

:ok:

Naafi VanDriver
9th Jan 2004, 07:43
I just put it down to being under height for my weight. :ok: