PDA

View Full Version : Where should I do my PPL/CPL training?

JetSetJim
18th Dec 2003, 02:52
I've recently made the decision to fund my own PPL & CPL training, whatever it takes. My dilemma is where best to do it (UK, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa or the USA) as I'm constantly hearing different arguments for each.

The financial side of things is obviously important, but equally I'm concerned about the quality of training and how easily the licences in each of these places can be converted to a UK licence.

Any positive/negative experiences would be most appreciated.

JetSetJim

FLYbyWIT
18th Dec 2003, 04:48
Do what your more comfortable with, I am guessing your living in London and want to be eligible to apply for european based airlines. I would suggest to do initial training i.e PPL and hour building in the states and do your cpl/meir + atpl's in the UK, and this has been made achievable by certain UK schools who have affiliations with places in the US or just pick a JAA approved school in the states. I dont know if your financial situation limits you to what you can do in the UK but If you have the cash definately choose the UK for cpl/meir stages.
And before we start getting into "what schools best" quality wise the vast majority are excellent just visit them and see for yourself and talk to the students. I have been to alot of the well advertised schools and generally students have raving reports but these students had various expectations and chose what suited them best.

coolguy
18th Dec 2003, 19:53
Check ur PMs . agree with Fly by WIT , do it in UK and US , never in NZ , there training is good but not a good place for overseas students too much time consuming because of the 100 s of local Loan students , wasting time , Good Luck

FlyingForFun
18th Dec 2003, 20:07
Which country (countries?) do you have the right to live and work in?

No point going to Australia and getting an Oz license if you don't have the right to work there, for example.

FFF
-------------

gabu
19th Dec 2003, 00:20
Considering the state of the dollar at the moment the us is the best bet for utilising your hard earned reddies.

South Africa was good for me last year but the 38% increase in the value of the Rand now makes this prohibitive.

I do not necessarily agree with the chap before hand suggesting that UK teained peorson are necessarilary better.

The CPL module is essentially a glorified extended PPL test to set to stricter limits.

The real test of your competence is the instrument rating...

Think about this for a moment all you gents and chapesess who disagree. At the end of the day to get a JAA IR you are going to have a nice JAA gentlemen sitting next to you and he wants to see you to fly in IR conditions to a certain standard, if you do you pass if you do not then you fail.

He's approved by the UK CAA authority he does not care whether you've flight training in timbuktu or out of heathrow at 6am in the morning, with the latter I'm sure he be impressed if you told him.

If he's happy then you pass.

I know, I know there are those whingers who say yeh yeh but airlines look in favour of those who've been fully trained in the UK.

Well considering the job market, from my perspective and the people I've met, I believe airlines are more interested in what you've achieved after you've got your CPL/IR etc. Namely your post experience, how you've achieved the 700+ hours to achieve the actual interview your actually sitting in, namely what type of operations you've been involved in.

And yes the major key factor to that elusive airline job if thats what you want, is you as a person. Are you going to fit in with the company, do they think you'll fit in withe rest of the team. Its the same with any job.

Think cost if you have to, and quality of training to get you to the standard where you know you want to be.

Saying that if you could afford to do all in the UK, do it as its the best country in the world, and i've been to a few. Others may disagree but hey there all foriegners what do they know....

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year every one

:ok:

coolguy
19th Dec 2003, 16:44
whole heartedly agree with gabu, if U have a right to live and work in EU then JAA is the best , yes UK experience is the best a Pilot can get , its not the weather it is mainly because of the Old british repuation still exists in the world,

but when its come to the cost , training in Uk is only dream for most of usm but Like I mentioned , it all depends where U want to work and whther U have a right to work.

Good Luck and Merry X Mass

JetSetJim
23rd Dec 2003, 05:30
Thanks for the sound advice and PMs. Looks like the UK will be the way to go for my PPL, while I'm saving the pennies for the CPL.

I guess my next question is whether anyone's got any bright ideas on how to build up hours?