PDA

View Full Version : Valid Single Pilot ME-IR needed for MPA type rating?

SpiralDive
17th Dec 2003, 23:53
JAR FCL 1.250 a) and Lasors F4.1 states under the heading 'Prerequisite
conditions for training' that

An applicant for the first type rating for a multi- pilot aeroplane type shall
have a valid multi-engine Instrument Rating (Aeroplanes)

Given the following hypothetical situation, what is your interpretation of the above, and does anybody have direct experience which could shed some light on my confusion?

I have recently been hired by an airline and scheduled to begin a type rating
course on February 10. I currently hold a CPL (frozen ATPL with 220 hrs total
time) with a valid single pilot multi-engine IR which lapses on February 12. My
question is:

Should I revalidate my single pilot IR before commencing training, ie. do i only
need to have a current IR when commencing training, or do I need to have a
current IR when training is complete (6 weeks later) and I am applying to have
the type endorsed on my licence.

Thanks for any insight!

Say again s l o w l y
18th Dec 2003, 00:20
When I got my first MPA type, my ME IR had lapsed. So it doesn't seem to be an issue. I would check with the airline if you are really worried about it, but I doubt they'd give a monkey's.

SpiralDive
18th Dec 2003, 02:59
Excellent, thanks for that. I would check with my airline but of course its all hypothetical ;)

askyoda
18th Dec 2003, 17:03
Strange! Out of interest I asked the same question of the CAA and they responded that that you will need to revalidate your single pilot IR before you commence the training. Anybody else complete an initial type rating with a lapsed single pilot ME-IR? I would have thought that the type rating gives you a new multi-pilot ME-IR therefore the single pilot one would be unnecessary.

Say again s l o w l y
18th Dec 2003, 21:35
Hmm that is odd, my IR had lapsed about a year before and there were no queries about the putting the type and IR for it on my licence.

Another case of the CAA doing daft things? Surely not!

Miles Magister
21st Dec 2003, 18:39
My understanding is that as the LST covers the IR and the type rating in the one flight it is never an issue. You get them both at the same time. The only pre-requisite for a multi crew rating course is MCC and the performance exam.

Good luck with the new job.

Pub User
22nd Dec 2003, 16:22
I have the same experience as above. My IR had lapsed by about 6 months when I completed the type-rating, and no problems were experienced. Some TR courses aslo include MCC (mine did), so that may also be an unnecessary expense.