PDA

View Full Version : PPL training time in the US

Oneday78
17th Dec 2003, 18:24
Looking into the possiblilty of doing the PPL out in the US and I'm pricing up the options and the savings do seem to be real when EVERYTHING is taken into account. However, I would like to know if it can be done in 3 weeks (with not too much pressure) as I have seen on some threads.

Just as this will effect holiday time and costs etc.
As background I was thinking of going in Feb/March time so the weather should be ok and not delay (?) and it's out of season, therefore cheaper for car rental, flights etc.

onehunga
17th Dec 2003, 19:09
Depends on YOU really. I did mine in 3 weeks but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. I had about 2 years previous to going to Florida clocked up about 20 hours but for various reasons didn't finish. So thinking that the only way I was going to get through it was to get onto an intensive course free of weather delays etc Florida it was!!

Now think of a typical day. Up at 6-7am, bit of brekkie and perhaps study, then get to school. Brief with instructor, check plane, fuel, weather, fly for an hour or 2. Land, refuel, befrief. THEN hit books, eat lunch whilst studying, brief with instructor, fly for an hour or 2. etc etc. Go home with the other students to the shared accomodation at say 6pm, grab a bite to eat. Hit the books, get to bed hopefully before midnight or when you find yourself not retaining anything more or your eyelids drooping. Next morning it all starts over again.

That would be an average day for the entire 3 weeks. Obviously as soon as you can start knocking off the ground exams a bit of the pressure will be removed. Of course that then gets thrown back on you with things like your first solo, cross country planning and of course the skill test.

Had a ball though it had to be said. And it was quite nice sitting out in the sun studying in Florida working on my tan. If I was you though I would try and knock off the exams before you go so that you can just "enjoy" the flying which don't forget is one of the reasons why you are doing it in the first place.

PM me if you want any more details.

PS: Before anyone else says it, don't expect to have any time to do sightseeing although you might find you need 1 day aviation free just to relax!!

Julian
18th Dec 2003, 16:46
I wont post reems as I have done an account before of what it cost me, etc which you can prob search for but my advice would be:

1) Allow 4 weeks for the PPL.

2) DONT take your missus unless she fully understands she wont see until about 6pm each even (no nagging to take her to Disneyworld, etc ! :D )

3) DO THE EXAMS BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE UK!!!!! This is probably the biggest piece of advice I can give, you only have to concentrate on the flying then.

Julian.

Aim Far
18th Dec 2003, 17:54
You can do it in 3 weeks, but if you allow 4 it takes the pressure off a bit. I did mine in 3 but we only lost 2 days to weather. The extra days allow you time for sightseeing, or a night rating or a trip away.

The studying is not as bad as onehunga makes out - you will have time for some evenings out, just not every evening.

englishal
18th Dec 2003, 23:40
DONT take your missus
What a great excuse for a three week piss up :D