PDA

View Full Version : Tragic loss death of Doc Chamberlain

4HolerPoler
17th Dec 2003, 10:00
Very sad news; Doc will be remembered by many. A sad loss of a genteleman aviator. Fly safe Doc.

Pretoria - Flying was his life but sadly, it also caused his death.

Dr Thomas Chamberlain, 81, one of South Africa's oldest pilots, and a friend died instantly on Tuesday when their light aircraft crashed near the Magaliesburg mountains. Doc, as Chamberlain was affectionately known, died in the aircraft, while his friend, Thinus Hoffman, 61, was thrown two metres from the wreckage.
"What Doc did not know about flying wasn't worth knowing," said a distraught family friend on Tuesday. Chamberlain, who was in possession of a valid pilots licence also recently passed his medical examination.

Pilots older than 40 have to undergo an annual medical test and they have to do a flying test every two years in order to retain their licences. Chamberlain had been flying for 62 years and had experience in flying 37 different types of aircraft. The veteran pilot not only flew in World War II but had also been an instructor to pilots learning to fly Tiger Moths and Harvards. He was also recently honoured as a lifetime member of the Krugersdorp flying club. According to an eye witness, Bokkie Meyer, the plane had circled Hartbeesfontein without any problems. "Suddenly he (the pilot) turned too sharp. He nose dived, and the engine was running all the time," Meyer said.

Chamberlain had doctored people in the Hartbeesfontein district for decades, said Meyer. "He was one of those old-school doctors," he said. Both victims were residents of the Golden Harvest retirement centre in Magaliesburg. Chamberlain is survived by his wife, Shiela.

Rhodie
17th Dec 2003, 21:14
Sincere condolences to family and friends.

R.I.P. Doc

Gunship
22nd Dec 2003, 20:11
RIP Doc .. we will all remember you as a true Gentleman with Wings.

RIP DOC :(

My condolences to his family members and friends.

Gunzzzz

Flyboy737
4th Jan 2004, 01:28
I would like to take this opportunity to pay my last respect to Dr Tom, and share some personal information to PPRUNE members.

I met Dr Tom in 1983 just before I did pilots course in the SAAF. Doc and his wife Sheila lived across the road from my parents in Hekoort ( approx 25 Km west of HBV). On his farm he had an airstrip and he used to commute in and out of his farm to Johannesburg in the early days. The strip is still in operation today and is quite a challenge, as you land in a South Westerly direction and end up facing a line of huge trees at the end of the runway. If you are going to mess up the landing, you better think about the line of trees at the go - around end before you do so! Doc used to host fly-inn’s often in the 1980’s at his farm.

During my two years on pilots course (1984 and 1985), and thereafter Doc and I used to go fly often on Sunday mornings. He used to pick me up from my parents place at the crack of dawn to drive out to Lanseria. We used to fly back to Hekpoort and fly around in the D70 area doing stalls and spins.

As mentioned in the news papers Doc was a keen, and very competent instructor, and I picked up a lot of valuable instruction from him in this way! Doc and I became very good “mates” and I would visit him and Sheila, as often as I had a free weekend. Over time I picked up only “good habits” and excellent airmanship from Doc. He was an absolute Gentleman,and as a youngster he gave me a lot of guidance and advice. Today in aviation we measure all fellow aviators against “the perfect pilot” …. To me he has a name ….Dr Tom Chaimberlain.
His aviator’s legend lives on!

Flyboy 737