PDA

View Full Version : Field vision test for Class 1

red button
17th Dec 2003, 07:14
Just done my Class one renewal in Nicosia, Cyprus.
Was given a CAA form to take to an opthalmatrist to fill in. He had to do a full Field vision test. Takes over half an hour and is bloody boring. Almost fell asleep...
Worrying thing to do never the less!

soggyboxers
17th Dec 2003, 20:47
I recently did mine in London and was told that the new regulations about this come into effect on 1 January. It will be a requirement for all pilots over the age of (I think) 40 to have it done every 2 years. I was also told that this is just to make sure that as we become middle-age wed all have our regular check at the opticians.

BoeingMEL
26th Dec 2003, 02:30
These field vision tests are also useful in that they can detect early signs of optic neuritis and other probs. My Class 1 field vision test back in 97 showed a small blind spot in my right eye... undetected by me. 5 days of tests in hospital resulted in a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. The neuro assured me that early detection and treatment by steroids had hugely reduced the number and scale of the attacks which I would have suffered. Cope with the boredom! bm

Islander Jock
28th Dec 2003, 14:33
I suffered a bout of Central Serous Retinopathy in my right eye a couple of years back and still have a slight loss of central vision in that eye. The main thing they (CASA) keep wanting to confirm for my class 1 is that my peripheral vision is ok, so for me it's off the the ophthalmologist every year for a check.

Good thing is that the system provides an accurate map of your fields of vision and as BoeingMEL says, it can detect early signs of perhaps something more serious.

red button
30th Dec 2003, 17:19
I see. :8

Thanks for clearing that up. I suffer from mild myopia and some astigmatism. The thing that bothers me though, is that they (UK CAA) have made this test mandatory, only for wearers of corrective lenses.
Now, I aint a doctor of any kind, but I can't see the logic in only wearers of glasses having this test. :8
My BIG question is:
Wouldn't it be possible for ever pilots that dont need corrective lenses to have other medical problems with their eyesight :ouch:

Can anyone please enlighten me! :confused: