PDA

View Full Version : HTTP 401 login Error message

Agaricus bisporus
17th Dec 2003, 01:44
Every time I try to log into the members area of a website of which I am a registered member I get this HTTP 401 Login error message instead of the data entry box to put my name and password into.

The administrators haven't a clue. Can anyone help?

Front_Seat_Dreamer
18th Dec 2003, 05:09
What browser are you using?

This error is usually associated with an out of date browser.

FJJP
19th Dec 2003, 15:30
AB

I get the same, every time (I suspect the same site - fairly recently created?). I'm working on a solution [I'm not an expert, though] - I suspect it is tied up with the workstation settings. I, too, would appreciate some good words to help fix; mind you, AB, I find the whole system unbelievably slow. Bring back x400, I say!

sprocket
19th Dec 2003, 18:10
Have you re-checked your firewall settings?

Agaricus bisporus
19th Dec 2003, 22:09
FJJP, I think your guess is correct.

FSD. Windows XP and Office 97. Surely that cannot be out of date? I've had no such problems anywhere else.

Sprocket. Checked firewall settings for what, exactly?

Surely this error message means something? is there not a list of error messages somewhere that tells you what is wrong and how to fix it? If not what is the point of giving the error message a name?

I can't understand how I can click on every link on every website I use with no trouble and suddenly find it impossible to access just one that works for everyone else. It just don't make sense!

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

atco-matic
19th Dec 2003, 22:24
I have a similar thing... when I look at expedia's web page I can't see any of the pictures when I do a hotel search (just get the box with little red x in it). have emailed expedia who say there's nothing wrong their end... only happens on expedia so whats causing it?

sprocket
20th Dec 2003, 15:44
Agaricus: If your website uses a program in conjunction with your browser, then check your "program control" tab (ie ZA Firewall). This allows or stops programs from accessing the internet.

Have your "alerts events shown" tab selected to "on" to show you if a program is trying to access but needs permission from you.

PS. I'm not an expert but have had similar problems in the past. Good Luck.