PDA

View Full Version : Question?

tony draper
16th Dec 2003, 22:11
I seem to recal reading either here or the nostalgia forum that the Vulcan could out turn a lot of its generation of fighters, is ones memory at fault?

BEagle
16th Dec 2003, 23:49
Drapes, even on the IRT we had to fly 45 deg banked steep turns at M0.84 and FL430. So when one really went for it, the Lightning didn't stand much of a chance in hurling a Firewood or Red Flop at us; perhaps an F4 flying in lag pursuit might have been able to get off a stern AIM-7 shot, but the 'winder of the day wasn't much of a threat (this was pre-9 Lima or SEAM).

Recall once having a bit of a play above FL 500 against a very annoyed F4..... Also a turning fight against a CF-101 from Chatham - we managed to get into his 6 o'clock and track him nicely. Well annoyed, he was. But of course he'd already vapourised us from about 20 miles with his nasty nuclear-tipped missile.

When things like F-15 began to appear, the days of out-turning the fighters were sadly over; there we were, turning hard at FL450 and a F-15 formated on us and then overtook - on the inside.....!!

Firestreak
17th Dec 2003, 03:48
I love all these stories about how much better at height the Vulcan was than the Lightning----Fl 430, M0.84. hah!--time to start thinking about cranking the second donk into action.

BEagle
17th Dec 2003, 04:05
Yes - you could get there but you couldn't do anything when you did. Staright line, yes you could manage that. But turning? All we had to do was to hold you off for 5 minutes and you'd be running home on fumes;)

Airbedane
17th Dec 2003, 04:13
I remember being very wary of the Lightning when flying Jags in the 70's - that was until I saw one loosing a vertical sizzors with a Jag that was loaded with two tanks and 4 x 1000 pounders. I also learned that when away from a tanker and more than a few miles from home, we could also out run them and out turn them.

The Lightning was a great jet in it's day, but it didn't last as long as the Jaguar.

Akrotiri bad boy
17th Dec 2003, 04:42
The lightning may well have been a good kite in its day and the Jag may still be with us. But don't underestimate the mighty toom, remember the Jag shootdown?:uhoh:

soddim
17th Dec 2003, 05:43
But now, of course, much of the skill and cunning has been replaced by technology and we are to be network enabled instead.

Where's the fun in that?

Gainesy
17th Dec 2003, 15:16
Perhaps an "IT" brevet is in the offing?

BEagle
17th Dec 2003, 17:44
In the same style as FC - 'Fuse Changer' and CT - 'Complete Tw@t'?

Gainesy
17th Dec 2003, 20:46
Really Beags, thats not very complimentary.
I was told that FC stood for "F***ing Clueless". But it was a Nav doing the telling.:)

The Swinging Monkey
18th Dec 2003, 16:13
BEagle,

FC = Fuse Changer
Come on my dear chap, an FC wouldn't know what a fuse is!!

Gainsey' explanation is more credible!

By the way, merry christmas to you all - especially FC's (Tw@ts!)

Kind regards
The Swinging Monkey
'Caruthers - another mince pie and a large glass of nectar ol boy'

Engineer
18th Dec 2003, 16:30
Have you know as a FC was proud of it from gnats to 10s but never managed the elevated position of CT only the commissioned types seem to get that privilege :p