PDA

View Full Version : ???The Future for us at NCL???

Madtoonfan
16th Dec 2003, 19:13
Hello all, i am posting to help me find out the future for aircraft spotters and spotting in general th Newcastle. The Major plans have no improvement in spotting galleries.... Does this mean the end of spotters and viewing up here???
:confused:

my photography site---> http://gallery32137.fotopic.net

pure digital
17th Dec 2003, 02:59
:{ yes the :mad: at the Airport have said that the cafe will shut on the 5 jan 2004 :uhoh: BUT:rolleyes: they is the aeroclub :ok:

LGS6753
17th Dec 2003, 03:22
Yup, it's time to fold up the anorak, iron your socks and retire.
Is there life after Newcastle?

Britannia
18th Jan 2004, 01:08
Does this mean the end of spotters and viewing up here???

NO,NO,NO,NO,NO. :(

MerchantVenturer
18th Jan 2004, 03:07
Madtoonfan,

When I saw the thread heading I thought you were talking about Sir Bobby's boys for a minute.

I suppose as regional airports expand their once de facto status as a sort of local drop-in centre for anoraks, the mildly interested and the this-is-somewhere-different-to-get-a-pint brigade has to all but disappear.

Airports are for travellers and have to be as efficient in this regard as possible. If it happens that this can be coupled with a nice spot from which to watch the 'planes and, even better, obtain some refreshment whilst doing it, then so much the better.

I empathise with you up to a point because my local airport at BRS, in going from 2 million to 4 million annual pax, has had to say to spotters and others wanting to watch the aircraft, "Sorry, our new terminal is designed to deal with passenger flow, not to provide a viewing gallery."

The old terminal had a bar and restaurant that gave a splendid view of the apron. Many local people used to pop in of a summer evening to sup a pint or two and watch the aircraft. The new terminal's main bar gives no view whatsoever of the apron, and the burger bars area gives only a partial view around struts and pillars.

Several non-anoraks (of both sexes) have told me how they used to enjoy the occasional trip to watch the planes and have a drink, and they bemoan the current situation.

I always say I prefer a burgeoning airport with new routes, airlines and an efficient operation to providing a place just to watch aeroplanes. Of course if you can have both, all well and good.

BRS management do say they will try to provide somewhere to watch the aircraft but I suspect with the current security situation this is a non-starter. Anyway, there is plenty of room at the far end of the airfield, on a country lane, for real enthusiasts to see the take-offs and landings.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
18th Jan 2004, 03:18
Hi Madtoonfan

2 choices really

1. Move to Manchester

2. Ask your friendly airport management to speak to Manchester
Airports friendly management to find out how they can run both a busy airport and a very good viewing area which does actually create money for the airport

Good luck

Golf India Bravo

PH-UKU
18th Jan 2004, 04:10
MV wrote "Airports are for travellers and have to be as efficient in this regard as possible."

Are you an accountant by any chance ? ;)

<rant on>

Whole attitude by airport owners is pish and they need a boot up the arse!

Take BAA .... ...... (far away, please). Shopping centre mentality that has driven out enthusiasts (or anoraks as some of you rather unkindly say ;) and flying clubs.

IMHO it is acting against the whole spirit of aviation. How do these :mad: beancounters think they are going to encourage the next generation of pilots, engineers and controllers (to fly, maintain and control the aeroplanes that make their profit) if they are denied opportunities to watch, learn and fly ?

Oh I forget, there is no long term plan - short term profit is all that counts.

<rant over>

My advice, put up a fight and make your point. If a bully just gets away with it, they keep bullying - look at the BAA.

MerchantVenturer
18th Jan 2004, 05:35
PH-UKU

No, I'm not an accountant and never have been, nor anything like it. Never worked in aviation or the travel industry either.

My position is that of a person who is interested in civil aviation, although I have never collected aircraft numbers or anything like that. I enjoy the ambience of airports, any airport large or small, and I love seeing airliners, again large or small, strutting their stuff. I often go out to BRS to watch the activity and can quite easily follow events from the perimeter public road, a country lane actually, but there is a large pull-in that can accommodate probably thirty or forty cars. Even has a resident ice cream van in summer.

I have watched my local airport (BRS) grow over the past twenty years or so from basically a charter field with an annual thoughput of just over a quarter of a million pax to a point where today it is an important regional airport with 4 million annual pax, and with more scheduled flights and pax than charter.

The old airport terminal was homely and friendly but not very efficient as the pax numbers grew. The new terminal is perhaps more sterile but it does the job, although at times even it is not always big enough.

Any future pilots, atcos or engineers have the benefit at BRS of seeing a much busier airport than was once the case in operation, although they may have to inconvenience themselves a tiny bit to see it. That would stop anyone bent on an aviation career I am sure.