PDA

View Full Version : Aircrew Retention

Vage Rot
16th Dec 2003, 18:56
Anyone out there managed to defer acceptance of PAS until after next year's level of FRI2 is known - or made acceptance of PAS conditional on it remaining at £50K??

Just coming up to the 38 point so any advice/experience appreciated!!

Cheers

VageR

Tonkenna
17th Dec 2003, 00:18
Hope your not an ME pilot cause you may not need to worry about it at all :*

RubiC Cube
17th Dec 2003, 01:18
If I was a betting man, I'd guess FRIs will be a lot lower or even non-existant next year.

BEagle
17th Dec 2003, 01:29
Don't drop the pins from the black-and-yellow handles, chaps.

Perhaps reTENTion is the nub for some?

Down 4 Reprogram
17th Dec 2003, 05:52
On a similar vain, back when the FRI’s were introduced, the following was one question and answer from the original Q&A Brief:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question

Having made a career decision (immediate pension point minus one year), which was influenced by the amount of ARR FRI 2 at that time, can that decision be reversed should the ARR FRI be subsequently reduced?

Answer given at the time

We are examining this issue with a view to finding a solution. We will make proposals to the Armed Forces’ Pay Review Body about how reductions might be managed which we hope will avoid the need for this to arise. We will inform you of the outcome of those discussions as soon as it is available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know the official situation on this now?

Cheers

D4R

Down 4 Reprogram
18th Dec 2003, 01:54
Finally managed to speak to someone far enough up the Admin food chain to get a decent answer to our queries.

FRI’s and PA are considered separate issues, totally independent of each other. You must accept an offer of PA not later than 12 months to go to your 38/16 point. Signing on signifies that you accept the Terms of Service of PA, which make no mention of FRI’s or their value.

So, VR, I think your chances of deferring your final decision about accepting PA are negligible. As to the question I posted earlier, if you accept PA based on receiving a given FRI, which is then reduced/binned completely – tough, you should have been psychic!

I for one will take any FRI as a welcome extra, and hope that I don’t get a UB40 instead.

D4R

Training Risky
18th Dec 2003, 02:26
Tonkenna,

Are you implying that ME pilots reaching their 16/38 point will not be assimilated or offered PA due to the huge ME surplus?:confused:

Tonkenna
18th Dec 2003, 05:13
That may well be true:(

Vage Rot
18th Dec 2003, 05:20
Thanks for confirming pretty much what i thought!! will just have to get the vaselene out and oil the bat ready!!!

Have to have words with my mum, if she'd have held out another week or so then I'd have:
a. got a bigger FRI 1
b. had all the facts available post Apr 1

******, ******, ******!

Follow Me Through
18th Dec 2003, 10:20
Vage Rot

Been out over a year and unless things have changed - your PMA desk officer can delay your 12-month point decision by a couple of months on his own authority. Then his boss can do the same by another couple of months. It then brings the a. decision point to the b. exit point to about 8 months. Working on the assumption that you have max resettlement, carried leave, annual leave, etc(4 months-ish) you can make the decision and be out in about 4 months. You can fax the offer of assimilation back on the last day.
I know numerous people in the past(self included) who played the game and asked for more time to make the decision due to influences. 1001 variations that justify the support of the desk guys who should be flexible after that many years service. After all the system has assessed you as above average and worth keeping.

Good luck

Mmmmnice
19th Dec 2003, 04:33
Please don't tell me it might actually become fashionable to be a rotary driver? or that someone needs them - shome mistake surely!

Vage Rot
19th Dec 2003, 15:59
F.M.T,

Thanks, I'll speak to the man in the New year! Only need to defer it a few weeks so shouldn't be a snag hopefully!!

Arty,

Surely competition for PAS implies that most people want to stay!!! In which case do we need retention incentives??!! Perhaps worth starting an ASCOT campaign to not accept offers of PAS until the last day!! At least keep them sweating on the figures and may result in decent FRI!!!

Happy Crimbo to all of you and safe flying, mind you, unless I get my A55 back in the air soon this desk stands more chance of killing me than an aeroplane ever did!

Vage R
:D

NoseGunner
19th Dec 2003, 17:04
Just a thought:

What's the general opinion of splitting up FRI, depending on your role / branch?
Wouldn't it make sense, for example, to pay rotary guys more FRI if we were short of them, and multi engine guys less? Likewise, if we're short of pilots but not navs (or vice versa) why not pay different FRI rates?
Personally, before any goes for the "devisive" argument I would just like to say that I think that that argument is bollocks.

:cool: