PDA

View Full Version : Experimental Category

Dupre
16th Dec 2003, 07:45
What are the restrictions for operating an aircraft (in NZ) in the experimental category?

Are you allowed to fly over congested areas?

I can't seem to find any reference to it in the rules.

Cheers,

Dupre.

Black Baron
23rd Dec 2003, 02:37
NZ CAA AC21-3A (Special Category Airworthiness Certicate)
No operation over a congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over an open area assembly of persons

or

Rule 91.105 Operating a special category aircraft.
no hire / reward, unless flight training;
no operating over built up area except for take off / landing
must inform everyone on board of special category status

:ok:

poteroo
23rd Dec 2003, 05:12
Don't be put off by current 'restrictions' on Experimental Cat.

The industry is slowly, ever so, coming to accept that a kit from a reputable manufacturer, built sensibly with assistance, is every bit as good an aircraft as half the GA tincans flying around the world.

Kit aircraft, built in EXP Cat are setting new standards that GA can only dream about - eg, we are currently building one here in which we'll have a full EFIS display running within 3 months.

As an example - look at the VANS RV series, (3,4,6,6A,7,7A,8,8A,9,9A and now the 4 seat 10). There are over 3000 flying, and another 8000 still in construction. The reason for their popularity is their strength,and performance.

Yesterday I needed to pick up some important papers at a location 176nm from here. My round trip airborne time was 2.2 hrs, flown at 8500, and 9500. My TAS was just on 170, with a fuel burn of 35 LPH. The aircraft is an RV6 with 180HP and CSU.

Sure, CASA require a placard in the cockpit informing the innocent that 'this aircraft isn't maintained to the same standards as airline aircraft'. Neither are most of the tin cans we use for training, and their engines are old too.

Frankly, I'd back my RV, with factory new Lycoming, factory new Garmin avionics etc etc...annualled by a LAME.....against a 30 yr old trainer on any test of safety over congested areas.

Just a few thoughts,

cheers,