PDA

View Full Version : Mecir

PropDuster
15th Dec 2003, 18:13
Alas the time has come to trade up to a bugsmasher with 2 donks instead of one and the alleged "real flying job". One needs to get the dreaded MECIR first. Top of my flying school hit list at the moment is JAS in Port Macquarie. They appear to offer an integrated (IREX+flying) course at V reasonable rates. Would appreciate any feedback from you guys/gals in the know.
They also offer ICUS at unbelievsble rates in BE58, sounds a little to good to be true.

Cheerz
Prop

404 Titan
15th Dec 2003, 20:14
PropDuster

If you are currently living in Townsville, I would personally use Bob Harris at Innisfail instead of going all the way to Port Macquarie. He has a very good reputation, particularly with operators in Cairns and the Torres Straits where a large number of his students end up. He has a reputation of being as tough as nails on his CPL and IF students but this is what you really want at the end of the day as you are striving for a professional license, not a recreational one. He does all testing in house as well. Give him a call on 07 40612241. He also has accommodation on the field if the driving from Townsville is too much.
:ok: :)

Natit
16th Dec 2003, 07:44
Isn't some of the rating done on a 182? This would certainly keep costs down... any info would be great

N

Torres
16th Dec 2003, 14:46
Bob Harris is very highly recommended. One of the best. :ok:

Take heaps of change for the Aero Club Bar opening at 1700 hrs daily! :ok:

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
16th Dec 2003, 14:54
JAS offer the theory & flying, no other schools i know of do that, and they accomodate you, a really great mob. A baron is alot more challenging than a most light training twin.

Xcel
17th Dec 2003, 19:28
don't know why ou are paying for ICUS, find a charter company to do your rating and you can get a useful 20 hrs ICUS for nothing.

gary gearbox
18th Dec 2003, 07:08
I would not have thought many charter companies would be all that keen to give free icus after an endorsment? Does it happen much? Most dont even let you pay for the "privilage".

GG

Poto
18th Dec 2003, 12:25
We cannot do the icus thing, even on freight runs. Our insurance won't cover it from either the instructing side or the charter. You have to be a paid crewmember or paying passenger! :ugh:

The Chef
18th Dec 2003, 16:13
Try QAS at Caloundra. 07 5492 7040. They have some reasonable deals on at the moment. You do some in a C172 and the rest in a PA34. I did all my training with them and they are great!

The Chef

PropDuster
18th Dec 2003, 18:18
Cheers for the feedback guys

Not a small part of my reason for looking a JAS is the fact they do the rating in a Baron and therefore you end up BE58/55 endorsed as well. I've heard that alot of operators around won't even give you a Baron endorsement unless you have quite a bit of ME time already, too hard apparently??

404 & Torres

Yep Bob is definitly the man from what I've heard as well. Alas no Baron on line though and Duchess (although nice to fly, i've heard) not all that impressive in the log book, at least to potential employer.

Regards and Blue Sky
Prop

leans404
26th Dec 2003, 20:37
check out: www.airsouth.com.au

thats where I went

Natit
27th Dec 2003, 13:04
Leans.

Could you please drop me a PM and let me know how you went at AS and what exactly you did..

Thanks in advance.

N

PropDuster
13th Feb 2004, 21:08
Any thoughts on which is better, getting IREX theory before flying or doing it integrated style?

Floody
13th Feb 2004, 22:03
PropDuster, definitely do the IREX before you attempt any of the flying. It makes it a lot easier in that when you start your flying, you can do it all at once. No stopping if you didn't pass that prick of an exam and need to wait another 2 weeks before you fly again.

I'd definitely recommend doing the MECIR at Johnston's. Having done my MECIR with them, as well as GFPT right through to CPL, can attest to the friendliness of the flying school, and the very professional training offered. Plus, they offer the free accommodation at the student house.

The aircraft are very well looked after, and nice machines to fly. The first few navs are done in the 182, just to get you into the swing of IFRing, then you do the rest in the Baron.

Give them a call if you haven't already. Anyone in there would be more than happy to help you.

Their website is: http://www.johnstonaviation.com/index2.html

Floody