PDA

View Full Version : Network Problems

HelenD
15th Dec 2003, 06:25
Hope someone can help.
I have recently got a Netgear ADSL/Router/Switch/Firewall device DG834G. I have 3 computers on the network 2 running windows 98 and the other running windows XP. One of the Windows 98PC's has a wireless card. All 3 PC's can access the Internet OK, the XP PC can see all 3 PC's but if you try to view folders/ files on one of the Win 98PC's a message comes up saying that the XP PC does not have access rights. All 3 PC's have file sharing enabled and they all have TCP/IP. Neither of the Windows 98PC's see anything in the network neighbouhood and they arent allowed to browse the network. Any ideas where I am going wrong?

25F
15th Dec 2003, 11:59
Do you have ZoneAlarm (or some other "personal firewall") running? Sometimes this messes up the Windows filesharing. If you are you'll probably need to put the other PCs in each firewall's "trsuted zone".

Are you familiar with using the "net" command at the command line? This can be useful for diagnostics:
http://www.computerhope.com/nethlp.htm

amanoffewwords
15th Dec 2003, 15:08
Apart from enabling sharing have you shared anything? i.e if in file manager you right click on my documents and select properties have you been to the sharing tab to activate sharing for that resource.

The win 98 can't see the network thinky is also happening on my home network which is very similar to yours - haven't had the time or inclination to look into it but I suspect it's something to do with win98 not being that network friendly as XP.

hth
amofw

HelenD
16th Dec 2003, 02:07
I have shared several resources on my Win 98 PC and a few things on the XP PC. I have not looked in to the NET command thanks for the pointer. I have added all the IP adresses of the network into the Zone alarms trusted zone on the XP PC by putting in the range, I have not done the same with the Win 98 PC's but I will give that a go.
Could it be the router switch box needs the RIP turning on or should I add in all the PC's manually somewhere, I have noticed that neither of the Win 98PC names are listed against their corresponding IP/MAC adress in the router and I wonder if that could be the problem. I have left the router to determine the internal IP adresses itself at the moment