PDA

View Full Version : Am I insane???

noelwj
15th Dec 2003, 04:50
Am I insame???
I am 41 years old. I have had a PPL for 20 years, TT250 hours, have just sold my business and am in a position to make my lifes ambition come true, i.e. to get a commercial licence. I have already passed my class 1. medical, been accepted into OAT Oxford Aviation Training. With the down turn in the industry, am I insame to go any further with my plans in the hope of getting a job. Any advise would be most useful. Thank You. Noelwj. :O

flufdriver
15th Dec 2003, 04:59
Assuming for the moment that you still need to earn a living, further assuming that your business was successfull when you sold it, then you are perhaps in danger of being considered insane for not having posed the question before you sold out.

noelwj
15th Dec 2003, 05:07
In reply to flufdriver, Yes, business was very sucessful. But am I insane to even consider the aviation industry in its present climate???

411A
15th Dec 2003, 05:10
Considering the present climate...yes.:sad:

topman999
15th Dec 2003, 05:14
Have got to agree with the rest on this. Its crazy stuff unless you have contacts in the industry ?? Many unemployed Boeing and Airbus guys out there now with '000s of hrs behind them. That said, you never know - tremendous luck needed in this business. Best of luck anyway :ok:

Twin2040
15th Dec 2003, 05:25
Hi - First good luck if you step into the professionally part ao aviation. But ...... be realistic do not exspect to get any streamlined career when starting at age 41 and 250 hours. Further not many jobs around. If your business sale where succesfull enough to support you though your training and a few years afterwards - go ahead, but only - if I may advice - if that is really what you want to do. The business and the jobs in general are not that good anymore. Flying around VFR on your PPL is good fun, but talking for my self. Hauling cargo at night in Europe is hard work.

BigHitDH
15th Dec 2003, 05:28
I say go for it pal. 41 years old is still young enough to get back into whatever you were doing before if it doesn't work out.

Remember, it's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't done.

You only get one stab at life, it's not a rehersal. I wish you the best of luck.

kinsman
15th Dec 2003, 06:00
Yes you are insane for all the above reasons. But here is the rub, you only live once! If you really want it, do it! But know what you are getting into, this is not the career it once was and at 41 the odds are against you getting a job with a good company, however; you may get a lucky break.

Good luck!

:ok:

wbryce
15th Dec 2003, 06:54
Go for it!!!

Its atleast a happy 10 years of something you love doing!

if things stay current in the market in 2005 its due to pick up so if you do your course now you could be slotting yourself in nicely.

Tinstaafl
15th Dec 2003, 08:43
The likelyhood of realising a flying job depends on what sort of flying job you want to achieve. Your mature age gives you a benefit when it comes to smaller airlines/air taxi/flying schools: You're a lot less likely to move on to a 'big' airline. That's a good thing for the employer.

Not impossible to get a job with a large airline at some point but the odds are not as good as for someone in their 20s. How big a drop in income are you willing to accept?

May I suggest you consider more carefully which forum is most appropriate to your question(s)?

miss d point
15th Dec 2003, 14:54
tinstaffa, give the bloke a break,how many times do you look at the other forums, i know i don't he just wants some advice.

Go for it but don't do it for the money or the glory cause there ain't alot to be had,99% of pilots started on their way because of a love of flying and terms and conditions compared to other industries didn't come into it, make no mistake flying for a living bears no resemblance to having fun in a pa28 - the choice is yours but if you really want it don't even worry about the current market - unless your a baron you ain't gonna be in it for a few years.

regards

BoeingMEL
15th Dec 2003, 17:43
My questions are:
1: Can you afford to lose/write off the training costs?
2: Can you afford to support yourself (and any dependants) for the next 3-5 years?
3: Have you spoken to a number of airline pilots to establish exactly what airline life is really like?

My advice is:
1: If you can justify the cost and time, go for it.
2: Keep a grip on reality. Even with the training hours added to your present 250 TT, you will be seen (in your mid-forties) as "mature" and relatively low time.
3: Having been involved in front line of pilot selection and recruitment I would strongly urge you NOT to believe that any prospective employer would see your age as some sort of advantage. Most know from experience that the applicant in his/her mid 20s is likely to complete type and base training more quickly (= less expensively) than a similarly experienced candidate who is 20 years older.
4: Get "Plan B" firmly in place for when/if it all turns to sileage!

BUT! If those halcyon days of pilot shortages do ever return, you should get a post if you're walm, walking and with a Class 1!

Good luck bm

B737NG
15th Dec 2003, 19:36
Hi,

If You can bridge the time while you learn with money and you dont hesitate to go for it then remember this :

Dont dream your life ..... live your dream

If You can stand the odds of the job in the beginning then you
will have a chance for the success in the next 10 Years. I wish
you all the best and good luck for all the checks you have to pass.

Allways happy landings

NG

Tinstaafl
15th Dec 2003, 20:02
Miss d point, I think you've....erm....missed the point.

I answered the persons question. Additionally there IS a more appropriate forum. Have you noticed this thread was moved to a more appropriate forum? That's why there are descriptions given for each forum's purpose.

no reds
16th Dec 2003, 10:38
Missy D . . difficult to breath your spirit into somebody else - hope you keep trying :)

Clear_Prop
17th Dec 2003, 00:26
To quote my doc at my recent medical: "We all qualify for a free hour on the shrink's couch for wanting to be pilots in the first place!" ;)

If some of the replies on here seem a bit one sided, just remember this - airlines do not just look at pilot applicants in terms of whether or not they can operate the latest wizzbang-doobryflip-glx-mk7 and how many hours they have to back this up; they are also essentially looking at whether the applicant is able to work under pressure in a position of leadership and management. Having run your own business the odds are good that you can outsell quite a few people on this point, so just make sure you build that into your profile when the time comes.

Just go for it and best of luck! :)